Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see the drop off the past couple of weeks in the crowd numbers.

Collingwood v Essendon should be a 90k crowd.

Last night should have been 85k

Wonder how much the players are noticing the crowds down. The people streaming out when they can’t come back and win.

If they truly rate their “19th player” then show up for them!

Collectively the just got puffed up over being premiers last year. Bobby hill a huge casualty of it, winning the Norm Smith.

Q. What’s worse than having a partner whose team beat you last night?

A. Having that partner want to ‘analyse’ what went wrong with you the morning after.

I don’t give a flying &@*+ about analysing what went wrong! I was there, I could see Geelong playing keepings off with us. And all those times when the ball was kicked into our forward line, where we had one player to their three, and the shortest Geelong player was about 15cm taller than our valiant small forward.

I also don’t need to be told that we have no tall forwards. No shit Sherlock.

Apart from that, everything is wonderful.

Good morning. Hope everyone has a pleasant rest of the weekend despite the bad start.

Due to work, timing, local footy etc. It's hard for me to get to games, even as a member. I managed to get along last night though which was nice despite vandalism on the Craigieburn line at Essendon making timing a bit tight.

Anyway, instead of my customary position up near the top, I managed to get a seat on level 2 for the 1st time in ages. I was surrounded by fellow passionate Pies fans who were eager to have a chat which was great and the view was pretty awesome too.

After looking likely for a good part of the game ultimately I thought some glaring errors at crucial times and an inability to stop Geelong switching the ball back after going one way where the opened up a heap of space in positions where our (very) suspect defensive structure fell down. Those last few minutes where we just allowed them to have a kick to kick was, frankly, infuriating.

I hear and read a lot about hit-outs, but for mine so many of them last night went straight to Geelong players. I'm not blaming Cameron who I thought was ok, but it highlights an issue in the midfield as a whole. The work rate of Nick Daicos needs to somehow be replicated by the rest or at least fix what seems like a pretty glaring communication issue.

Love the coach and always enjoy listening to people who know the game well which in turn helps me understand it more, but I thought he was out-coached last night.

Not sure where to now, but a lot of soul searching needs to be done.

Anyway, another game day for me as I head to Wallan to cheer on my other Magpies. Have a great day everyone. :)

Pendles was a massive liability in the center square, he's just way too slow to be effective. It's unfair to the other mids and defence that he provides no defensive pressure once the ball gets to space.

Long was terrible

Maynard/Quaynor poor

Moore had his usual poor/mediocre game

Harrison is due for a spell in the VFL

Hill once again another shocker. Tried to do so much but had such little positive influence

Schultz and Lipinski very quiet

De Goey was good, Nick Daicos was good.

Josh Daicos has completely fallen away this season.

WHE was good

Richards was good

Elliot good.

Markov is a bloody VFL player

Between Moore and Frampton was actually have the worst KPD in the league.
long was NOT terrible he blunted Stewart very well in first 2 and a bit quarters ( he had no real preseason remember???) .. watch the game without the anger .. .. IQ had his best game for ages .. but blaming players as you do all the time is easy from the keyboard .. credible posters have pointed out however that the issues are round game plan, style and effort etc .. you just taking cheap potshots at players .. not unusual though eh>

Some are losing faith in Fly? Dear God. The man got us up for a flag less than 12 months ago when we were not the best team in the competition. He performed brilliantly in the finals.

How fickle. How pathetic. How quickly people forget when in the midst of a dummy spit.

I do agree, love Fly, but we also can be critical if the exact same game style that beat us the week before, beats us again.

His positivity in the presser after the match was excellent, but they do need to re-evaluate our team defence, which is shocking at the moment.

long was NOT terrible he blunted Stewart very well in first 2 and a bit quarters ( he had no real preseason remember???) .. watch the game without the anger .. .. IQ had his best game for ages .. but blaming players as you do all the time is easy from the keyboard .. credible posters have pointed out however that the issues are round game plan, style and effort etc .. you just taking cheap potshots at players .. not unusual though eh>
Yeah, I wouldn’t criticise Long in only his second game with us (or 1.25 games), and playing in a significantly underperforming team. Seeing him standing Danger in the centre made me almost feel sorry for him.

But he’s a mid and he will get those tasks if he’s to have any sort of career. Too soon to judge.

I loved what Fly said about not making excuses.
The guy is an absolute winner.

Hopefully all the players attend the VFL game today and celebrate the return of McStay.

A. Having that partner want to ‘analyse’ what went wrong with you the morning after.

I don’t give a flying &@*+ about analysing what went wrong! I was there, I could see Geelong playing keepings off with us. And all those times when the ball was kicked into our forward line, where we had one player to their three, and the shortest Geelong player was about 15cm taller than our valiant small forward.

Reef should have started at FF

Can't have this.

Geelong continually transitioned the ball around our 'zone' all night. They had 3-4 players waiting out on the fat side of the ground all night and we allowed it time after time. Ollie Dempsey must stink because Lippa refused to go anywhere near him. We're obsessed with blocking the corridor, yet Geelong just kicked it through our defensive set up like it was a training drill.

Completely out coached, out played and the Cats played with a ferocity of a season defining game for both sides.

Watching our lads laughing and back slapping post game shows it means more to fans than what it does to the players.
It feels like other teams easily change their game to completely/mostly negate us. They change their game plan AND execute the change in style quite well against us. So frustrating to see that change be easy for other teams yet we won’t/can’t make small tweaks.

