Autopsy Round 18, 2021: Hawks draw with Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Brockman did some really clever things, never should've been dropped, if we'd traded for him or if he was a top 30 draft pick he would've played almost every game, leave him in the team for God's sake.
May have developed more stuff at BH though. Don’t underestimate Sammy spending time with him and getting him to a higher level. But yeah I’d like to see him and Moore work together in the forwardline from now on. We need a bit of zip and creativity in there

For as good as TOM played, and he played amazing football, I think it's still emblematic of the issue causing people to want him traded. We live or die by his fortunes, and the fact that he's a single point of failure for our midfield makes us easy to plan for.

Even if we get other talented midfielders into the side, Mitchell's single minded hunt for the ball makes him occupy so much of the contest that their output would be restricted. He calls for the ball in bad positions and we defer to him, he gives others the ball in bad decisions. It's still an issue.

May have developed more stuff at BH though. Don’t underestimate Sammy spending time with him and getting him to a higher level. But yeah I’d like to see him and Moore work together in the forwardline from now on. We need a bit of zip and creativity in there

his attributes are everything we don't have in the side enough, quick of mind and body

his attributes are everything we don't have in the side enough, quick of mind and body
Oh I agree but BH may have given him time to work on other attributes he needs. I have always seen him coming into our side eventually.

very keen to see S Mitchell and Saunders develop more too so we can be super zippy

They were pissing me off with some of the justifications for free kicks and non holding the ball decisions last night.
If they had a set of balls they would call it as they see it rather than trot out the narrative.
Hunt drops the ball while being held (on the arms, but still) ...no free kick, no comment from the commentator
Worpel accidentally drops the ball the ball while fending off, no hand on him "Yep, he fended off, that's a free..."

FFS, did my head in

Oh I agree but BH may have given him time to work on other attributes he needs. I have always seen him coming into our side eventually.

very keen to see S Mitchell and Saunders develop more too so we can be super zippy
He also just looked more conditioned to pressure the footy last night, his still so young that any match fitness whether vfl or AFL would dramatically help, I’d say fitness staff and club have managed him well in his first year

A lot to like last night, Bramble reminds me so much of Smith it's not funny.

Worpels was fantastic, Kosi made contest after contest and worked his ass off, Cuz ran all day and provided a lot of chains going forward and Reeves/McEvoy were able to nullify Gawn/Jackson.

Lewis could be an A grade player if he had any intent whatsoever, doesn't want to chase or tackle and doesn't impact contests which he should at his size. Kicked 2 but both were through good work of the player getting it to him.

Having a key defender who marks the ball is crucial to any defence - in this regard, we really miss Sicily. Hartigan and Frost drop marks on a regular basis which creates too many scoring opportunities.
The competitive performance of the midfield was excellent. Bramble is a natural footballer, great pickup by the recruiters.
Lots of positive signs from our younger players.
Also, a very good coaching performance!

For as good as TOM played, and he played amazing football, I think it's still emblematic of the issue causing people to want him traded. We live or die by his fortunes, and the fact that he's a single point of failure for our midfield makes us easy to plan for.

Even if we get other talented midfielders into the side, Mitchell's single minded hunt for the ball makes him occupy so much of the contest that their output would be restricted. He calls for the ball in bad positions and we defer to him, he gives others the ball in bad decisions. It's still an issue.
You could extend that to our whole midfield - Tom, JOM, shiels, worpel, BB, howe, Phillips just don’t perform over the course of season. When they all show up against the right opponent we look competitive. We still lost the clearances and inside 50s - dees had 8 more shots at goal.

Obviously let’s enjoy last nights performance - can’t fault effort - but it doesn’t reduce the need for a full midfield rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standard of commentating is at an all time low. No, Richardson. Gawn ambled through the protected zone and it is a clear 50 metre penalty. It isn't harsh. It is the bloody rule and you should know it, you dumb fool. As for you, Bennett, there is no karma involved in the next goal. Disgraceful commentary.

The standard of commentating is at an all time low. No, Richardson. Gawn ambled through the protected zone and it is a clear 50 metre penalty. It isn't harsh. It is the bloody rule and you should know it, you dumb fool. As for you, Bennett, there is no karma involved in the next goal. Disgraceful commentary.
I would love the ability to rewatch games with just the umpires mic and crowd noise sounds, would make a rewatch enjoyable instead of nails on a chalk board

I would love the ability to rewatch games with just the umpires mic and crowd noise sounds, would make a rewatch enjoyable instead of nails on a chalk board

Wayne Carey wrote an article about the top 10 forwards of the modern era (from 2000 onwards) in the context of Riewoldt's 300th game. Didn't list Jarryd Roughead. Brain dead. The football media in Australia is a closed shop and it will never change so long as the broadcasters continue to employ washed up ex-footballers who can't buy a clue.

