Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the defensive system. We allow it. System is cooked.
It sure is. To late in the season for big adjustments unfortunately. But wholesale changes are needed in the off season. We are basically just allowing Oppo teams to start the game just outside our inside 50 arc. It’s almost like we don’t value the field between the arcs. It’s so odd

IMG_0099.gif

Josh Daicos fallen away. Are you kidding. He averages 23.9 disposals a game. Last year 25. He gets more attention now. But he’s good most weeks. It’s just he’s playing in a side far inferior to the last couple of seasons

He’s finding it and mostly butchering it. That’s the issue

I literally said that I didn’t really give it much credence because the season hadn’t started yet. So I had seen nothing to suggest there was any validity to it

Like, some of you are melting down over it now. Imagine if I had said it back then. Before we had even played a practice game lol

Most of you are atrocious at dealing with negativity. Like I would have brought that to the table before the season had even started
So when we lost 3 in a row - you believed the rumours that the players were unhappy were true - and said nothing.

Then we had an excellent run of form, which meant the rumours were false.

Now with the return of losses you think the players are unhappy again and the rumours were correct.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds.

"This uncontested marking game also has us in all sorts. Its killIing us every week and we have no answer for it which means our coaches are getting outcoached too"

Fly's style is from Richmond - pressure football, run and attack the opposition with high tackling pressure. Its a very effective method/formula but requires hard work and it is taxing. Fly was an assistant coach during Richmond's recent successful period and he has bought a lot of things from Richmond to Collingwood including that style of play.

The way to beat Richmond during that successful period (if good enough) was uncontested possessions and marks by the opposition. Richmond wanted the ball on the ground, opposition teams at the time such as Geelong and West Coast wanted the ball in the air.

This is how Collingwood are now being beaten and found out and you're right Fly will need to change things up for next season.
Spot on.

Dimma showed everyone the blueprint on how to beat his old game plan, when Gold Coast soundly beat us. Essendon and Geelong have adapted that same model. So will everyone else now.

Q. What’s worse than having a partner whose team beat you last night?

A. Having that partner want to ‘analyse’ what went wrong with you the morning after.

I don’t give a flying &@*+ about analysing what went wrong! I was there, I could see Geelong playing keepings off with us. And all those times when the ball was kicked into our forward line, where we had one player to their three, and the shortest Geelong player was about 15cm taller than our valiant small forward.

I also don’t need to be told that we have no tall forwards. No shit Sherlock.

Apart from that, everything is wonderful.
I still think you should spit in his coffee.

So when we lost 3 in a row - you believed the rumours that the players were unhappy were true - and said nothing.

Then we had an excellent run of form, which meant the rumours were false.

Now with the return of losses you think the players are unhappy again and the rumours were correct.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds.

Uh…that’s you saying all this lol

I’m bringing it up now because the season is done.

A. Having that partner want to ‘analyse’ what went wrong with you the morning after.

I don’t give a flying &@*+ about analysing what went wrong! I was there, I could see Geelong playing keepings off with us. And all those times when the ball was kicked into our forward line, where we had one player to their three, and the shortest Geelong player was about 15cm taller than our valiant small forward.

I assume you told Mr Park to shove his analysis up his nether passage.

McInnes should be given minutes in the midfield and if he’s sub he should come into the midfield. Higher ceiling as a mid than a forward
Yes, I've wondered about this for a while. He's certainly got the physical attributes, but has he got the footy smarts? Can he use his body? Has he lined up as a mid in the VFL? More importantly, has he got the tank?

I noticed we seemed to be playing mostly along the northern wing, which I thought made us very predictable.
A couple of times Jack Crisp was alone in the centre square, with no Geelong player within 30 metres, and nobody seemed to notice.
Maybe the boys have lost the confidence to use the corridor.

True love is knowing where the buttons are and how to push them 😀

Hopefully we are having a chat to Simpson to see if he is interested in helping out Fly.
With two main line coaches in Leppitsch and Bolton having their roles split would have impacted the messaging of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I've wondered about this for a while. He's certainly got the physical attributes, but has he got the footy smarts? Can he use his body? Has he lined up as a mid in the VFL? More importantly, has he got the tank?
Played more midfield in 2021, before injury. Looked good bursting from the centre clearances against the tuggers at punt road.

Riddle me this …

Why is this forum filled with folks who before the game are so cocksure of a win against a team that are above us on the ladder …

… and then after the game when we lose they want to toss their toys out of the cot, call the season over, and blame everyone from the backline to the bootstuder for having the temerity to not meet their unmanaged expectations?

Genuinely curious what gives you that hope outside just…blind hope?

The injury situation seems to be about the same. Each time get someone back we lose someone.

Tactically we seem to have been figured out to the point where teams are just copying other teams methods rather than playing their normal way

Large numbers of experienced players are playing poorly and without passion

So yeah, curious as to where the inspiration for hope is coming from
From the same place as last year when you moaned incessantly for weeks we couldn’t win the flag.

I’ve already said you love grandstanding that’s why you’ve brought it up.

So was it still grandstanding in the last couple of pre-seasons when the stuff I had heard was positive (and true) and I mentioned it during pre-season?

Like I said, this place deals with negativity horribly so not sure why I’d bring up something like that before we’d even played a practice match

Hopefully we are having a chat to Simpson to see if he is interested in helping out Fly.
With two main line coaches in Leppitsch and Bolton having their roles split would have impacted the messaging of players.
Had to have emergency dental treatment yesterday 👹.......

Dentist is a crazy Eagles supporter - I raised this exact point with him. He thinks AS has a young family entrenched in Perth - kids at school etc and may not want to move back East just yet - but agree Simpson seems a bloody decent type who might fit well with Fly

We are a bit of a mess at present no doubt. Tactically we seem at a loss however when I focus on tactics our glaring drop off in skills raises its head. Hard to implement the plan when we aren’t executing the skills. Have to go back to basics and hard work and concentration. Feels very much like we are expecting things to happen rather than making them happen at the moment.

Riddle me this …

Why is this forum filled with folks who before the game are so cocksure of a win against a team that are above us on the ladder …

… and then after the game when we lose they want to toss their toys out of the cot, call the season over, and blame everyone from the backline to the bootstuder for having the temerity to not meet their unmanaged expectations?
Welcome to BF

A Quick Look at inside 50 stats.

We are 6th worst for inside 50’s. And yet third best for scoring on inside 50’s behind only Carlton and the swans

Even with our forward line issues we still score when we get it there which is impressive tbh.

Getting it there is the issue…

Perhaps because we push everyone up through ground and leave so much space in the front half so when it eventually gets in there they can get a shot.

Problem is the ball rebounds untouched to the other end.

Can't have this.

Geelong continually transitioned the ball around our 'zone' all night. They had 3-4 players waiting out on the fat side of the ground all night and we allowed it time after time. Ollie Dempsey must stink because Lippa refused to go anywhere near him. We're obsessed with blocking the corridor, yet Geelong just kicked it through our defensive set up like it was a training drill.

Completely out coached, out played and the Cats played with a ferocity of a season defining game for both sides.

Watching our lads laughing and back slapping post game shows it means more to fans than what it does to the players.
Are you blind to the reality that losing teams of this generation, have the same post match demeanor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back