Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Lohmann actually play that well or is it just standard soggy-pants McGee having a whinge about our players?
Lohmann wasn't bad, but it was just one of those things.

Brisbane played a very good game, their mids were great to watch. There's always going to be someone on the end of the chain. He took some good marks late on.

Cole was trailing him in one particular marking contest that everyone is going to remember vividly.

Cole had some great attacks on the ball, some rebounding plays that ended in goals and some good tackles.

It's just funny what people rage over. Reid had some shockers today but nobody blames him for the loss. Yeo lead the team again for turnovers, which isn't uncommon, but nobody will blame him for the loss either (nor should they).

Cole is just one of those players who some people really fixate on.

God cole always finds a way to **** it up more often than not.

I love his effort but hes bloody awful
I thought most of our defenders were really good today, this is one of the better teams going around and our midfield mostly got a bath.

They held up well, some of Witherden's kicks were pretty bad but he also did some great stuff.

I think the mids need to find some consistency and the team's performances will follow. Don't mind our defence at all.

Why on earth would Ginbey play WAFL to get Culley in the team hahaha
After seeing what Phillipou after 6 weeks in the VFL im on board with this idea.

If Ginbey can get 20+ touches for 2 weeks as a pure onballer while Culley shows what hes got I dont think itd be a bad thing.

After those 2 weeks we know where Culley and Trew actually sit and can go from there

Lohmann wasn't bad, but it was just one of those things.

Brisbane played a very good game, their mids were great to watch. There's always going to be someone on the end of the chain. He took some good marks late on.

Cole was trailing him in one particular marking contest that everyone is going to remember vividly.

Cole had some great attacks on the ball, some rebounding plays that ended in goals and some good tackles.

It's just funny what people rage over. Reid had some shockers today but nobody blames him for the loss. Yeo lead the team again for turnovers, which isn't uncommon, but nobody will blame him for the loss either (nor should they).

Cole is just one of those players who some people really fixate on.
Cole was actually good today but for his age he really should be better. He is an easy target because he is one of our worst that’s older than 25.

After seeing what Phillipou after 6 weeks in the VFL im on board with this idea.

If Ginbey can get 20+ touches for 2 weeks as a pure onballer while Culley shows what hes got I dont think itd be a bad thing.

After those 2 weeks we know where Culley and Trew actually sit and can go from there
Why don’t we just try playing ginbey as an on baller before dropping him? He hasn’t had consistent time at CBAs for awhile.

Play the guy with the most talent who is still performing at AFL level.

Something I have been doing the last few weeks, trying to give a little bit of weight to experience levels with outputs. Not a perfect formula, but adds something different.

Also had Ghossein request TOG to be added last week with Jack Williams not getting much game time. With that factored in Brocky was our best player this week.

This data set had been flagging red on Jack Darling for a bit, that has now shifted to Jamie Cripps. Hopefully he can clear himself from that bottom five region. We would also want more from Jones @ 26, especially out of contract.

Assuming Hutchinson had a new/adjusted role as I saw him more on the wings etc. today, despite getting on the board to snag his first goal. He spent 62% of his game time in the front half & 38% in the defensive half, from 77% offensive & 23% defensive last week, so we will give him an out for his performance, that and it was his 4th game.

Also note, Hough doesn't usually rate well, as he is given a predominantly defensive minded/lockdown role. Whilst tackles, spoils and other defensive efforts are tracked, he doesn't get scored as well as he plays to the eye.

I know know player ratings aren't for everyone, but until Champion Data give us something better, we will continue.
Probably need to adjust for position played.

In past weeks our defenders (Duggan, Gov, Cole, Witherden) all rate strongly.

Kind of a given since the ball is down there a lot, its also a lot easier to execute disposal effectively in the def half and inflate your rating. As opposed to having disposals in the fwd half under more pressure.

Would also explain why Cripps has rated poorly - even though on the eye he is still going OK.

He also licks his lips alot, reminds me of Heath Ledgers portrayal of the Joker.

Hopefully he can try the pencil trick on Splinterdick one of these days.
Yeah he’s like a movie villain. He was a hard campaigner when he played, could’ve done with him out there today. Am a fan

Great effort some of the younger guys showed glimpes of potential. My fumbles Ginbey seems to be struggling with the pace of the game, but apart from that he stays in the team. Culley should be the next one to get a run.

Why don’t we just try playing ginbey as an on baller before dropping him? He hasn’t had consistent time at CBAs for awhile.

