Autopsy Round 2: Richmond vs Collingwood - Changes for Adelaide

Vote for your top 5 players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Might not be a team rule but our players aren't encouraged to be brave and go alone when they have the ability to do so. Personally I would rather a team of selfish campaigners than a team afraid of seizing the moment when it's their turn.

People (rightfully) lay blame at Taylor Hunt for his turnovers tonight but at the same time his team mates know he isn't a good kick yet none of them are willing work to work hand enough so that they can get a cheap hand ball off him and do a better job of delivering it to a fellow team mate. This is where as a team we need to do a better job at utilising the delivery of our more skilled players and make it second nature when in transition but the problem is we're now into our fourth season of failing to do so and things don't look like changing.
The post I replied to was about TV passing specifically being a team rule, which is garbage. There is no way the coaches would've wanted him to pass the ball. As to being brave and going it alone, it all depends in what context? Imo we over possess the ball way too much and most of the time create pressure for our selves. I agree Hunt sometimes get thrown under the bus others up the field as well.

If you've come here just to talk about me on a Friday night that must make you the leader of Edward Bernays' fan club then?

That makes absolutely no sense.

It's a game autopsy thread Rayzor, you should try contributing to it.

I did.

Even if you only read the part quoting you and skipped the rest, I commented on the games of numerous individuals.

Why is it constantly the same sh!t week in week out, poor kicking skills, bad decision making, there is only 1 person to blame the coach. Not once in 7yrs have I seen him take responsibility for anything out on the field. Does he ever try anything creative during the game, moving players around etc..

why can't our team look like this

Deledio Rance Houli
Yarran Astbury McIntosh
Menadue C.Ellis B.Ellis
Lloyd Riewoldt Lennon
Short Martin Cotchin

Rucks / Followers - Maric Vlastuin, Miles
Bench Rioli, Vickery, Moore, Townsend

The players underlined I believe to be list cloggers, wont add much to us going forward and would look to replace.
Vickery is kinda like Koschitzke, fools gold, kicks goals in junk time, gets in peoples way, always looks for easy options over the back and no composure. weak as piss. Maybe be better if he were the focal point so rotate him with Riewoldt so he doesn't get in his way.
McIntosh is perfect for the backline, is a big body who can take key position defenders but also run off them and u can rotate him through the midfield to give guys like vlas and miles a chop out.
The best I've seen Deledio play is when he played out of the backline, who is great 1 on 1, he will get opportunities to run off and use his pace anyway and also to rotate and kick goals. He's also a little bit older and would manage his load better.
Houli, 35 touches of Sh!t, the sooner he is out the better just prances around but when under pressure always flails, why didn't he try to smother the ball when running back to goal when the Collingwood dude kicked it? Always goes to water, only does well against terrible sides.
We always look top heavy, why does Dimwit always persist with Vicks and Griff DDDAHHHHHHHHH is he retarted or just mental?
Only time I rekin Grigg has looked good has been when he has been tagging, so why the **** didn't he play on Pendlebury who just off the half back flank and carved us up with good disposal.
For people bagging C.Ellis he was playing on Taylor Adams who basically did nothing all game, whilst he had a few nice touches.
Vlaustin on Fasolo, hasn't got the pace, is he just dumb or Stupid Dimwit? How about Menadue or McIntosh?

The best our side has looked has been when Cotchin and Martin are forward so why not leave them there? Good one on one players who can kick goals. Makes sense to me.

Hardwick isn't a coaches ***hole, Assistant at best. And the board, why would u extend a persons contract who hasn't won u a final in 7 yrs. Just fulfilling their own agenda's. Hampson and Morris in the first round. Give me a break. Also Francis you have had enough time to address the ruck stocks so go get F**kd. The board has alot to answer for.

26 effective disposals. Highest in the game I believe.
Just remember that there is a way they categorise stats and it doesn't take into consideration of what was the best option. Cotch was good tonight but he also cost us as well, with getting in the way and also disposing of the ball to the wrong player in the chain.

Hard to assess this one. Was the worst game I've ever been to. So disappointing. Funny thing was I was sitting there watching the collingwood supporters leave thinking it definitely wasn't over. Oh well.

Hampson was great. Proved he is an AFL quality ruckman. Yeah he's a bit fumbly but created a contest and dominated Grundy in the hit outs. If you don't think hit outs are important check the centre clearance stat.

Cotch was great. Feel a bit sorry for the heat he's copped but he's playing his role and we get first use of the ball because of him.

Mcintosh, menadue both played well. Astbury played his best game for the club. I'd written him off but he proved me wrong.

Houli great as always.

Now, the negatives.

