Review Round 19, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably won't be the most popular opinion,but was I the only one that thought Matheisons late hit on Wingard and the standing over him after was just a cheap shot and a bit cringey? I like Matheison,but I thought it looked a bit weak,even though Wingard is a bit of a tool.
Show yourself out!!

Probably won't be the most popular opinion,but was I the only one that thought Matheisons late hit on Wingard and the standing over him after was just a cheap shot and a bit cringey? I like Matheison,but I thought it looked a bit weak,even though Wingard is a bit of a tool.
Wingard is a massive soft ****. There was nothing in it. Used the momentum and put some pepper on it to try and milk a 50.

In a season of appalling losses that's right up there with the Collingwood - Fremantle performances. We started the season by conceding 170 odd points against the Eagles and nothing has changed as we concede 170 points in round 19 against Port Adel!! That's a Port side with no Dixon or Schulz. If Dixon had played tonight he would have kicked 10 goals. Only our club can make Butcher look good. Our defensive structure is a disgrace as it has been every week and yet nothing changes. We have the youngest defence in the comp yet we do nothing to help them out. In fact we do the opposite we make them stand off their opponents and hope our manic midfield pressure will force rushed kicks. Well that hasn't worked from round 1 to now and how Leppa can't see this and won't try to fix it really pi$$es me off.

We need an injection of speed in the back line - midfield and up forward! We have no idea or plan when kicking the ball in from a behind. We have players like Pearce Hanley who don't care and who is not even trying. He has been my fave player in the last few years but Pearce you should be disgusted in your efforts last night and for most of the season. Same goes for Lewy Taylor.

Josh Green tries hard but for someone who is suppose to be quick he always allows his opponent to run off and when he has the ball he always has someone on him. I expect Green will leave at seasons end.

Archie was a pleasant surprise and their is something to work with their no doubt. He has lot's to learn but the talent is there. I would say thats the end for Trent West. Hipwood's highlights last night was about the only positive to take out of another hopeless performance.

Also our tackling - every week the opposition's player just break our putrid efforts to tackle and dish the ball of to any number of players streaming forward. How have we not fixed this ? Employ someone with a league background and teach them a proper tackling technique. For god sake we are based in the state who has won 10 of the 11 Origins and we are the worst tackling side in the comp !

Also our tackling - every week the opposition's player just break our putrid efforts to tackle and dish the ball of to any number of players streaming forward. How have we not fixed this ? Employ someone with a league background and teach them a proper tackling technique. For god sake we are based in the state who has won 10 of the 11 Origins and we are the worst tackling side in the comp !

We had someone in the pre season and started the season tackling really well but it's completely dropped off since

I think you're saying we should replace Leppa with Mal Meninga. I like it.

You are absolutely correct. One thing I will say is that I feel like tackling is something that can be connected with intensity and mindset. When the intensity is down and the mind is not on the job our tackling is always down. That said our technique is not as good as it could be.

You are absolutely correct. One thing I will say is that I feel like tackling is something that can be connected with intensity and mindset. When the intensity is down and the mind is not on the job our tackling is always down. That said our technique is not as good as it could be.

Yes no doubt when your chasing tail all match your strength and intensity drops off but our tackling ability lasts about 30 mins max and then like the rest of our game just deteriorates. Tackling is an attitude thing as well and our players signed off a long time ago.

The Lions have an incredibly average list with no depth. How many players would be able to get a gig and make an impact at another club? 5?

Not real sure what you want Leppa to do.

The reason the list is so bad is so many players have regressed under him, that is a coaching issue. This is the problem.

Edit: 'part of' the reason the list is so bad is his coaching results. Of coarse there have been other factors, expansion drafts, go home 5, facilities.

Last edited:
I thought Hammer battled hard while significantly outmatched.

He may be being gifted games but who else can we play down there at the moment? I suspect Jackson Paine would have been in consideration but he got suspended in the NEAFL last week.
I thought we went in too tall.

Having said that, Hammelman tries hard and shows a bit of promise. Given where we are at, it is not the end of the world to be giving him senior games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having said that, Hammelman tries hard and shows a bit of promise. Given where we are at, it is not the end of the world to be giving him senior games.

We certainly did go in too tall. The match ups down back were dreadful.

So, things went from bad to worse I see. I still believe we have a good list to go forward with, but gee, not sure now about the coaching of that list.

Starting to think th.......nah, just don't don't know what to think tbh.

All I really know is our club is in crisis, and it can't be denied any longer.

:'(

Yep, time and time again I saw Hammer trying to cover Wingard..........who goes on to kick 5. Great tactical move there!

my main areas of concern last night were, which has just confirmed a season long trend.

1) our lack of pace is very concerning. with the dramatic downturn in pearce hanleys form the only player we have with pace is dayne zorko and i wouldn't call his pace elite.

2) we looked like schoolboys up against men last night, port were busting tackles and out gut running us all night.

3) we made butcher and westhoff look like lockett and dunstall.

4) rog looked well off the pace.

5) we were caught unaware when port played quick play on/run past and receive handball run and gun footy.

with the crows, blues, cats and dogs to come IMO you can write down 3 of them as almost certain floggings, if we are smashed by the blues as well leppa will not survive the review at the end of the season, as lethal once said the numbers get you in the end and if you compare leppas numbers with vossys in his last year there is only one conclusion you can come to.

i think a lot of us (me included) got a bit over excited by the win against essendon last week:(

Two years ago, the Mozzy Squad had spark. They had really quick first steps, closing speed, brilliant anticipation and moved the ball quickly.

Zorko is still a very good player so I'll leave him out but Green and Taylor are shadows of their former selves. They are slow moving and slow of mind. Taylor has no acceleration at all and Green isn't much better. Because of that, their weaknesses are so much more obvious. But forgetting the weaknesses for a moment, where has all the speed, evasiveness and anticipation gone?
They don't care any more?

More desperation in the tackling, like this guy shows at the 25 second mark:

Apologies for the quality, best I could find at short notice :)

One of the reasons we stink in both attack AND defence is that the players reaction time/anticipation and awareness in most facets of the game are putrid. With ball in hand we're far too slow in picking out players to handball to and don't seem to have any awareness of opposition players in our vicinity. In defence it looks like our guys take that extra second to see what's taking place before they start running to tackle the ball carrier or cut off a possible disposal.

I still believe we have the cattle.
The assistants are just trying to implement the game plan.
That leaves The head coach that has to depart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

Back