Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay and more than stand by my comment in the votes thread about how trash Tom Cole was. Everything good for Brisbane went through whoever he was on at the time.

Cameron’s second goal and Lohmann absolutely torched him in the last quarter. Plus an assortment of trailing his man in or ball watching as Rayner burst into the 50 past him.

Another of the 2018 team that we need to move on from for mine. Get Burgiel or Baker into the team for these last few games.
He was poor defensively, one particular non-chase in the third was horrid.

But he was more attacking than usual, at least. Won a fair bit of the ball after that incident.

I wouldn’t complain if we grabbed a couple of good general backs in the draft, because that position is looking thin and grim. Another Waters, Jetta, or Hurn would be nice.

The biggest positive for me is that players were being played in their best or draft positions for the majority if the game...

Ginbey at half-back
Trew in the middle
Ryan from the goal square
Jones up forward

Good start from Schofield. It will be interesting to see his decisions over the next six weeks.
Jones is bad up forward and Ginbey should be in the middle.

He's been moving like this since round 1.

He's still growing into his body and maybe he'll settle at that weight but to my eye he's not moving as well as he did last year and the big thing that's changed is his body composition.
Personally I think he is moving better than last year. He was setting PBs in the offseason at this weight which is the most objective evidence we have.

Personally I think he is moving better than last year. He was setting PBs in the offseason at this weight which is the most objective evidence we have.

Of course he was setting PBs it was his first full pre season.

Anyways it's all subjective, everyone's eye test is different.

Biggest positive was selection integrity returned. Some guys needed to be dropped and some deserved an opportunity. Let's keep it that way, reward performance, not vague platitudes covering up deficiencies.

Biggest negative was playing Jones as a forward. All of his better games have been as a running half back. If the coaching panel don't want him there, then don't play him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man Ryan could have had 4 goals and 20 touches. Epic game from him. Absolutely loving his move up the ground. that was initiated by Simpson so a big tick for the coaches in 2024
I have a sibling that's involved in whiteboards and they told me that Simpson didn't know the magnets were magnets until Sam Mitchell told him one day that they can be moved around.

He thought they were glued to the board in pre-season! Everybody laughed, except Mitchell who is teh most professional coach.

Of course he was setting PBs it was his first full pre season.

Anyways it's all subjective, everyone's eye test is different.
Compared to his previous pre season when he was lighter? If it was the reason for him looking slow wouldn’t that be reflected in his pre season times?

I have a sibling that's involved in whiteboards and they told me that Simpson didn't know the magnets were magnets until Sam Mitchell told him one day that they can be moved around.

He thought they were glued to the board in pre-season! Everybody laughed, except Mitchell who is teh most professional coach.
I can confirm that is a Trew version of events. Infact if Trew’s magnet had not been accidentally lost during the great magnetic blast from the Sun earlier this year, It is Trew that Trew would have played earlier!

Compared to his previous pre season when he was lighter? If it was the reason for him looking slow wouldn’t that be reflected in his pre season times?

It's not his ability to run all day, but his repeat efforts at the contest that to me he looks laboured at.

Just my opinion, happy for him to come out in the last few rounds and smash it.

It's not his ability to run all day, but his repeat efforts at the contest that to me he looks laboured at.

Just my opinion, happy for him to come out in the last few rounds and smash it.
Nearly like he is a second year player who has played a decent amount of time in the middle...

Petch up for selection. Doesn't deserve selection.
Only seven games in the season we can't risk bringing in players that haven't earned it through the wafl level when we have players knocking at the door
Gibney has the athletic profile but I’m not sure he has the football profile.
He doesn’t have clean hands, he just doesn’t have that natural feel for the bounce.
He hesitates in attacking the ball/contest, not from fear but just not sure of his place in the footy jigsaw.
I think going to HB is ideal as he can just run forward and as a defender he knows he has to go hard and fast and not think to much! He has the profile/attitude to succeed. Least of our worries at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back