Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

That was an enjoyable game, great to see a 4 quarter effort. Ryan, Hough and big Harry Edwards the highlights for mine.

I know it’s not a revelation, but it’s sad (and rare for Eagles fans) knowing that a good effort does not guarantee a win, even at home. The talent and development is just not enough at the moment.

I thought Trew and L Edwards had some good moments in the midfield, but overall this is still a very weak line compared to other AFL teams. I wonder why we don’t employ a tagger, maybe Trew or Ginbey? I reckon we’d pinch another win sometime this year if we identified a good target each week and took them out.

Bris away have problems playing away so I thought we would be competitive. They also have a few out. Good contest as expected.

Their individual skill level (including pace) under pressure (by more than a a very few) was the real difference. It's obvious but we need to build a list that has the same level of skill. My view is that it is 80% drafting as ability is hard wired.

At the game, these were the main changes I could spot to our structure, let me know if anyone spotted any others:

• HEdwards lock down on the 2nd key forward (Hipwood)
  • Trew full game on ball
  • Hunt predominantly played back
  • Gibney predominantly played back
  • Duggan predominantly played mid (until he came off)
  • Williams brothers rotating between forward and ruck (Darling dropped)
  • Maric alternating between wing and HFF
  • Hutchinson played predominantly as a forward but made appearances on the wing
  • Ryan continued rotating through the middle

Think HEdwards should be locked in for the remainder of the year. Gov can come back as the 3rd tall/the Rotham role. Drop JJ for him.

Trew was fine, would love to see Culley get a run through the middle, maybe he can come in for Duggan.

Overall effort was there and our team structure looked a lot better. With these last few rounds we should be trying to get a good look at some of our uncontracted young players.

I thought the send off for Simpson was also done really well

A chance for us fans to acknowledge him and what he achieved as coach and for him to thank the fans for their support of him

Was relatively short and sharp and there was genuine warmth for him

Tossing the coin was neither here nor there but it gave a useful excuse for him to be out there and also the opportunity to embrace the players without being involved in the pregame build up

It was a far better alternative than him coaching the team as a farewell

The club has made its share of mistakes in recent times but I feel they handled the departure of Simpson pretty well
Yeah agree with this.

The 'let him coach a farewell game' thing was never going to work out, but it was well intentioned and the way things were done yesterday was spot on- it allowed the fans to express the way most of them feel, which is however shitty things have gotten, Simpson will always be a key figure in one of the greatest moments in club history. I think it was probably good for the board, the fans, the players and even Schofield to see the club say a respectful, public goodbye to him as that era closes.

You can tell a lot about the professionalism of an organisation by how they manage transition and treat people who are on the way out, so I'm glad the club made an effort to do the right thing.

And congrats to Simpson for being classy enough put any ill feelings to one side and participate yesterday - however inevitable the change was it can't have been an easy week for him- my guess is Optus was absolutely the last place he would have wanted to be this weekend, but when he has time to reflect I hope he'll feel good that he left on a positive note.

Thought Bailey played a pretty honest game. Optics from the ground - we were smashed in clearances when reid, yeo and tk paid zero respect to dunkley/neale etc. As soon as we locked on our midfield looked very good. I've been getting very poor body language from tk lately not sure what his problem is during games he's champagne one minute than shit the next

-not sure if this is a negative but will Harley be one of if not the most disliked players in the comp? Seems to complain to the umps a lot. If tackling puts a bit extra on it resulting in a wrestle. Also results in him copping extra whenever he gets tackled, also resulting in a time wasting wrestle. No doubt he'll mature but I really wouldn't want an antagonistic little ballantyne on our team
Was at the game with my brother (non eagles supporter) and he said after one Reid incident 'the gloss has really come off Harley now, hasn't it?'

He had a brief honeymoon period when the comp didn't know what to expect, but was then tagged and targeted and has had to learn to deal with that. Also still learning when to go and when not, when to do the team thing. When he gets through all that stuff, he'll be a better player for it, a more complete package.

But he does have a couple of bad traits, complaining to the umps and extra mustard on tackles or late tackles, dropping a guy after he's disposed of the ball behind play etc.
He's young, still learning, his tanks improving > another preseason, a new coach, just needs to gain some maturity.

Ross Lyon was the first to nullify him effectively, so be interesting to see how he deals with that 2nd time around?

Thought Bailey played a pretty honest game. Optics from the ground - we were smashed in clearances when reid, yeo and tk paid zero respect to dunkley/neale etc. As soon as we locked on our midfield looked very good. I've been getting very poor body language from tk lately not sure what his problem is during games he's champagne one minute than shit the next
Yep, was really noticeable at the game, lagging way behind his oppo, looking disinterested or not in it, looked sore? But then fired up in the last quarter..

