Autopsy Round 16, 2024 - Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

So umm, I must ask,
Are Bender and GoEaglesGo best mates who love a good old banter or are the ex lovers who just want to fight?

Either way it makes for a bit of needed entertainment on the back of how bad our team is travelling.

Go outside and yell at some clouds. You'll feel much better for it.

Going into our last off-season our biggest problem was injuries. Our S & C department was turned over, we've increased our training intensity and today we have just five players (including Flynn). Touch wood, we've resolved that problem.

This year is a learning and development year. Assess the impact of the injury list, put in place training and game day strategies and assess the impact of those, develop players and assess the quality of the list at all levels. That is happening, whether you choose to accept or not. We'll see what the club thinks of these things in the off-season.

If you think ranting and raving is going to solve problems then I wish you luck. Pyke is a smart operator and I've seen enough already to have faith that he knows what he's doing.

Not everything will be solved in one go. It will be a process of identifying problems, prioritising, eliminating possibilities, adding/subtracting/changing resources, putting in plans, measuring results, going through the cycle again.
All of that and we are still 3rd last and getting obliterated by teams younger then us with more youth and a better future...

More needs to happen clearly...

Dan Const also said he spoke with a current player who said he hates Simpson.

So perhaps there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Also wouldn't surprise me if it was Zane Trew, who hasn't been given a fair go, based off his WAFL form.

Its pretty easy to see how any player not in the credits crew could build up some resentment for the guy

It's clear imo and has been for some time that the place needs a new voice and fresh ideas.

Doubt it will happen before the end of the season but he cannot be coach next year

What a hard game to watch. I don't get what we are trying to do and with such obvious problems I don't understand how professional coaches can let it happen.

We've been too tall for weeks now with no ground pressure. Darling, Waterman, Allen, BWill just aren't going to work together. There getting in each others way, they all want to be the deepest forward and none of them can win a ground ball. Thanks for your service Darling but its time you were cut. Swap out the Williams too.

We've reverted from trying to be a front half pressure team to flooding back, guarding space and trying to win the ball back in the air. Sure Gov and Barrass get a lot of intercept marks but how about not letting teams just stoll up to the 50 and kick it in without pressure. Purely a coaching tactic.

Our midfield looked slow and disinterested. No defensive effort and no burst or run. What are they focusing on? Trying to hedge their bets both ways and get beaten to ball everytime. It looks like our mids don't know when to attack or when to defend.

We have no composure, run or kicking skills from the back half. Where is our transition and overlap running? Gov played well and is an elite kick but where is the run and carry? The amount of turnovers coming out of our back half is diabolical.

We need a reset, after all the momentum Reid gave us early in the season we have reverted to a terrible, frustrating game style.

Time to go Simpson, he's obviously not going to fall on his own sword, Pyke needs to cut him.
Waterman has to play because he’s our inform forward and one of the big positives of another dismal year

Allen has to play because he is the co-captain and the star

Darling is playing because he has heaps of credits and they want him to get to 300 games

BWilliams is playing because Flynn can’t ruck more than 60-70% game time

Answer - drop Darling because he is contributing the least, play him when injuries happen to get to 300

JWilliams to play not Darling if a ruckman is injured

No chance. He would have flown around the Twin Towers for 8 hours trying to decide which tower to fly into and then eventially ran out of fuel and crashed into the Hudson River

so you're saying pyke would have prevented one of the worst acts of terrorism in the western world and then performed a miracle water landing, saving all lives on board?

so you're saying pyke would have prevented one of the worst acts of terrorism in the western world and then performed a miracle water landing, saving all lives on board?
My analogy would be more a if he was the Titanic captain he would have been like "I dunno, lets wait to see if the shop sinks first before we deploy the boats". Then as they are floating in the water hanging on to wood Pyke would be like "Maybe I should have deployed the boats? I dunno. I just think I needed more evidence this ship would sink when it filled with water. Oh well. I definetly still made the right decision."

Step back and it is obvious that our problem is past drafting and talent ID. Sure we have had minimal picks to use but so much deadwood that never amounts to anything has been drafted or recruited. Recruiting must be a priority focus. Never ever trade down or split picks again. Pace, competitive instincts and skill are an absolute priority. Stuff that is inate not coachable. We have missed the boat so often. It will be a long road. But, it sounds like Pyke gets it. Coaches have to support current players but the culling needs to be ruthless.

Aren't the front runners all coaching elsewhere?

What coach not currently at a club would get a look in?

Buckley?
Dew?
Who?

What concerns me is the process generally takes time. We wouldn't be so reckless as to not interview candidates, turn over every stone and i feel that to do this we must be ahead of the curb.

We can't interview people until Simmo is told he will not be coaching next year. Why wait till the end of the year if we know the direction we will be heading?

Whether the club wants Simmo to coach out the rest of the year is inconsequential. Likewise whether he would even want to.

The most pressing issue is are we moving forward without him and if we are it's certainly in our best interests to start looking now before other clubs follow suit.

What concerns me is the process generally takes time. We wouldn't be so reckless as to not interview candidates, turn over every stone and i feel that to do this we must be ahead of the curb.

We can't interview people until Simmo is told he will not be coaching next year. Why wait till the end of the year if we know the direction we will be heading?

Whether the club wants Simmo to coach out the rest of the year is inconsequential. Likewise whether he would even want to.

The most pressing issue is are we moving forward without him and if we are it's certainly in our best interests to start looking now before other clubs follow suit.

