Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Steele got tagged and he still scored more Supercoach points than Sooky Neale who got free kicks due to Windhager owning him.

Hunter Clark and Dow are making a difference in the inside midfield battle but we still miss Crouch and another quality inside mid.

I'm more buoyant after the loss tonight than I was after our win last week, we took it up to Brisbane at the Gabba against the refs

Got to LOVE RTB…

managed to bring up the inequities of the byes, the price paid for NGAs by the northern clubs AND the F/S all in one presser, in a very self-deprecating manner, like he was joking, but he clearly was not.

Tonight shows we have the basis of a good team. Some good kids. Arie a great debut. Things to work on for sure. Good moments for Wilson. He needs a rest though. We lack a midfield with class. And a bit more polish here and there. We know that. But it is encouraging elsewhere.

I am loving Ross’s pressers. He is like water torture. To the AFL. The Academies / F/S / draft concessions. Inability to obtain free agents. Inequity. He gives them a clip (with humor) every time. Classic. You can bag Ross all you like, but none of our previous coaches could do it so well.

We know Bassat has brought this up, so Ross just keeps piling it on. I’m not sure what we hope to gain. We won’t get a Priority Pick. But what?

Maybe something from our Academy? Access to better players from there than the current Pick 40? Or lining up compensation for losing players to Free Agency?

We need to get a couple of top players in the middle. The club are trying very hard! I’m liking their approach. On the front foot

Got to LOVE RTB…

managed to bring up the inequities of the byes, the price paid for NGAs by the northern clubs AND the F/S all in one presser, in a very self-deprecating manner, like he was joking, but he clearly was not.

He fights the good fight for us in his pressers and the media all take notice of him as he is one of the few coaches that isn't boring

No one took notice of what Richo or Ratten said in their pressers, RTB still gets more notice in WA for his pressers than Longmuir.

I was a bit mystified by that crucial centre bounce that clearly went McInerney's way but wasn't recalled, in the last quarter. Then we get one go our way and it's recalled.
I think the difference was when their ruckman was favoured by the bounce our ruckman still contested it. When it favoured us, their ruckman just stood there because they couldn't be bothered and expected it to be recalled which is likely what the umpire went off.
I imagine it looks better if they recall it rather than our ruckman getting the clearance and then having supporters and the media whinging about it.

Tonight shows we have the basis of a good team. Some good kids. Arie a great debut. Things to work on for sure. Good moments for Wilson. He needs a rest though. We lack a midfield with class. And a bit more polish here and there. We know that. But it is encouraging elsewhere.

I am loving Ross’s pressers. He is like water torture. To the AFL. The Academies / F/S / draft concessions. Inability to obtain free agents. Inequity. He gives them a clip (with humor) every time. Classic. You can bag Ross all you like, but none of our previous coaches could do it so well.

We know Bassat has brought this up, so Ross just keeps piling it on. I’m not sure what we hope to gain. We won’t get a Priority Pick. But what?

Maybe something from our Academy? Access to better players from there than the current Pick 40? Or lining up compensation for losing players to Free Agency?

We need to get a couple of top players in the middle. The club are trying very hard! I’m liking their approach. On the front foot
Club hasn’t had the balls to bring any of this up without Ross fighting the fight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be giving Tom Campbell another year for ruck depth. Very serviceable and it relives the pressure of rushing Max Health into the seniors. No point delisting Campbell unless a really good ruck becomes available via trade.

It was good to see us actually hit some leads in the forward 50. Feels like we had more this game than in the last 4 games combined. Max looks close to unstoppable when he is running into the flight of the ball rather than having the ball sat on top of his head.

It's also good to see guys running into the 50 actually have a crack at the goals rather than trying to find a team-mate. Yeah it doesn't always work and the Sinclair to Higgins kick was lucky but it's so frustrating when a player could run to 40m out and instead kicks to a 50-50 contest at best that leads to a turnover.

Hopefully it doesn't require us being 5 goals down for us to play like we did in the last quarter in the future. We need to bottle that effort and endeavour and make that the standard going forward.

I’ve never had this thought before and I’ve always rated Steele so highly but I’ve had enough now I’d trade him.
Problem is now you might only get a second rounder on current form and age. That hypothetical second rounder pick could then blow out to equal pick 40 once you factor academy selections.

Club hasn’t had the balls to bring any of this up without Ross fighting the fight
All scared of HQ. Ross clearly isn’t. His media stint is bearing fruit. Well, trying to anyway. We’ve been pushovers our whole history.

Got to LOVE RTB…

ZC0Tw7h.gif

I’d be giving Tom Campbell another year for ruck depth. Very serviceable and it relives the pressure of rushing Max Health into the seniors. No point delisting Campbell unless a really good ruck becomes available via trade.

Tom had a crack tonight and he is a good tap ruckman, he beat the Big uncO several times but he is a liability around the ground.

Cordy must have been bad tonight to get subbed off before him as Ross said he planned to sub off TC in the second half for Jones.

Here's my main takeaway from this.

We go into a game with basically every disadvantage - poor recent form, lose 3 key players from last week, QLD team in QLD, home team umpiring, shit draw and unbalanced byes, younger and less experienced team.

And yet
  • We prove we can stick with them and get close to pinching a win
  • Let the gameplan cook and experiment with players in different roles
  • Don't actually get those now useless four points, which at this point would only serve to worsen our draft hand
Would be happy to lose every game for the rest of the season by 1 point if it meant we can keep developing the kids and load up for a fresh tilt next season

Spongebob Squarepants Rainbow GIF

Here's my main takeaway from this.

We go into a game with basically every disadvantage - poor recent form, lose 3 key players from last week, QLD team in QLD, home team umpiring, shit draw and unbalanced byes, younger and less experienced team.

And yet
  • We prove we can stick with them and get close to pinching a win
  • Let the gameplan cook and experiment with players in different roles
  • Don't actually get those now useless four points, which at this point would only serve to worsen our draft hand
Would be happy to lose every game for the rest of the season by 1 point if it meant we can keep developing the kids and load up for a fresh tilt next season

Spongebob Squarepants Rainbow GIF

Makes perfect sense

Now we just need to manage Seb and Membrey into retirement while pushing out more games for the youth

So we fold like a deck of cards when the game was there to be won early - playing like the same headless chooks with shocking skills- kick some late goals when the cue is in the rack for the opposition, and now many of you are lauding Ross for playing “attacking” football and showing the media and his detractors up?!

But last week the majority here said we “didn’t have the cattle” to play attacking football?!

Another confusing day for the followers of Ross Lyon FC.

Today showed a coach out of his depth trying desperately to respond to the (rightful) barrage he copped last week.

Well, he tried to open up more. But the game was over by quarter time and our defence leaked like a sieve. He doesn’t have the skillset to coach in an attacking way. He only knows defence.

Last quarter, in desperation (and in junk time) he throws all the chess pieces in the air and the chaos catches the opposition off guard.

Amazingly, the chaos had his team score the same amount of goals in one quarter as he’d scored the entire previous game.

I think I’ll have to have another sip of the Kool-Aid and watch a genius Ross presser, while lauding the master coach’s turn of phrase.

What has our club and fanbase become?! Millionaire presidents choosing out-of-date coaches on yachts, paying them millions without a process, and we just swallow up whatever we are given.

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back