Play the guy with the most talent who is still performing at AFL level.
Im thinking about exploring Trew and Culley more too. If they both turn out to be ok at the level then it might be worth keeping them both on the list, and we might not need to trade in more midfield depth for next year.

Cant fit them all in.

At this rate Culley wont get a gig at AFL level this year outside an injury.

Its just an idea

POSITIVES

Effort! We ran, we tackled, we didn’t give up. That is the standard, no exception.

We tried to take the game on, I’m ok with losing if we are trying to attack the game.

Hutchisons first goal. 👏

Brockman first goal 👏

Ryan’s 100th. Fitting he got the last goal.

Zane Trew. Says a lot about giving a player a go based on form and allowing them to play on their position. Has earned another game next year. Let’s see what he can do over the next few weeks. Got better as the game went on.

Harry Edwards. Very solid game down back.

Hough. Ditto.

T.L worked into the game well.

Schofield. I thought he was commendable for n his first go at coaching in the bigs.

NEGATIVES

Duggos concussion. At least it gives a kid a chance next week. 🤞

Cole. Very average gane today.

Simmo. Yea it was fine he departed but if you didn’t have a lump in your throat the beginning of the game then I don’t know what to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im thinking about exploring Trew and Culley more too. If they both turn out to be ok at the level then it might be worth keeping them both on the list, and we might not need to trade in more midfield depth for next year.

Cant fit them all in.

At this rate Culley wont get a gig at AFL level this year outside an injury.

Its just an idea
Culley is first year back from a knee. I don’t think there is any harm in letting him finish the year in the wafl. He should be getting another year regardless.

Ginbey would be in our top ten players this year would be pretty demoralising to drop him.

Not sure if mentioned but Reid clocking 14.5km and second most distance covered for the Eagles is a good sign/surpising

He's no longer fading out of games as much

Wouldn't mind seeing his TOG go down a touch still
Felt like our i50s are so chaotic like always but I can't wait for Harley to get super dangerous when he's not getting much of it in the guts and kick a few snags

As we improve I reckon he's the one that can be our DeGoey, Stringer type (as in goal kicking mids not idiot blokes)

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

👏:rainbow:

+ Well done Zane Trew. Couldn't have done much more than he did. Gonna be an awkward decision to make on him if he maintains his position and a reasonable level of form for the remainder of the year. Been on the rookie list forever and was delist fodder until 5 mins ago.

+ Waterman tried hard all day, as is his usual MO. Spewing he couldn't have added another snag and really gotten some more reward for effort.

+ Good to see Allen impact the game in the last quarter. When your coach is sacked, your co-captain is dead/subbed off, it's up to you to put a stamp on the contest. I wouldn't give his overall game a tick but you can't deny he put a stamp on it in the end.

+Youngsters were good for the most part. Ledwards did about as good as he possibly could in that role. 16 touches and a snag, whilst giving one off to Kelly. Jack Williams came in and played his role as well.

+ Good to see Maric in defense and us getting the ball into his hands a bit more. Went at 93.3DE%. Equal 2nd for WCE for score involvements as well. Not bad off the backline.

:thumbsdownemoji::toilet:

- Not sure how i feel about Ginbey's game tbh. Initially i didn't mind the backline move as i thought it got him involved a bit more. Must of had a very quiet 4th quarter, because his numbers were pretty reasonable at 3QT from memory. He also showed a bit more intent to move the ball on a bit quicker, but then also gave his opponent a bit too much leg rope.

- Kelly pissing everyone off for 3 quarters. I'm not sure what it is about the bloke that drives everyone nuts. Epitomises lack of intent with his 'smooth mover' lethargic looking one gear i guess? 29D and a goal definitely looks good on paper though, it begs belief why he can't do it each week. 5 of his 14 games this year he has failed to reach 20 disposals, as a pure midfielder. Also can the bloke stop burning Harley please??? The amount of times he looks at Reid and just ignores him is alarming. Thought he would've learnt that lesson from the Adelaide game when he inexcusably did exactly that.

- Brockman finally kicking goal, you're thinking "Oh cool he could finally be up and about here..." only for him to die 5 mins later. Gee what an rough first year he's had back in WA.

- Once again i question Jones's spot in this side. A real #whatsthepoint situation. 6 touches, 1 tackle, zero score. Might as well bring in Dewar or Baker, or any young player from the WAFL if that's the output we're allowing. Last week was 9 touches and zero score :shrug:

- Harley needs a real swinging dick game to get his swagger back. Hopefully he gets that next week at Marvel. Superpowers have definitely dissapated since he's came back from his month off, he's looking quite human out there and making some real elementary errors. That 50 he gave away was plain stupid, not even Levi Casbolt would do that. Not all bad, he worked into the game and didn't stop trying, i'd just like to see him get some easy ball. Had the most clearances for WCE and 2nd most contested posessions, behind Yeo, but also zero marks. Only player on the field to have zero marks, other than Brockman who got subbed on, then injured.