Shouldn't have lost that game. Bad kicking is bad football. 3-4 posters. Easy set shot misses. We dominated every important stat and our kicking for goal let us down. Should've been a 4-5 goal win.

Umpiring went against us tonight. The Fasolo mark was a stinker but nothing you can do about it now.

Hunt has probably done his dash. Was a good contributor last year but tonight just wasn't up to it. I know the guy personally and he'll be hurting worse than you'll all know. So try to ease up on him. He's a normal guy, just like us.

Rance wasn't at his best.

Overall I thought the game plan was solid. We moved the ball well and shut them down. We outplayed them most of the night and if we'd kicked straighter it would've been an easy win. That was the difference tonight.

It's easy to say we're cooked and Dimma is a shit coach and season is over rah rah rah, but it's round 2. This might be the wake up call we've needed.

Dimma out coached Bucks badly tonight, but the boys let him down on the scoreboard.

Oh and **** Treloar. ******* campaigner.

Agree with everything you said but the thing is how many times does this side need a wake up call .

This type of shit happens to much

Carlton rnd 20 2012
Carlton EF 2012
Roos EF 2015
Pies tonight

And there's prbly more matches but top of my head that's 4 right there .

Agree with everything you said but the thing is how many times does this side need a wake up call .

This type of shit happens to much

Carlton rnd 20 2012
Carlton EF 2012
Roos EF 2015
Pies tonight

And there's prbly more matches but top of my head that's 4 right there .
Can add a few games vs Melbourne and the dogs in the last few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i blame the match committee, i think we have some serious issues.
playing cellis? cmon he needs a stint in the 2s until he shows he can play afl.
not playing batchelor eff me. He has 1 bad game in the final and is now relegated to the ressies. Never mind the 18 good games he played last year. but we will play cellis again next week, even with his 6 possession game tonight.
at least batchelor gets the ball 20 odd times a game, he might shank a kick or two but geez. its better than someone who gets the ball 6 times and dont shank any of the possessions.
playing brandon ellis down back after 5years of running around the ground? whats with that crap. we had the best defence in the comp last year and our brains trust decide to change it.
in the final last year the match committee screwd us, playing an unfit conca and griff and are doing it again.
lennon has more class than half our team but cant get a game because of his defensive pressure? thats B/s. so 98% of his game is great but we leave him in the 2s because of a 2% deficiency in his game.
hampson OMG can we have Orren back ffs. how can you play elite AFL and not be able to kick. how is that possible.

what a bunch of absolute gimps.

wish fitzroy were still a team so i could support a bunch of guys with some spine

that's what you get for not playing batchelor, the only guy in our team who knows how to shepherd. *******s.

what a bunch of absolute gimps.

wish fitzroy were still a team so i could support a bunch of guys with some spine

that's what you get for not playing batchelor, the only guy in our team who knows how to shepherd. *******s.

Please do not feel obliged to support Richmond.

Last week we fumbled and bumbled our way to a win we didn't deserve, tonight we fumbled and bumbled our way to a loss we deserved.

We didn't lose it in the last quarter or the last 5 minutes or 2 minutes or the last 10 seconds. We lost the game tonight in the second quarter when we dominated the play and instead of kicking 6.1 or 5.2 we kicked 1.6 to the Pies 1.2. Kick accurately and we go into half time 5 goals up instead of 5 points. From there it is unlikely that we get beaten. Now I see from a brief look through the board that the usual suspects are complaining about Hardwicks coaching and lack of development and so on and so forth. But for as long as I have played and watched footy the coach doesn't kick at goal. That is our players and they let us the supporters down tonight with poor conversion when the game was there to be taken.

Had we kicked the 5-6 goals in the second quarter that our dominance suggests we should have kicked the Pies heads drop heading into half time and they start to question whether it's a case of too difficult and throw in the towel, but going in 5 points down gives them a sniff. Lets not forget in the 3rd we kicked the first goal of the half that would have put us 6 goals up and from there it is game over. So go ahead blame Hardwicks 'poor' coaching if you must but I won't be, because tonight we weren't outcoached, we were beaten by a team that did to us what we did to Carlton last week and that is steal a win they didn't deserve.

