Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time Tom Cole goes near it, I just assume he'll give away a free, or his opponent will end up with the ball

He is unlikely to give away the free as he is usually 2-3 metres behind whoever he is playing with. Lohmam gave him a total bath today..

And Cripps has totally lost any semblance of team work or hitting the obvious target. Refuses to handball and he burned Allen badly at least twice in the last quarter when he was metres clear on leads to bomb away to nothing.

Was good to watch a game at Optus in person and one thing is noticeable is how slow we are to react to every ball ball movement. We are a step behind every time which ends up with us under more pressure than we should be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was good to watch a game at Optus in person and one thing is noticeable is how slow we are to react to every ball ball movement. We are a step behind every time which ends up with us under more pressure than we should be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The over the head handball to a man running past was killing me. We were surprised every single time.

Hedwards...lad got thicc. And somehow a bit faster and more agile. Good trick Harry! Hopefully he can build on it. Looked an AFL player today.

Unsure if our definitions of thicc are different or what, but he looks a heap leaner than last year - appears to have dropped his puppy fat and looks to have a proper AFL body shape now and appears to be moving a lot better than his previous loping from years before. Maybe lost his lankiness a bit and has grown into his body?

Plenty of fight in that. Not nearly enough polish, which is to be expected, but pleasing to see them stay in it and not fold.

Positives
  • Hough. Wowee.
  • Harry Edwards has played three games this year, and all three have really impressed me. Plenty to like, it will open up so much for us if he comes along.
  • TK and Allen. heck there’s some miserable pricks on here. Well enough to say “they’re playing badly”, because they were both so quiet, but the vitriol and tantrums for two of our clear top 10 (top 5 at everyone’s best?) players is wild. Both massive in the fourth term, absolutely immense. Build from it boys.
  • Trew, attacked it hard and showed the intent that’s made him a top WAFL option. I simply don’t think he has the skills to make it, but he should have played a lot of footy earlier or not got the extra rookie contract to begin with. Did about as much as he could have today.
  • Barrass. Destroyed Daniher and was funny watching him get so sooky about it too.
  • Hunt and Cole had big moments. Hunt looks so much freer at HBF, our wing usage is no good anyway so why waste him there.

Negatives
  • Skills demonstrate how far off the pace we are from the better teams now, but one or two good ball users and some better decisions and things can turn quickly. Out classed today and there’ll be plenty of that until we can add more talent.
  • 1-13 centre clearances at one stage, heck me. Flynn for Bailey with JWill to chop out, please.
  • Just going to call it Australian Footy from now on, because I simply don’t understand the rules. Harris Andrews free on Allen was never a free, so it wasn’t entirely one way traffic, but some of those throws and 50s, compared to identical things at the other end. I just think four umpires and rules on the run make it such a crapshoot week to week. More difficult to grasp what the decision was than ever.
  • Duggan, Brockman injured. Brockman seemed minor so hopefully he gets back in soon.
  • Ginbey, Maric, LEd quiet, Hutch worked into it but ultimately pretty quiet too.

Some nice signs, plenty to work on, lots of list decisions to make. Enjoyed the scrap.

Plenty of fight in that. Not nearly enough polish, which is to be expected, but pleasing to see them stay in it and not fold.

Positives
  • Hough. Wowee.
  • Harry Edwards has played three games this year, and all three have really impressed me. Plenty to like, it will open up so much for us if he comes along.
  • TK and Allen. heck there’s some miserable pricks on here. Well enough to say “they’re playing badly”, because they were both so quiet, but the vitriol and tantrums for two of our clear top 10 (top 5 at everyone’s best?) players is wild. Both massive in the fourth term, absolutely immense. Build from it boys.
  • Trew, attacked it hard and showed the intent that’s made him a top WAFL option. I simply don’t think he has the skills to make it, but he should have played a lot of footy earlier or not got the extra rookie contract to begin with. Did about as much as he could have today.
  • Barrass. Destroyed Daniher and was funny watching him get so sooky about it too.
  • Hunt and Cole had big moments. Hunt looks so much freer at HBF, our wing usage is no good anyway so why waste him there.

Negatives
  • Skills demonstrate how far off the pace we are from the better teams now, but one or two good ball users and some better decisions and things can turn quickly. Out classed today and there’ll be plenty of that until we can add more talent.
  • 1-13 centre clearances at one stage, heck me. Flynn for Bailey with JWill to chop out, please.
  • Just going to call it Australian Footy from now on, because I simply don’t understand the rules. Harris Andrews free on Allen was never a free, so it wasn’t entirely one way traffic, but some of those throws and 50s, compared to identical things at the other end. I just think four umpires and rules on the run make it such a crapshoot week to week. More difficult to grasp what the decision was than ever.
  • Duggan, Brockman injured. Brockman seemed minor so hopefully he gets back in soon.
  • Ginbey, Maric, LEd quiet, Hutch worked into it but ultimately pretty quiet too.

Some nice signs, plenty to work on, lots of list decisions to make. Enjoyed the scrap.
I thought Maric was solid with 15d, 5 marks.