I concur, if the club wants Simmo out then acting now is the way to go to give us enough time to have all our new appointments in place by the off-season ending. Simmo might crack the shits and refuse to see out the year but one of the assistants would step up just to take advantage of the chance to be in the role and show their own wares - we're already shit and the fear of being shitter should not be something that we are worried about.

Also wouldn't surprise me if it was Zane Trew, who hasn't been given a fair go, based off his WAFL form.
LOL - if true hopefully we delist ASAP. People like that are cancer around a club.

Has been on our list for 4 years and can count the number of good WAFL games he's played on two hands.

Lecca was kicking 7 and having 30 to get a go under Woosha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any alarming bits of play people noticed or wanna bring up.

In the 4th quarter Bailey Willians thinking he couldnt make it back to the defense basically walking towards defensive 50. Hawks moved the ball slowly and took a contested grab. A contest Williams could have actually gotten too

That play in the last where Allen was on the wing in a marking contest, lost it and ended up a 3 on 1 with Hawthorn with Brockman running forward of the ball and someione else running for a handball receive. Once Allen lost it both just dropped their heads and let him compete 3 on 1.

Play in the 3rd where it was Cripps decided that on the 50m line he was going to blind tap it behind his head too move it forward. Reality is the moron just didnt want to get tackled. Led to a goal from the turnover

Feel like I could bring up 20 more to be honest
Pretty much the entire game was alarming

LOL - if true hopefully we delist ASAP. People like that are cancer around a club.

Has been on our list for 4 years and can count the number of good WAFL games he's played on two hands.

I've no idea if it was Trew, that's my own assumption.

Could be anyone.

Trew is clearly the form WAFL inside mid on our list and has been for quite sometime. Could see why he would be a bit shitty at having played for one quarter of an AFL game this year.

Process of elimination shoud be easy given the amount of gifted games Simmo hands out

Trew is clearly the form WAFL inside mid on our list and has been for quite sometime. Could see why he would be a bit shitty at having played for one quarter of an AFL game this year.
Especially when Gaff's been brought back in for a couple of games, despite offering nothing in the role he was picked for.

Same as Culley getting a game over Trew, in the role Trew actually plays.

I'm happy Culley got a run, but they can't say Trew isn't versatile enough and then take the piss by picking Gaff...

I've no idea if it was Trew, that's my own assumption.

Could be anyone.

There's already a clown using a "process of elimination" and deciding it's Trew, which they'll then use as proof for all future discussions and act like they spoke to Trew directly and he told them as such.

I never said the coach doesn’t matter at all mate. Show me where I said anything close to that. Saying the list matters significantly more than the coach. I don’t know how anyone can disagree with that.

I have plenty of things I’m critical of Simpson about regardless. His team selections this year have been very frustrating. I just don’t think he can be blamed for our midfield getting slaughtered.

Comparing sport to office jobs is hilarious. Terrible analogy.
I didn't suggest that you said it doesn't matter at all. I still think suggesting the coaching played barely any part in our 2018 success is a complete mid-read of the situation. Our 2018 list was easily the worst of our 4 premiership sides, in terms of raw talent. Yet they were well-drilled and well-coached, and had a belief that they could beat anyone, anywhere. Whether that was Simpson, Mitchell, or a combination of the two, anyone that knows footy could see that, clear as day.

The list does matter more, no doubt about it. You need the cattle. But a good list can still be coached poorly and drastically underperform. Look at Port Adeialde uner Hinkley - they've certainly had the cattle, but fall short constantly. A better coach would have done more with what they've had over Hinkley's time there.

I don't know how many people have to use the leadership analogies for you to understand - leadership is leadership. A footy coach/manager is a job, just like a manager in other industries. Have you ever been a people leader? Ever been required to motivate and inspire direct reports? If you cannot see that leadership is leadership, you obviously don't understand or you have your head in the sand. Tell me any industry where a manager or coach isn't required to drive performance from his or her direct reports.

Step back and it is obvious that our problem is past drafting and talent ID. Sure we have had minimal picks to use but so much deadwood that never amounts to anything has been drafted or recruited. Recruiting must be a priority focus. Never ever trade down or split picks again. Pace, competitive instincts and skill are an absolute priority. Stuff that is inate not coachable. We have missed the boat so often. It will be a long road. But, it sounds like Pyke gets it. Coaches have to support current players but the culling needs to be ruthless.
Nah - this side isn’t drastically different to the one that won the flag in 2018.

Sure the depth in the top end isn’t as good, but we’re talking replacing Shuey/Redden/Sheed with Kelly/Reid/Ginbey (not as big a gulf as it seems) and Kennedy/Lecca/Rioli with Allen/Waterman/Brockman (a downgrade but nothing ridiculous).

Then you have

Lycett/Vardy > Flynn/Williams (eh)

Hurn/Schofield > Hough/Rotham (alright that stings a bit)

There are others missing obviously but many of the premiership players are just as good if not better than they were in 2018. Others who have come in have shown they are capable of playing A grade footy.

This group of players shouldn’t be getting flogged at home regardless of whether or not the kids in the side are spuds.

Funny how zone defence where players are 5 to 19 metres off their opponents makes it look like it’s a lack of effort
Week before we played mostly man-on-man and we were exploited, this week more zone defence and we were exploited.

I don't know what else that says besides that our zones and structures are still terrible. Man-on-man doesn't cut it in '24 but we don't have a viable alternative.

That's coaching all the way down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back