Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the reason our defense looks at see is the amount of unforced errors we are conceding.
Over cooking kicks without pressure, giving shitty little handballs to teammates under pressure, holding onto the ball a touch too long before giving it off when it should’ve been given straight away.

I’m not so doom and gloom. If we can’t get our decision making right this year and correct our basic skill errors it will be corrected quickly over the preseason.

We may need some fresh runners across our lines, but like it was mentioned by someone above, the competition is still so even that holding onto some senior guys will be ok in 2025. It’s 2026 if they all call it quits at the same time that could be a tricky situation for us without having any others coming through.

Hopefully we are already well aware of who is coming out of contract and are in their ears to come across.

Rubbish - no one believed Joey was any good. In fact people were ridiculing Reid’s ability to spot talent.

Reckon you might be starting to fall apart mate. Just take a break and calm down

Even if you take Richards away, hell, let’s take Harrison away. We still had Beau, Hill, Elliott and Ginnivan at the time we made the deal.

The point being, we didn’t really need another small forward. Let alone need one that cost us as much as he did.

I suspect it’s to force teams down the boundary with their second kick, but I’ve never got why we allow a loose opponent 45m from goal on the boundary during opposition kick ins. Sides are now going sideways instead of to that contest on the wing boundary with the next kick.

A few times last night the cats ignored the loose and went to a contest in the centre. While Geelong won a few of those contests, we did too or at least brought the footy to ground.

I’d start with man on man during opposition kick ins.

They need Leppa involved with the defence and setting up a zone.

We are waiting for the opposition to make a mistake. The kicker is not under pressure often enough. If we are expecting players under no pressure to make mistakes, well thats a flawed strategy.

I think our forwards should be applying more forward pressure. We don't seem to be hunting often enough.

In terms of when we have the ball, we need better kickers in the back half. Markov and Noble just don't cut it. Would love a couple of lefties. I have already mentioned Hinge from the Crows. Is a better kick and has more depth to his kicking.

I think we need to also determine in the final part of the season what we do with Dean. He is now injury free which is positive. But is he capable? We can't afford to have too many list cloggers.

It's like we know what we need - replacements for Howe and Sidey. But unfortunately Hine has not been able to deliver thus far. No one said it would be easy but we don't appear to be close.

So was it still grandstanding in the last couple of pre-seasons when the stuff I had heard was positive (and true) and I mentioned it during pre-season?

Like I said, this place deals with negativity horribly so not sure why I’d bring up something like that before we’d even played a practice match
Because you love grandstanding - it didn’t happen otherwise you couldn’t have resisted telling all at the time.

Reckon you might be starting to fall apart mate. Just take a break and calm down

Even if you take Richards away, hell, let’s take Harrison away. We still had Beau, Hill, Elliott and Ginnivan at the time we made the deal.

The point being, we didn’t really need another small forward. Let alone need one that cost us as much as he did.
Elliot plays a completely different role, and clearly there were concerns about Ginnivan and hence he was traded out.
Anything else.

Can't have this.

Geelong continually transitioned the ball around our 'zone' all night. They had 3-4 players waiting out on the fat side of the ground all night and we allowed it time after time. Ollie Dempsey must stink because Lippa refused to go anywhere near him. We're obsessed with blocking the corridor, yet Geelong just kicked it through our defensive set up like it was a training drill.

Completely out coached, out played and the Cats played with a ferocity of a season defining game for both sides.

Watching our lads laughing and back slapping post game shows it means more to fans than what it does to the players.
I wonder how Leppa's role as Head of Strategy is going?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how Leppa's role as Head of Strategy is going?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Painful to admit, but the Scott brothers have owned us over the past fortnight.

Geelong had 60 inside 50s! Should have won by seven goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to reconcile what has happened since last years’ prelim, where we were able to stop GWS scoring for 7 min of game time, to now where we can’t stop a team from getting goals in the last quarter when chasing a lead.

Close games are now losses not wins

We’re losing by bigger margins each week. Twice now this season, we’ve lost 3 in a row. Hopefully we don’t continue this streak!

To me, it looks like they’re no longer buying in. The belief we all spoke of, has gone.