Reid's first half was a genuine stinker but credit to him. He fought it out and looked his best self in the second half. Ended up having a better game than Ashcroft.

In the end, he's a 19 year old kid with both unreal media and fan expectations. He's averaging a respectable 18 disposals in one of the worst midfields while also getting tagged.

I can only see him getting better next year if we can get him a decent ruckman and midfield support.

Not sure if mentioned but Reid clocking 14.5km and second most distance covered for the Eagles is a good sign/surpising

He's no longer fading out of games as much

Wouldn't mind seeing his TOG go down a touch still
his endurance is much better than anticipated in his first year. I was expecting a 60% TOG mid/fwd split :sweatsmile:

+ I enjoyed the game.
Nearly all the players had some good moments.
Trew went ok
Bailey improved after getting mugged early
Maric looks more suited to the wing than Chesser
Harry had one of his better games.
On the whole the backline performed ok.

- made the mistake of looking at the game day thread at half time. The usual suspects were spewing their bile and we even had a guest appearance from an anti vaxxer playing some of the old hits.
Footywise - We were a few brain fades away from getting up.
Cripps can be annoying at times
Harley shouldn't try to be spectacular every time he gets the ball, sometimes less is more.
Love Yeo but up and under hoofs aren't the most effective way to enter the forward line.
Jones probably the only player who was rarely sighted. Give one of the young kids his spot next week.

his endurance is much better than anticipated in his first year. I was expecting a 60% TOG mid/fwd split :sweatsmile:

We'll leave that to current day Cam Rayner.

Geez I’d kill for half a dozen Ryan’s.Damn good 100th.
Hedwards was good.A big raspberry to all his naysayers.
JWilliams was very promising.
BW tried hard and took some good grabs.Just too small in the ruck contests.
Trew not the worst.
Edwards on the wing must have run under three one on one marking contests.Bad reads ? Or soft? Mmmm!
We lack a killer small forward.
A Rioli,Hill etc. Somebody; who when you kick his way; always gives you a chance.Ryan can do it but he’s lost a yard and we need his finishing around the ground more.

Pleasantly surprised with the intent and effort shown today. Plenty to be happy about especially after recent weeks

Played well enough to beat a lot of sides but Brisbane are a very good team in form particularly through the midfield and we just couldn’t contain Neale, McLuggage and Dunkley

Were beaten up around stoppage and their clearance dominance translated to better field position reflected in an I50 imbalance in the first half. Fortunately our defence held up well to keep us in it before we were able to even up around the ball

Brisbane were able to keep us at arms length meaning we never got quite close enough to look like really challenging. Conversely each time they looked like splitting us open we were able to find a goal or two to stay tantalisingly close to touching distance

Overall it was a good game to watch with some genuinely exciting passages of play and some desperate acts of defence

Thoughts on some players
• Ryan was very good. Looked engaged and had a crack. Something he doesn’t always do
• Waterman worked very hard up the ground but still needs to work on his chemistry with Allen
• Hunt looks better off half back than on the wing. Gives us better rebound out of the back half when he plays HB
• Yeo is a battering ram. Needs to get rid of those low hard kicks he does that often miss the target.
• Reid does some brilliant things but occasionally tries to do too much. In time he’ll probably recognise when to take the game on and when to take the easy option
• It’s a shame Luke Edwards isn’t just half a yard quicker. Aside from a lack of pace he’s got the tools to be a solid AFL player
• Hough was magnificent
• Trew worked into the game nicely and his second half was very good. Deserves to retain his spot and if he can build on todays game in coming weeks he might not be the easy delist he was 24 hours ago
• Jack Williams should be inked in as the forward/ruck playing support for whoever of Bailey Williams or Flynn is leading the ruck
• Barrass worked really hard and did pretty well to keep Daniher reasonably quiet
• Maric on the wing I liked
• Harry Edwards was very good. He’s a viable second KPD when required
• Hutchinson had a nearly game and you can see why Simpson liked him. Look forward to him next year after a full preseason

Hopefully today wasn’t a one off that fed off the emotion of the week and we can sustain this effort over the last 6 rounds. Might pinch a couple more wins if we do

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back