Wayne Carey wrote an article about the top 10 forwards of the modern era (from 2000 onwards) in the context of Riewoldt's 300th game. Didn't list Jarryd Roughead. Brain dead. The football media in Australia is a closed shop and it will never change so long as the broadcasters continue to employ washed up ex-footballers who can't buy a clue.
Hahaha thought the list was more of a who do I remember more, no research done at all

Thinking back over the game it may be that the excellent result was ironically and precisely the product of having so many inexperienced players in the team. When Hawthorn was at its best the team ran like a well oiled machine. The players were good and they knew each other and the systems they played. Last night the lack of system was frequently obvious. But what happened was that the Hawks turned the match into a contest 1 on 1 with a determination to force the ball forward at any cost. This single idea created chaos and the match into a scrap. Melbourne had real difficulty adjusting its spread and run on style of play. Melbourne players were frequently caught out and often looked bemused by what was happening. Meanwhile the Hawks kept boring in. This is not to say that the more experienced players did not contribute. Indeed they played key roles in setting up our best plays and getting the score on the board for the draw. But it was the absolute commitment from our inexperienced players that made the draw possible. Expecting a 20 goal loss I thoroughly enjoyed watching the emergence of belief. This will stand us in good stead in the future.

Hunt drops the ball while being held (on the arms, but still) ...no free kick, no comment from the commentator
Worpel accidentally drops the ball the ball while fending off, no hand on him "Yep, he fended off, that's a free..."

FFS, did my head in
Worpel copped a backside directly to the head from Viney ( accidental ) and no free. He was pretty unhappy about it too.

Positives are with such a young team you couldn't ask for better effort, we competed all night vs one of the best teams in the comp and deservedly got something out of the game. Our midfield led by Mitchell who I thought was BOG had a really good night by our standards.

Negatives are it's unlikely we get Horne.

Much, much, much preferred our game style / game plan last night.

We seemed to want to move the ball on at all costs and I honestly can't recall hardly any instances were we slowed the play after taking a mark and then bombed it long down the line (which has been our modus operandi for most of the year). We also attacked through the middle a heel of a lot more than I have seen all year.

Yes we stuffed up our delivery on a number of occasions, got hurt on the rebound and we were far from slick but by constantly attacking and not slowing the play / kicking backwards you could see it rattled Melbourne and we ended up drawing with the top team (an amazing feat really)

This goes to my hypothesis that much of our underperformance in 2021 has not purely been due to our playing stocks but a large part due to our frankly dire game plan.

We had our weakest team on paper this week (possibly the weakest in 20 years) yet by taking the game on and not worrying about playing a highly structured, precision game plan we almost beat the top team.

It does my head in though that as per usual we wait until round 17 to release the shackles!

This goes to my hypothesis that much of our underperformance in 2021 has not purely been due to our playing stocks but a large part due to our frankly dire game plan.

It does my head in though that as per usual we wait until round 17 to release the shackles!

There is absolutely no evidence at all that we have been told to play a dire game plan, until Clarko finally says "Aaah, what the hell..release the shackles!"

And then we suddenly draw with the top team! Wow...if only he had said this to them round one!

You see only what confirms your repeatedly stated, firmly entrenched, yet highly illogical, hypothesis

The team looked better last night.. still lots of holes but the endeavour and coaching were fantastic.
still need to add a lot of class but as much as anything these lads just need game exposure..
Howe looked good especially early. Might be a good player at the right set up like Swans.
OBrien is frustrating because he looks like a player but just doesn’t quite put it together. Not just his marks but also streaming out of defence multiple times just doesn’t nail the kicks..
Reeves will be great with more game time. Looks like he’s really soaking up the learnings.. he’s a good kid. Would love a mobile tall to compliment him, like a Luke Jackson..
I’m a bit of a fan of Lewis.. he hits the packs harder than he’s given credit for. He does go missing but I wouldn’t be letting him go for as easily as others.
Like Brambles run and carry. Good pick up for nothing..
Cousins played ok but don’t see it in him. Would love to have seen Nash last night. He has a role in the midfield.
I absolutely hate the 2 points for a draw. Why don’t the AFL fix things they are clearly flawed and can be fixed in an instant. The AFL spends a million hours on coming up with the stand rule or 6-6-6 but something that no one likes can be corrected with one discussion. Why should 44 players and supporters go home flat. Have a shoot out, have extra time just don’t send people home flat as a tack after an entertaining game..
Never ever change the draw. If after a full game the score is equal it is only fair the teams share the points, to let it come down to some bullshit penalty shoot out robs the game.
Wait I have an idea lets not play the game at all, lets save time and have all 44 have a shot at goal from the "spot". If it is still even, coaches, then the runners ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2021: Hawks draw with Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back