Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz has been fine.
No one has been fine.
To play this badly takes a total team effort.
Our defence of the premiership is an absolute embarrassment.
It’s like they don’t really care all that much.
I’ve defended them as much as anyone, but man, that was shocking.

We suck.

How can this bee after last year?

Embarrassing

Can you please elaborate? I'm missing the connection between the soccer kicks - which were mostly executed in desperation and to frighteningly little effect - and a lack of hunger. Not hungry enough to bend down and pick the ball up? Or desperate attempts to move the ball on out of congestion?

We did seem to do a lot of it.
Geelong attempted to put their head over it consistently all night when the ball was at ground level, worst case it's a ball up and a repeat stoppage, best case you use quick handball to move the ball quickly.

A kick off the ground generally transpires due to panic or fumbles at ground level and the imminent pressure the opposition are bringing to the ball. And when you soccer it forward, you're generally going to move it directly into a turnover zone where it allows the opposition to rebound with no pressure. They murdered us off of every soccer kick all night.

Our biggest concern fwiw is not even the back 50, it's the midfield getting chewed up. Moore and IQ are hugely out of form but I will continually blame the midfield.

Defence can only do so much when there's lack of pressure up the field. Few boys with huge careers and pedigrees not living up to the hype.

Outside Daicos, who can we entrust to actually win a clearance? Daicos has 11, JDG has 6 and as a team we have 35. 50% of our clearances from two players.

Comparatively, Bowes 7, Stewart 5, Danger 6, Miers 5, Atkins and SDK 4 each, 42 as a team.

We are failing to do the bare minimum around the footy and win the contested ball. Centre clearances 16-6. Then when an oppo has their leg up, we are being burnt on the spread.

Got to work out who is taking over Pendles and despite Crisp's last 2 months he was woeful tonight.
Agree with this. Soundly beaten again with inside 50’s. The ball is living in our defence. We are leaking like a sieve. With the uncontested possessions it’s almost like we start the game at our defensive 50

Why did we change the assistant structure from last season that was working?
Because both Bolton and Leppa were offered bigger and higher paying jobs at other clubs. To keep them, we made them Director of This and Strategist of That, and moved around other assistants into their roles.

In other words we had no option but to change the assistant structure.

Geelong attempted to put their head over it consistently all night when the ball was at ground level, worst case it's a ball up and a repeat stoppage, best case you use quick handball to move the ball quickly.

A kick off the ground generally transpires due to panic or fumbles at ground level and the imminent pressure the opposition are bringing to the ball. And when you soccer it forward, you're generally going to move it directly into a turnover zone where it allows the opposition to rebound with no pressure. They murdered us off of every soccer kick all night.
I agree the soccer kicks were a disaster. I think you’ve explained the ‘hunger’ issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong 2023 = Collingwood 2024.
  • Both reigning premiers.
  • Both started the season 0-3.
  • Both rebounded and starting gathering momentum into the season.
  • Both drop off in the latter stages of the season.
  • Both had the oldest lists in the league.

Geez, I hate playing zone defence. We have 4 players standing in a group guarding grass with no one near them. Means any half decent kicking team can just hit unattended team mates with ease and bring that ball downfield with no ****en pressure.

Agree with this. Soundly beaten again with inside 50’s. The ball is living in our defence. We are leaking like a sieve. With the uncontested possessions it’s almost like we start the game at our defensive 50

-21 on inside 50's and we lose by 20 points.

I don't care who you have down back, if the ball is down there that much how are you expecting a defence to hold up.

Alternatively, how do you expect a forward line devoid of our bigs and stars to kick a winning score with only 41 inside 50's.

It all comes down to the work rate of the mids and wingers.

The last quarter showed the problem; not enough dangerous players in the team at present. We have been able to cover for key injuries for half a season, but eventually we just ran out of classy players. We get two back and lose two more. A good effort like last week, but we are just battling to keep our heads above water. Bad luck, but heh, we are still the reigning Premier. BTW, I have learnt to stay out of the Game Day thread..........no matter how tempted I may be! Greek Lunatic tries to be the voice of reason, but he is swamped by the usual shills. Stay away Neil.

Thanks to that Terrible Trade for Schultz

Schultz was supposed to be the cherry on top, but then the injury imp went and stole the cake on us Dave.

It is a risk you take as premiers, who was to know we'd lose McStay for the season literally a couple of weeks later and then be decimated by injury up forward across the second half of the season?

Last edited:
Scott Selwood is forward line coach, while Jordan Roughead oversees the backline.

And Hayden Skipworth is Senior Assistant and Midfield coach.
Curious isn't it. Would have thought it would make logical sense to have a former AFL defender as a defensive coach, a former AFL forward as a forward coach, a former AFL ruckman as a ruck coach and a former AFL midfielder as a midfield coach. Maybe it's just me and my old school irrational ways of thinking and there must be some method to this madness.

Because both Bolton and Leppa were offered bigger and higher paying jobs at other clubs. To keep them, we made them Director of This and Strategist of That, and moved around other assistants into their roles.

In other words we had no option but to change the assistant structure.

This. No truer words have been spoken. We thought that we could shuffle the deck chairs and everything would be hunky dory.

Need to revisit all positions at the end of the year.

And if Wright wants to go - let him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back