Oppo killing you at center clearance? Go defensive and aim for a secondary’s stoppage to bring numbers in for support?

Oppo chipping around your zonal defence? Play closer to your opponents for a 5-10 minute stretches in quarter to disrupt their plan?

Oppo mids winning the ball at will? Try a tag ffs! Try Bruz as a run with through the middle?

Moore completely ineffective? Ruck? Forward? Starting mid? ****ing Tom Stewart can do it, why not Moore?

Zero desperation on field and zero in the box as well.

Have a fun day VP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha! Thanks. Now I’m having brekky and waiting for the ‘caring’ and ‘thoughtful’ in-laws (most of whom are Cats fans) to starting texting me. Under the pretext of checking in, to see if I’m ok.

Well I’m not!!!
Geelong waterslide sounds better than "caring" in-laws...

Reef should have started at FF
McInnes should be given minutes in the midfield and if he’s sub he should come into the midfield. Higher ceiling as a mid than a forward

McInnes should be given minutes in the midfield and if he’s sub he should come into the midfield. Higher ceiling as a mid than a forward
Agree.

I can’t see the harm in playing him more higher up the ground

At various points this year they’ve tried
Macrae, Sullivan, Bytel, Long…

there’s clearly a spot there to be taken by someone

"We kicked the last goal"

what in the actual ****
Down by 4 goals, 1 minute left. McInnes took his full 30 seconds to have a shot on goal, Cameron took a while for his shot too. We were too far down, but we would have moved the ball much quicker in both moments when we were at the top of our game.

Hard to reconcile what has happened since last years’ prelim, where we were able to stop GWS scoring for 7 min of game time, to now where we can’t stop a team from getting goals in the last quarter when chasing a lead.

Close games are now losses not wins

We’re losing by bigger margins each week. Twice now this season, we’ve lost 3 in a row. Hopefully we don’t continue this streak!

To me, it looks like they’re no longer buying in. The belief we all spoke of, has gone.

No opposition will be rating our comeback attempts now. The self fulfilling prophecy where teams would get rattled as soon as they saw us coming, that’s done.

Injuries have played a part. A big part. But it’s more than that.

The outnumber. The pressure. The ability to stop opponents from scoring. The ability to score quickly in bursts ourselves. These all require effort. It’s a taxing game style but you are rewarded for effort.

Signature of both 2022 back half of the season, and especially 2023.

Saw a small glimpse of it between rounds 3 and 9 or so this year. But everything that was Craig McRaes brand has all but disappeared now.

I think he’s lost the playing group. I don’t know how he gets them back now.

What a ride 2022 and 2023 were. We were so spoilt. It was thrilling. Now it’s a memory. The ride is over.

It's almost like they need to man up! Actually make the opponent kick to a contest.

Maybe there is a gentleman's agreement - when we are in the lead teams will let us play kick to kick.
I suspect it’s to force teams down the boundary with their second kick, but I’ve never got why we allow a loose opponent 45m from goal on the boundary during opposition kick ins. Sides are now going sideways instead of to that contest on the wing boundary with the next kick.

A few times last night the cats ignored the loose and went to a contest in the centre. While Geelong won a few of those contests, we did too or at least brought the footy to ground.

I’d start with man on man during opposition kick ins.

Is it a team direction to kick it off the ground? Why don’t we try to win possession anymore?
Yeah that seemed odd to me. One of the first things I was taught NOT to do when playing as a junior.

Maybe it was the wet conditions?

Probably been said already by another…

But crikey… if you let an opponent mark the ball 145 times in a game… you have no hope of winning

That just spells out to me that Fly has lost them on effort
It's the defensive system. We allow it. System is cooked.

Players noticably underperorming this year:
  • Moore
  • Markov
  • Quaynor
  • Frampton
  • J.Daicos
  • Schultz
  • Lipinski
  • Hill
  • Crisp

Players with interrupted seasons through injury:
  • Mihochek
  • Cox
  • Mitchell
  • DeGoey
  • Elliott
  • Richards
  • Hoskin Elliott
  • Kreuger
  • Howe
  • McStay
  • McCreery

Players performing at or above expected
  • N.Daicos
  • D.Cameron

And the rest have either played over 300 games, under 10, or I'm not sure what to make of them.

I'd love to say we can still make something out of this season, but I just don't see it.

This uncontested marking game also has us in all sorts. Its killIing us every week and we have no answer for it which means our coaches are getting outcoached too.

We've lost our identity, and we're officially cooked.

Watch the '23 GF as many times as you can while we're still premiers.

"This uncontested marking game also has us in all sorts. Its killIing us every week and we have no answer for it which means our coaches are getting outcoached too"

Fly's style is from Richmond - pressure football, run and attack the opposition with high tackling pressure. Its a very effective method/formula but requires hard work and it is taxing. Fly was an assistant coach during Richmond's recent successful period and he has bought a lot of things from Richmond to Collingwood including that style of play.

The way to beat Richmond during that successful period (if good enough) was uncontested possessions and marks by the opposition. Richmond wanted the ball on the ground, opposition teams at the time such as Geelong and West Coast wanted the ball in the air.

This is how Collingwood are now being beaten and found out and you're right Fly will need to change things up for next season.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back