The frustrating thing with T.Kelly is that he has been terribly inconsistent this season. When he plays with intent, which hasnt been very often this season, we're at least competitive. His last quarter today was brilliant though - more of that version of please.

Unsure if our definitions of thicc are different or what, but he looks a heap leaner than last year - appears to have dropped his puppy fat and looks to have a proper AFL body shape now and appears to be moving a lot better than his previous loping from years before.
I was trying to be edgy.

Added a stack of lean muscle. Moved well.

Zane Trew had a good game, rating as our 5th best player. It is standing out even further with age factored in, he has the highest score of .595. When we also consider his time on ground (74%), he comes in as our second best player. Should hopefully earn himself another handful of games to finish the year.

Not sure how Brockman only got 21% game time, even though Duggan also only had 21%.
EDIT forgot about Tyler's ankle injury, my bad.

1720954955647.png

Last edited:
And Cripps has totally lost any semblance of team work or hitting the obvious target. Refuses to handball and he burned Allen badly at least twice in the last quarter when he was metres clear on leads to bomb away to nothing.
I’ve thought for a long time Cripps is almost, almost, capital H ‘hungry’. He rarely gives off to better placed players inside 50. That said, he shuts me up a lot because he mostly slots them. Even so, it just isn’t team footy.

But I can’t fault his defensive pressure. His run and chase is great.

However, he’s getting caught more. Father Time is heading his way.

Zane Trew had a good game, rating as our 5th best player. It is standing out even further with age factored in, he has the highest score of .595. When we also consider his time on ground (74%), he comes in as our second best player. Should hopefully earn himself another handful of games to finish the year.

Not sure how Brockman only got 21% game time, even though Duggan also only had 21%.

View attachment 2048572
Oooh, rating over age…not a bad way to frame the data. I like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He dropped darling making us a shorter running team .

Also ropped chesser who was horribly out of form .

Bought in trew who is a genuine inside mid

Bought in Ledwards who is a genuine wing .
Luke Edwards is a mid who is best suited to the stoppage but is playing wing to get games. He's not a genuine wing, we don't really have any "genuine wings" outside of Gaff who won't be getting games.

These are the sorts of losses you can cop when re-building.

Might be coincidental and I note there was some additional factors (Simmo) at play, but that was:
  • Our youngest team we've selected since RD4 and what do we get? a bit more energy and enthusiasm with the lads cracking in for a full four quarters.
  • The least experienced team we've selected all year & the largest experience discrepancy for the year.
  • It was also our best player rating discrepancy since the Melbourne win (RD 10).
Hopefully Scofield can continue playing the kids and we get to see some real green shoots. Whilst it is handy to have Yeo, TK etc. as our best players, that's not really the priority right now, we need the green shoots coming along too.

1720956179864.png

Last edited:
Hough not rating in the top half of our players from that match really stands out as an outlier in whatever data is input for that.

Also, according to player ratings (not the be all and end all), Cole was our 8th best on the ground and he also outranked Lohmann, who supposedly gave him a bath.

Cole was mostly good. Impossible for everyone to have a perfect game. Did more good than bad.

Did Lohmann actually play that well or is it just standard soggy-pants McGee having a whinge about our players?

Edit: 15 touches for 2.2. Bath definition getting a bit loose.

Also, according to player ratings (not the be all and end all), Cole was our 8th best on the ground and he also outranked Lohmann, who supposedly gave him a bath.

Cole was mostly good. Impossible for everyone to have a perfect game. Did more good than bad.
Yeh he wasnt that bad. Had some decent moments in the first half.

Really was just a few awful moments late that were very obvious

God cole always finds a way to **** it up more often than not.

I love his effort but hes bloody awful

I still think ginbey will be quality, but i dont like him in the backline. Perhaps a stint in the 2nds where he can be the main man in the middle for a few weeks will do him some good.
Ginbey and Chesser to dominate the midfield in the WAFL for a couple of weeks while Culley and Trew get a go in the main side?

Something I have been doing the last few weeks, trying to give a little bit of weight to experience levels with outputs. Not a perfect formula, but adds something different.

Also had Ghossein request TOG to be added last week with Jack Williams not getting much game time. With that factored in Brocky was our best player this week.

This data set had been flagging red on Jack Darling for a bit, that has now shifted to Jamie Cripps. Hopefully he can clear himself from that bottom five region. We would also want more from Jones @ 26, especially out of contract.

Assuming Hutchinson had a new/adjusted role as I saw him more on the wings etc. today, despite getting on the board to snag his first goal. He spent 62% of his game time in the front half & 38% in the defensive half, from 77% offensive & 23% defensive last week, so we will give him an out for his performance, that and it was his 4th game.

Also note, Hough doesn't usually rate well, as he is given a predominantly defensive minded/lockdown role. Whilst tackles, spoils and other defensive efforts are tracked, he doesn't get scored as well as he plays to the eye.

I know player ratings aren't for everyone, but until Champion Data give us something better, we will continue.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back