I've always thought Ginbey looks like a winger. Tall, a pretty good overhead mark, good straight line speed. Kicking can be a little flaky, but if he can use his left foot more, it would help the forwards knowing where it is going. Hunt has to stay HBF.

Trew is now our defensive mid. Although we got smashed in there, it was great to see some tackles sticking in the middle. His presence allowed Kelly to play the game he did.

Reid got better the less he did with the ball. When he shapes to baulk and then gives off a handball, we are away. When he runs around in circles looking for tackles to break, no one knows where the ball is going. Still needs to reduce the off the ball niggle and umpire chat, but loving the basic stuff.

Yeo is still in dump it forward mode. You don't have to kick everything as far as you can.

Harry Edwards and Jack Williams both looked like the path they are on is positive. Lots of upside for both of them.

Bailey Williams took some excellent park marks. Can't ruck when standing still. Has to work out how to run and jump.

Surprised with Luke Edwards. Found a bit of the ball and had a positive impact. Often found space just by standing still.

Hough, Ryan and Hunt all played excellent games.

OA's last quarter might get him back on track. Was getting worried about his form and especially his inaccuracy but kudos to Schofield for throwing him behind the ball to get some touch.

So much better to watch than the last few weeks, even despite the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, was really noticeable at the game, lagging way behind his oppo, looking disinterested or not in it, looked sore? But then fired up in the last quarter..
He said on the podcast the other he basically hasn't trained since about round 5, takes all week for his knee to recover and then he got a hip injury. Just getting back to fitness now.

Was at the game with my brother (non eagles supporter) and he said after one Reid incident 'the gloss has really come off Harley now, hasn't it?'

He had a brief honeymoon period when the comp didn't know what to expect, but was then tagged and targeted and has had to learn to deal with that. Also still learning when to go and when not, when to do the team thing. When he gets through all that stuff, he'll be a better player for it, a more complete package.

But he does have a couple of bad traits, complaining to the umps and extra mustard on tackles or late tackles, dropping a guy after he's disposed of the ball behind play etc.
He's young, still learning, his tanks improving > another preseason, a new coach, just needs to gain some maturity.

Ross Lyon was the first to nullify him effectively, so be interesting to see how he deals with that 2nd time around?
Hopefully as he matures he leaves a lot of that negative stuff behind.
We need Harley focussing on the ball not the man or umps

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly likes to be the receiver on the outside and it's good when we can make that work like we did in the last quarter.

Hopefully we can get the bulls inside working to good effect from here on out for this to work more.

He looked good when this happened.

Last edited:
Trew may be one of those sliding doors moments where if Simmo hadn't been flicked, who knows..........

He certainly repaid those who had been calling for his promotion in the last month.

His games has been a bit undersold on here by some folks who are already set in their opinion of him imo

21 disposals (9 contested), 4 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements and a disposal efficiency of 76%

If that was, say a Chesser, the whole board would be frothing over it

I don't mind the Harley aggression, he was getting scragged and tagged a lot. After the last few seasons anyone that plays with passion and arrogance is needed. He'll get better and learn where the line is but I personally like seeing it. I think a team that is not used to standing up for themselves, needs someone like him who says they're not going to be pushed around.
A lot of good players have learnt to play on the edge. Leight Mathews, Toby Greene, Luke Hodge all became leaders and captains

I don't mind the Harley aggression, he was getting scragged and tagged a lot. After the last few seasons anyone that plays with passion and arrogance is needed. He'll get better and learn where the line is but I personally like seeing it. I think a team that is not used to standing up for themselves, needs someone like him who says they're not going to be pushed around.
A lot of good players have learnt to play on the edge. Leight Mathews, Toby Greene, Luke Hodge all became leaders and captains

Yeah I love it

We need some mongrel, might aswell be our best player

I believe Ginbey's poor form is due to fittness. He wanted to chase but just didnt have the legs to chase. His nickname is Mr Fumbles keeps fumbling under pressure. Only young so another preseason is needed & he will be a huge part of our rebuild.
need a meme of cripps handing over the fumbles trophy to ginbey...but the trophy gets fumbled as it changes hands.

His games has been a bit undersold on here by some folks who are already set in their opinion of him imo

21 disposals (9 contested), 4 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements and a disposal efficiency of 76%

If that was, say a Chesser, the whole board would be frothing over it

Or a Ginbey.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back