VFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 47-63 #BoroughIrkedUs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayden Sier again performing well. Love it.
Did you see him play or are you just relying on the sycophantic Collingwood website article? I haven't read anything in this thread that has actually credited him with 'performing well'. He is very much a protected species. Pegged to the ground and all but stationary, he still gets named among the best.

Did you see him play or are you just relying on the sycophantic Collingwood website article? I haven't read anything in this thread that has actually credited him with 'performing well'. He is very much a protected species. Pegged to the ground and all but stationary, he still gets named among the best.
Watched him last week and he was terrific, strong and confident.
Cut the shit bagging of him.

Get another VFL game in to him and he’ll be a good inclusion for someone tired for the Richmond game.

It'll be interesting to see how we tackle the next 2 games with selection.

We could even play Wells against Essendon and then rest him for the Richmond one. Same with a few others such as Fasolo and Elliott fitness permitting.

I think there'll be debate about whether we try and just keep our best team together for Richmond and the week after to maintain consistency but I don't think it'll be that simple given the circumstances.

Watched him last week and he was terrific, strong and confident.
Cut the shit bagging of him.
I am talking of this week not last. I am not shit bagging. I genuinely want to know if he played well today in a losing team. I do not trust the club's VFL best player assessments. I would rather hear from people who watched the game.

In that sort of weather, supporters would have just seen a scrum of blokes a day been barely able to see the ball, let alone been able to identify players handballing out of packs.

In that sort of weather, supporters would have just seen a scrum of blokes a day been barely able to see the ball, let alone been able to identify players handballing out of packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood
Goal Kickers:G. Borthwick, C. Lane, J. Blair, S. McLarty, C. Mayne, J. Blair, R. Wills
Best Players:F. Appleby, E. Le Grice, M. Chippendale, J. Daicos, A. Gallucci, J. Blair

According to VFL website. I didn't see any of the game but no Sier or Wills...great to see Daics there though

I went today and conditions were foul. The first half was played in the rain and we looked ok, but it was contest after contest, pack after pack the entire game.
It dried out for the second half, but the pattern of play sadly continued and it was Port who got the upper hand.
Notables such as Wells did not do a great deal and as others have noted he sat out the last quarter. It was difficult for him in the wet but Mihocec wasn’t clean and fumbled a lot.
Blair was as expected in and under a lot and wasn’t too bad. Wills and Sier crashed and bashed but overall were rather ineffective. Daicos tried, but his disposal let him down.
McLarty being his size was noticeable without again doing too much. Given their experience you should expect more from Fasolo and Mayne.
Difficult conditions, but overall we did not play well at all and were deservedly beaten. No one really put their hand up for senior selection from this game.

I went today and conditions were foul. The first half was played in the rain and we looked ok, but it was contest after contest, pack after pack the entire game.
It dried out for the second half, but the pattern of play sadly continued and it was Port who got the upper hand.
Notables such as Wells did not do a great deal and as others have noted he sat out the last quarter. It was difficult for him in the wet but Mihocec wasn’t clean and fumbled a lot.
Blair was as expected in and under a lot andvwasnt too bad. Wills and Sier crashed and bashed but overall were rather ineffective.
McLarty being his size was noticeable without again doing too much. Given their experience you should expect more from Fasolo and Mayne.
Difficult conditions, but overall we did not play well at all and were deservedly beaten. No one really put their hand up for senior selection from this game.
Thank you, the only useful post in 12 pages of nonsense

Will be interesting to see if they bring Wells in.
I think whether they do or not will have nothing to do with how he went today. It is all about getting run in his legs. He will have another block of about 4 sold training days before the next game. If that is enough regards his gps readings i think they pick him.

The idea he needed to be in the best players is IMO irrelevant. He isn't a rookie, we know what he can do...it is just a matter of whether he will have the fitness to be ready with another week and a bit of training on top of what he has done.

Thank you, the only useful post in 12 pages of nonsense
Thanks, good to read that my contributions including goal commentary and brief player comments on a difficult day for observations are valued.

Collingwood
Goal Kickers:G. Borthwick, C. Lane, J. Blair, S. McLarty, C. Mayne, J. Blair, R. Wills
Best Players:F. Appleby, E. Le Grice, M. Chippendale, J. Daicos, A. Gallucci, J. Blair

According to VFL website. I didn't see any of the game but no Sier or Wills...great to see Daics there though
Wills tried to up his aggression today and I think he lost a little focus on the ball, when he had the footy it was mostly using brute force in often unsuccessful attempts to carry the footy through the packs. Some strong tackling as you'd expect and he moved better across the ground than in previous seasons with his slimmer frame.

Sier took one lovely clean mark at half back being used as a link player, but subsequently ran himself into trouble and was caught holding the footy. It was one of those days for everybody. He was slightly more outside than Wills, but like everybody else battled away in the wet conditions on a day where we lacked fluency in our play even after half time when it dried out. When I say dried out the second half was sunny and the surface dry at the end, but there were still puddles on the running track and outside of the boundary. To put the large amount of stoppages (ball ups / throw ins) and stop start footy into perspective most quarters lasted around 35 minutes.

Appleby was one of the few one touch players we had and was noticeably cleaner than any other 'pie. Had a great patch in the second quarter where he had the ball on a string and gave us some rare run off half back and through the middle.

I thought McLarty was unlucky to miss the bests. While his output dropped considerably in the second half he was huge for us in the first half using his bulk to either intercept the footy or provide a target on the wings marking smartly on his chest often in pack situations. Maybe a message that he needs consistency?

Daicos I didn't really notice outside of a few occasions where he put his head over the footy and won a free. At least one seen a heavy wet footy slid off his boot and out on the full. As I said it was one of those days.

How did Fasolo go?

Brown and Crocker are going quite well but you’d expect they would be the ones going out for Wells and Elliott when they are fit. Not sure how Fasolo gets back in barring more injuries.
Largely ineffective, but it wasn't a day for small lead up forwards as we didn't have any flow and rarely used the footy cleanly. Fasolo got up the ground a bit where he put his head over the footy, tackled hard and chased when he needed to. Didn't have much footy though.

Last edited:

For the brief period of time that I was at the game, I saw the back of people's heads and then I saw lots of water.

But seriously, in the first half it was very difficult to see what was going on. I was home for the second half.:(

Thanks to all the brave souls who gave us updates yesterday appreciated.......especially you Vicky Park :p

True Pies supporters. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 47-63 #BoroughIrkedUs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back