Preview Round 17, 2024 : Geelong v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 6th July, GMHBA stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch Lewis has taken more contested marks than marks on lead in 5 of his 8 seasons.

Never let facts get in the way, people forget quickly how good Mitch is.

If anyone is like me and enjoys looking at the previous encounter as a guide to who to watch out for, so often this year I’d see in our previous encounter that Lewis was the dominant forward. Teams are stoked when he’s out.

Perhaps not having Sicily and Ginnivan for this match might work for us. The weight of expectation on our players will be less. And the unpredictability for the opposition will be more.
Can see us notching a narrow win

Take this with a grain of salt.

Sam Mitchell walked past by a few minutes ago.

Me- Is Ginnivan playing?
Sam-Nope
Go Away GIF

Perhaps not having Sicily and Ginnivan for this match might work for us. The weight of expectation on our players will be less. And the unpredictability for the opposition will be more.
Can see us notching a narrow win
I would hope the expectation on the group doesn't rest on two players. I think the group as a whole would be putting expectation on themselves to keep performing at the level they now know they can.

I think this young team are gelling beautifully together and you can now see they just dont want to lose!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been told by a very reliable source that you require a shot of penicillin before we entre enemy grounds. All sorts of diseases and infestations are floating around, so be safe our there hawks fans, look after each other, and if you absolutely have to be sure to double wrap... you that shit can kill you.

Personally feel Ginni is a big out. Sure he pops up for 1 or 2 goals a game, but I’ve been super impressed with his pressure and work further up the ground and creating play.
I’m sure Watson can take up the slack, might even be good for him to get up the ground a bit and leave the goal kicking duties to Breust and co.

No offense to anyone in particular but have half this board actually watched Mitch Lewis play? I understand people being frustrated he is often injured but if you think he is not an elite KPF when healthy then idk what to tell ya
I have watched him play.
He has struggled to take a pack mark (not even a pack crashing mark, just a mark in a contest). His best work is on the lead.

Previous years I don't think the gameplan suited him. The more open and free flowing movement of this year may benefit him

I have watched him play.
He has struggled to take a pack mark (not even a pack crashing mark, just a mark in a contest). His best work is on the lead.

Previous years I don't think the gameplan suited him. The more open and free flowing movement of this year may benefit him
He took a pack mark in his last game against the cats

2:46 min

No offense to anyone in particular but have half this board actually watched Mitch Lewis play? I understand people being frustrated he is often injured but if you think he is not an elite KPF when healthy then idk what to tell ya
I don't think anyone doubts that Lewis is a serious talent. However, I think people are entitled to be cautious regarding the impact of his return for several reasons:
1. He is injury prone.
2. It is not clear how well he and Chol work together
3. His second efforts and defensive work are not Dear standard
4. He is not terribly consistent in his contributions.

I don't think anyone doubts that Lewis is a serious talent. However, I think people are entitled to be cautious regarding the impact of his return for several reasons:
1. He is injury prone.
2. It is not clear how well he and Chol work together
3. His second efforts and defensive work are not Dear standard
4. He is not terribly consistent in his contributions.
1. I'm not doubting he's injury prone, my point is that when he is healthy he is bloody good and a top 10 KPF.

2. At the moment we have a 3 game sample size where the team also sucked and he was potentially already carrying his knee issue. I agree they will need to figure it out but I trust that they will

3. Probably not Dear standard but I don't think the drop off is as significant as people are suggesting

4. His last 2 years he has been 6th and 8th for goals per game in the league. He is a big key forward that consistently kicks goals, that is his role

It also frees up Gunner who the opposition are sending their best defender to ATM. He will end up with someone like Kolo now who's decent but somebody Jack can get dangerous with. Id have him being the deepest forward with Mitch and Mabior pushing up the ground a bit and forcing Henry and SDK to go with them. They will try have Stewart in the hole which is where Dimma can not let that happen and be dangerous himself. Keeping the forward line open is how you can score against Geelong, that and not allowing them to intercept all day.

I have watched him play.

If he's best work is on the lead he will absolutely love the way we're moving the ball ATM. He is significantly better at this aspect than Dear who doesn't have consistent leading patterns as of yet. Dear has to fight and scrap defensively because he doesn't quite have the presence yet aerially that Mitch does. He launches at the ball well and brings it to ground yes but that's the only part of his game that he is doing consistently well. That's just a fact. In time he will be the Man up there but not quite yet. Opposition teams rate Lewis more of a threat than Dear as promising as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back