As for next week the changes I would make are:

Out:
Taylor Hunt 10 disposals 5 clangers and a ****ing momentum killer
Dylan Grimes injury
Jayden Short Injured collar bone

In:
Shane Edwards
Jake Batchelor
Daniel Rioli

B: Batchelor Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Houli Rance McIntosh
C: Menadue Grigg B.Ellis
HF: Martin Riewoldt Miles
F: Edwards Vickery Rioli
R: Hampson Townsend Cotchin
INT: C.Ellis Griffiths Lambert Lloyd

Needs to lift:
Griffiths, 200cm 100kg man who plays like the head knocks are playing on his mind. Needs to harden the **** up and assert himself on the game. Lennon gets his shit together and Griffiths is in trouble.
C.Ellis 6 disposals this week is not what is expected from a first round draft pick. Yes he laid 6 tackles which is great but we need him to start having a greater impact by getting hands on the footy and using that left boot to full effect.
Vickery over 100 games experience and he had the smarts to tell Lloyd to go back and kick his goal in the 3rd but then gets a rush of blood to the head in the last when he floats a pass to Lloyd instead of taking time off the clock and trusting himself to kick the goal. No wonder I call him Sideshow.

i blame the match committee, i think we have some serious issues.
playing cellis? cmon he needs a stint in the 2s until he shows he can play afl.
not playing batchelor eff me. He has 1 bad game in the final and is now relegated to the ressies. Never mind the 18 good games he played last year. but we will play cellis again next week, even with his 6 possession game tonight.
at least batchelor gets the ball 20 odd times a game, he might shank a kick or two but geez. its better than someone who gets the ball 6 times and dont shank any of the possessions.
playing brandon ellis down back after 5years of running around the ground? whats with that crap. we had the best defence in the comp last year and our brains trust decide to change it.
in the final last year the match committee screwd us, playing an unfit conca and griff and are doing it again.
lennon has more class than half our team but cant get a game because of his defensive pressure? thats B/s. so 98% of his game is great but we leave him in the 2s because of a 2% deficiency in his game.
hampson OMG can we have Orren back ffs. how can you play elite AFL and not be able to kick. how is that possible.

Probably does need a stint in the 2s to find some touch, Batchelor I watched during all NAB and thought he looked terrible, was making rookie mistakes a players of his years should not make. Wasn't he drafted as a second rounder, we could have taken Luke Parker that year? Francis Jackson has a lot to answer for.

So Richmond had 47 more disposals, 45 more effective disposals, 20 more marks,22 more hitouts, 12 less tackles, 9 frees less, 1 less goal, 7 more behinds, 2 less inside 50's, 13 more clearances, 6 more rebound 50's, 11 more 1%, 3 more contested possessions.

With those stats we should have won by 10 goals, not lose by a point.

Glad to see we can rackup possessions, but fail to get the ball inside 50 as much. That is just ridiculous.
We need to cut out the 15m kicks, it just gives possessions, which gives us more chance to turn over, slows the game and does not help us get it inside 50 anyway.
We would have to be the shortest kicking team in the comp.

But I guess we met our KPI's.

We're not playing well against poor opp and its proving we have no depth to cover injuries still.
We have been doing well at icing games the last few years, nothing will have changed strategically, the players panicked.

I liked
-Cotchin's game, we tried to get him into it as much as possible and its whats needed to get him up and going, 13 contested , 8 cl's and 38 possies isnt a bad game.
-Martin, Jack, Lambert, Houli, Grigg, Astbury, Short all good.
-Lloyd, Hampson, Ellis, Townsend, Vickery, Menadue, Miles. All ok..just..

Disliked-
-Griff. Non competitive, calling it now wont make it.
-Vlas. Shocker
-Cellis. Hardly made an impact at all, get him out of the backline.
-Hunt. Made too much of an impact.
-Too many poorly skilled players in the team, ball movement constantly breaks down through the middle.

Perfect storm for losing a game we should have won, injuries, poor kicking, panicking in last minutes, Fasolololol kicking 6 straight.

Longtime lurker, occasional poster. My thoughts on the game:

