Preview Round 16, 2024: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles, 30 June 2024 (Sun), 4:40pm @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is still a week or so before the game against the Eagles.

Anyway, I went to Waverley this morning and below are the few things that I have seen.

Wiz goalkicking practise with Sam.
Wiz definitely did more than a dozen(maybe more than a couple of dozen) goal attempts while Sam is watching.

Chol seems happy post training.
IMG_2558.JPG

DGB.

HH and Massa the last 2 players at the oval.

IMG_2564.JPG

With Massa staying a bit more for more groundball pickup sessions.

Another week another team outside the eight.
Much like all our recent opponents their level of output varies wildly from week to week.
Hoefully we catch them on a down day but over there they could be anything, horrible or unbeatable.

Think Lewis should play a full game in the VFL. Make sure he is right to last a game before putting him back in. Add in the long flight, hard ground, what always looks like a poor surface and with the forward line working well currently we should just make sure he is right for Geelong.

Think Lewis should play a full game in the VFL. Make sure he is right to last a game before putting him back in. Add in the long flight, hard ground, what always looks like a poor surface and with the forward line working well currently we should just make sure he is right for Geelong.
I think I need to repost this

This was Mitch Lewis write up from BH coach which say Mitch wanted to play full game but was not allowed to based on Sam's direction. He is fit

Mitch Lewis (One goal, eight disposals, four marks, four score involvements)

“It was a great return from Mitch Lewis. We were rapt to have him back out there. He's a premiership player at Box Hill and he really values the program. Mitch, CJ (Changkuoth Jiath) and Dylan Moore are the three players who really talk up the Box Hill program for helping start their careers and they're all premiership players in the program. Mitch was great and his leadership was exceptional. He really brought into our program and I didn’t expect anything else from him. It was just really nice for him to hit the scoreboard and to hit bodies again, there was no expectation. He was really disappointed he could only play a half because he was feeling really good but to his credit, he stayed on the bench and helped coach our young forwards after half-time. It’s great for our supporters to hear that he got through the game really positively and hopefully now, he can really bounce after the bye and we can see some really consistent footy.”

There is still a week or so before the game against the Eagles.

Anyway, I went to Waverley this morning and below are the few things that I have seen.

Wiz goalkicking practise with Sam.
Wiz definitely did more than a dozen(maybe more than a couple of dozen) goal attempts while Sam is watching.

Was Wiz also practicing his set shots from further out. From these videos it looks like he is much closer to goal than last weekend when he felt the need to run around the mark to make the distance.

Was Wiz also practicing his set shots from further out. From these videos it looks like he is much closer to goal than last weekend when he felt the need to run around the mark to make the distance.

That’s great thanks was he the only one practicing one on one with Sam.

What about Dear was he doing the same with Gunston.

Dewnior From what I have seen that day, his one on one with Sam is only from a similar distance.

mustang The Wiz is the only one doing goalkicking drills with Sam at that time.
I didn't see Gunners do something similar with Calsher that day, but surely I have seen them in the other past weeks with Gunners providing guidance.

Early in the season, I have also seen Chol teaching Calsher some techniques.
I heard him telling Calsher to not worry too much and just try to get a game and try to get his first goal at that time and everything will follow after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis for Gunston? With Dear moving into the third tall role. I'd like to see that (paying homage to one of the GOAT ads).

I would suspect that if Gunston is playing then he'd be going to McGovern, trying to do the same job he did on Andews, Taylor and Balta. McGovern could be too wily for Dear.

Edit: predictive text

Last edited:
If Lewis is fit, he plays. How we arrange the forward line around him will be the issue.

And it's a great problem to have. Can't wait for next Sunday.

Basically full strength if Lewis comes back in. No excuses not to beat this mob comfortably. We are playing great footy with a spread of contributions.

They rely heavily on Reid to be competitive. Limit him and it’s game over. Nash on him at clearances and Dimma when he goes forward.

McGovern needs attention too.

From what I saw today, we should have them in the midfield - even with Reid back. I think our small forwards could trouble them. However, they are not pushovers and have reasonable talent on all lines.

Reid AND Kelly are back, very very good midfield with Yeo in there too.
Big Meekie will need to be at his very best, even more so than when we play the Cats.
Huge test for Calsher and either Gunston or Lewis, depending on who plays, to stop the easy intercept marks.
Today's game vs Bombers was a pretty low pressure contest, if we keep up the heat as per the last few weeks, should be ok. But, I guess, that is an "if".
I agree, the Bombers were very ordinary today, not much heat in the kitchen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back