No opposition will be rating our comeback attempts now. The self fulfilling prophecy where teams would get rattled as soon as they saw us coming, that’s done.

Injuries have played a part. A big part. But it’s more than that.

The outnumber. The pressure. The ability to stop opponents from scoring. The ability to score quickly in bursts ourselves. These all require effort. It’s a taxing game style but you are rewarded for effort.

Signature of both 2022 back half of the season, and especially 2023.

Saw a small glimpse of it between rounds 3 and 9 or so this year. But everything that was Craig McRaes brand has all but disappeared now.

I think he’s lost the playing group. I don’t know how he gets them back now.

What a ride 2022 and 2023 were. We were so spoilt. It was thrilling. Now it’s a memory. The ride is over.
Yep what happened to the full team defence. Even in the granny no one scored until the last 5 mins. We can't defend transition. That's every player not just the defence. It's clearly a gameplan issue and they aren't doing anything different.

Played more midfield in 2021, before injury. Looked good bursting from the centre clearances against the tuggers at punt road.
He's also been playing midfield in the 2nd half of the last few VFL games he has played, so they clearly see thats something they view in him. If we can re-sign him, unless he goes elsewhere and seeks greater opportunity -- then we should have him a full pre-season training mid, build his tank up even more, and he can split his time mid and forward.

Lets be brutally honest here:

1) we started the season 3 weeks earlier than any previous premier. Club did Zero to address that with the AFL. Fine for Jeff Browne to now say we wont do it again. Too late buddy. Horse has bolted.
2) love Fly but his "over sharing" has given the opposition a head start when the norm has been 3 or so years for other clubs to change the way they play to copy the premiers.
3) Sydney poached Adams not for his playing skills but his inside intel on the way the Pies played in 23. Lo and behold Sydney is all about pressure and the moments. Where did we hear that?
4) the loss of Murphy cuts deep. Moore only played that aggressive role because Murphy moped up his mistakes. We dont have that anymore.
5) Naicos is being sacraficed and the club says nothing. Put a f....ing video on him and make it public with the holds and scragging. Make the umpire and AFL accountable.
6) De Goey.....800k+ to burst out of the middle once in a game??? Biggest con job out there.
7) if Harley Reid wants $2mill f....ing pay it. Half our side will be gone next 2 years oppening up plenty of $.

Point #1 is what killed 2024

A couple times during the game (1/4 time and then again during the 3rd quarter), I made the comment that I couldn't believe we were actually in front. Felt like we were dominated most of the night and the Cats were missing easy shots. Bit like last week, I thought the scoreboard flattered us.

I just hope that the uncontested marking thing isn't something we have to sit through and watch every week. Geelong almost put me to sleep at times watching them chip the ball around the backline. Huge discrepancy in the numbers but a lot of Geelongs uncontested marks were pretty meaningless

As soon it happened I thought this is what would eventuate especially with the cats having already made their sub. Geelong are as dodgy as Port when it comes to concussion tests.
Yes, they also understand that they would lose Stewart for next week if they acted like he was concussed. Better to just sit him down for 10 min, let him gather himself and pretend nothing happened. But us, well, we do the right thing by the rules of course and sub Schultz out and lose him for next week in the process. The auto week off is the issue clubs face.

Can be pretty sure CS rang/ had dinner with BS after the Essendon game

So the blueprint to beat Richmond was uncontested marks?

Did teams only come to this conclusion after their dynasty?
Lol nothing new has been worked out here. The way to counter the high mark game is to get more posession of the ball yourself and put much more pressure on to close space. It's clearly workrate. The game plan works.

Harsh.

I thought we actually played pretty well - easily the best game in a month. That game would beat most teams.

It’s just that tonight Geelong were better.

First half was played at the tempo of a finals game. And Geelong matched us.
Agree, what I saw was a good effort compared to the last month.
We were winning those types of games the last 18 months, but we have clearly had injuries this year and lost our hassle for longer mantra.

Cue in rack now, next fortnight things could get very ugly for us.

Time to see who is part of the next tilt and begin planning for that.

It has been a great ride the last 3 years.

Keen to see how we go about the rest of year and how active we are in the trade period.

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back