Cotchin: I don't think he had a bad game, but an average game, he got the cheapies in the first half, but at least was a presence at the bounce. He clearly isnt at his best I concede, but I reckon he will get back to his best, if he needs a couple of games where he racks up 2 cheapies for every 1 effective disposal so be it. I'm confident it will change to a couple more games of 1 cheep disposal to 1 effective disposal, then eventually a string of games with more effective disposals than cheapies.
KMac: Thought he had a good game, a couple of silly defensive decisions but he was no where near the worst.
Rance: would of had an on par game if it wasn't for some bad decisions in the 2nd half. worst game in 2 years yes but still a champion and will bounce back.
Hampson: Was impressed with his intent, he was actually good, totally dominated grundy.
Martin: was a beast and i dont think his defensive efforts let us down, plenty more things let us down before that.
Hunt: The bloke isnt soft (as some posters say), but he isnt any good, he cost three turnovers that led to 3 direct goals. Even worse it was when we had momentum and should have broken the game. One kick direct to a pies player, goal, then the very next bounce gives a free for holding the ball (he wasn't even attempting, just playing negative football but not good enough to fool anyone let alone an umpire), goal, then he bloody does it again which leads to another goal. Those three goals lost us the game. Then every blue after that would have been us complaining on how we missed a chance to increase our percentage. Did not do anything else that any other footballer couldn't do. Worst player on the ground today, had we played anyone else we would have won. Should not play again.
Jack: stood up when he needed to.
Vickery: except for the brain fade i thought he wasnt bad. I remember when people were hanging shit on him for not taking marks and being soft. Took strong marks, kicked two goals, serviceable in the ruck. He still stuffed up though by not icing the game but at the very least playing consistent footy early in the year (a change from previous years).
Houli: Very good.
Cellis: Didn't do enough, i did however remember one kick under pressure in the backline that was a pin point pass to a richmond player on the wing. I reckon he'll be a good player. We can't carry a player not doing much but would drop Hunt before Cellis.
Menadue: Looked so clean with the ball, will only get better, looking forward to a couple more kilos on his frame.
Jayden: Great first game.
Bellis: Average but played better than last week, if he can improve on that next week it will go long way.
Lambo: fast becoming one of my favorite players. Played tough, generally good with the ball, and tackled. Need two more of him.
Grigg, Miles,Townsend and Astbury: played okay, Astbury is getting better each game.
Lloyd: was a bit quiet.
Vlas: Mark this down as an uncharacteristic bad game, but still did some good things.
Griffiths and whoever else I missed: Not enough.

I know a lot posters are pissed and they should be, Collingwood is a shit team, and we should have won the game by 3 qtr time. But the situation is this we were/are missing 4 players that most if not all would agree would have made a significant difference (deledio, edwards, maric and grimes for three quarters). Deledio and edwards alone were a bigger loss that Swan and Sidearse. Add to that the player that was meant to improve us this year, Yarran was unavailable. Usually I'm with the rest of you, wondering why I decided to continually punish myself after every loss, feeling like it won't get any better. But Considering our outs, playing one man down, the way some of our depth either did nothing or helped the opposition (Cellis, Hunt), and the way some of our most reliable players had uncharacteristic off games (Rance, Vlas), plenty of scope for improvement. Put a couple of key players in, take a couple out, the usually good performers bouncing back, then you got a team that whipped collingwood by 91 points.

Why is it constantly the same sh!t week in week out, poor kicking skills, bad decision making, there is only 1 person to blame the coach. Not once in 7yrs have I seen him take responsibility for anything out on the field. Does he ever try anything creative during the game, moving players around etc..

why can't our team look like this

Deledio Rance Houli
Yarran Astbury McIntosh
Menadue C.Ellis B.Ellis
Lloyd Riewoldt Lennon
Short Martin Cotchin

Rucks / Followers - Maric Vlastuin, Miles
Bench Rioli, Vickery, Moore, Townsend

The players underlined I believe to be list cloggers, wont add much to us going forward and would look to replace.
Vickery is kinda like Koschitzke, fools gold, kicks goals in junk time, gets in peoples way, always looks for easy options over the back and no composure. weak as piss. Maybe be better if he were the focal point so rotate him with Riewoldt so he doesn't get in his way.
McIntosh is perfect for the backline, is a big body who can take key position defenders but also run off them and u can rotate him through the midfield to give guys like vlas and miles a chop out.
The best I've seen Deledio play is when he played out of the backline, who is great 1 on 1, he will get opportunities to run off and use his pace anyway and also to rotate and kick goals. He's also a little bit older and would manage his load better.
Houli, 35 touches of Sh!t, the sooner he is out the better just prances around but when under pressure always flails, why didn't he try to smother the ball when running back to goal when the Collingwood dude kicked it? Always goes to water, only does well against terrible sides.
We always look top heavy, why does Dimwit always persist with Vicks and Griff DDDAHHHHHHHHH is he retarted or just mental?
Only time I rekin Grigg has looked good has been when he has been tagging, so why the **** didn't he play on Pendlebury who just off the half back flank and carved us up with good disposal.
For people bagging C.Ellis he was playing on Taylor Adams who basically did nothing all game, whilst he had a few nice touches.
Vlaustin on Fasolo, hasn't got the pace, is he just dumb or Stupid Dimwit? How about Menadue or McIntosh?

The best our side has looked has been when Cotchin and Martin are forward so why not leave them there? Good one on one players who can kick goals. Makes sense to me.

Hardwick isn't a coaches ***hole, Assistant at best. And the board, why would u extend a persons contract who hasn't won u a final in 7 yrs. Just fulfilling their own agenda's. Hampson and Morris in the first round. Give me a break. Also Francis you have had enough time to address the ruck stocks so go get F**kd. The board has alot to answer for.
One of the sillier posts of the 24 pages posted tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2: Richmond vs Collingwood - Changes for Adelaide

Back