Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

So we fold like a deck of cards when the game was there to be won early - playing like the same headless chooks with shocking skills- kick some late goals when the cue is in the rack for the opposition, and now many of you are lauding Ross for playing “attacking” football and showing the media and his detractors up?!

But last week the majority here said we “didn’t have the cattle” to play attacking football?!

Another confusing day for the followers of Ross Lyon FC.

Today showed a coach out of his depth trying desperately to respond to the (rightful) barrage he copped last week.

Well, he tried to open up more. But the game was over by quarter time and our defence leaked like a sieve. He doesn’t have the skillset to coach in an attacking way. He only knows defence.

Last quarter, in desperation (and in junk time) he throws all the chess pieces in the air and the chaos catches the opposition off guard.

Amazingly, the chaos had his team score the same amount of goals in one quarter as he’d scored the entire previous game.

I think I’ll have to have another sip of the Kool-Aid and watch a genius Ross presser, while lauding the master coach’s turn of phrase.

What has our club and fanbase become?! Millionaire presidents choosing out-of-date coaches on yachts, paying them millions without a process, and we just swallow up whatever we are given.

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.

Who do you suggest we replace Ross Lyon with?

Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho or Jurgen Klopp?

They are all great football coaches but they all struggled to get their teams to kick more than 7 goals like Ross Lyon did tonight.

Clark stood out like dogs balls in the last while every one else was taking the game on and running hard defensively. Was slow and always 5 meters off his opponent.

Same story as always. Has the skills but **** me he’s unfit and slow.
And in the third he was the only one who could hit a target left or right.

Were already playing a lot of youth but Ross, Jones and Membrey need to be replaced. Good servants but it's time. Put Garcia and Owens on the ball. Stick with Dow but rest Steele. I'd rotate Webster though there too.
Campbell is good we should chase a good tap ruckman that's moneyball. Marshall is just the best floating big man around ground.
Higgins plays better and kicks more goals when Butler plays. Makes me think Stengle will be a good get if he comes.
I feel like we're delisting a lot of players this year.
The core group of youth already brought in are very good. We'll keep adding elite talent. This is the way.

So we fold like a deck of cards when the game was there to be won early - playing like the same headless chooks with shocking skills- kick some late goals when the cue is in the rack for the opposition, and now many of you are lauding Ross for playing “attacking” football and showing the media and his detractors up?!

But last week the majority here said we “didn’t have the cattle” to play attacking football?!

Today showed a coach out of his depth trying desperately to respond to the (rightful) barrage he copped last week.

Well, he tried to open up more. But the game was over by quarter time and our defence leaked like a sieve. He doesn’t have the skillset to coach in an attacking way. He only knows defence.

Last quarter, in desperation (and in junk time) he throws all the chess pieces in the air and the chaos catches the opposition off guard.

Amazingly, the chaos had his team score the same amount of goals in one quarter as he’d scored the entire previous game.

I think I’ll have to have another sip of the Kool-Aid and watch a genius Ross presser, while lauding the master coach’s turn of phrase.

What has our club and fanbase become?! Millionaire presidents choosing out-of-date coaches on yachts, paying them millions without a process, and we just swallow up whatever we are given.

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.
So since you know he won't be sacked, what's your end game? To go to the board with presidential challenge? Or just annoy people who want to enjoy supporting their team?

Where was all this vitriol in the Richo and Ratts years, or were they getting their teams beautiful football? Last question: please suggest a head coach who you think St Kilda should employ, once we've sacked our 3rd coach in 6 years.

Last edited:

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.
KfvBDjL.gif

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.
Sums it up generally.

Thought that was a great effort, really decent performance that would have been a win against a lot of other teams. Great to see the spirit. They'll enjoy the bye. Not a lot went our way. Arie should stay in. Battle has been quiet. Some leaders really stepping up, namely Sinclair/Hill/Ro/Wilkie. Liked the dual ruck experiment, feel like it let's Marshall use his strengths around the ground and TC ain't too bad. Cordy might be past it.

Here's my main takeaway from this.

We go into a game with basically every disadvantage - poor recent form, lose 3 key players from last week, QLD team in QLD, home team umpiring, shit draw and unbalanced byes, younger and less experienced team.

And yet
  • We prove we can stick with them and get close to pinching a win
  • Let the gameplan cook and experiment with players in different roles
  • Don't actually get those now useless four points, which at this point would only serve to worsen our draft hand
Would be happy to lose every game for the rest of the season by 1 point if it meant we can keep developing the kids and load up for a fresh tilt next season

Spongebob Squarepants Rainbow GIF
Summed it up for mine.

Imagine what might be possible with a half decent midfield. Not one cracked 20 disp. Hopefully they get a bit of confidence from that performance though.
On this, I swear the is where football is going to. Not looking at stats, but we dominated clearance at times but it literally means nothing if you can win the ball back.

Transition football is where it's at, which makes me think Jagga won't be that bad of a draftee after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good to see us actually hit some leads in the forward 50. Feels like we had more this game than in the last 4 games combined. Max looks close to unstoppable when he is running into the flight of the ball rather than having the ball sat on top of his head.

It's also good to see guys running into the 50 actually have a crack at the goals rather than trying to find a team-mate. Yeah it doesn't always work and the Sinclair to Higgins kick was lucky but it's so frustrating when a player could run to 40m out and instead kicks to a 50-50 contest at best that leads to a turnover.

Hopefully it doesn't require us being 5 goals down for us to play like we did in the last quarter in the future. We need to bottle that effort and endeavour and make that the standard going forward.

Seeing Max King take a mark on a lead after calling for it all season

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I know it’s easy to point to the ruck duo as the reason for the clearance dominance but we had the same dominance last week with Marshall by himself. I’ve got no idea how it’s happening given who’s in there and I don’t expect it to last but don’t think we can give all the credit to the dual rucks.

Actually liked Hammer in defence. Yeah Daniher kicked 2 on him, but it was a high scoring game and Daniher is their main man. He took a few good intercept grabs and looked mostly comfortable, worth persisting with IMO.

What a debut by Arie though, made 1 or 2 defensive errors, but also beat Charlie Cameron in a 1 on 1 a few times. His kicking is something else, one of the kick-ins that was a 55 laser off 2 steps.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm happy with how we went in all honesty. We looked like a top 8 side all night aside from the first quarter. Played with heart, can't ask for more than that. In my mind, that game was a win, and would have been if not for the umpiring in the last quarter.

No point thinking about finals anymore, just looking for positive signs that we're on the right track and this was one.

So after weeks, months, years of asking the selectors to at least try looking at Campbell and Marshall in combo it happens last night when I couldn't watch the game.

How come Campbell played? How did it work out?

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.

You do realise that the opposition has agency and can affect the way we play?
There are other factors such as form, availability and cohesion.
You seem to think that a coach can write "fast, skilful, possession based football based on practiced patterns of running" and then just sit back on a Saturday afternoon and watch it unfold. But wonder why our coach doesn't.

Maybe the strong finishing is due to the running capacity identified publicly eighteen months ago?

Anthony Caminiti gets some serious love that I’ve just never understood. I see a bit there but have never felt he’ll make it at the level. Oh well, hoping I’m wrong.
He's got more upside than Sharman but yeah I agree, he's still got a way to go to prove himself.

Interesting he's now finding himself in the backline, did some nice things down there in the last quarter against the suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back