Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Ledger definitely in and one of Simpkin, Winmar and Newnes in as well. I'd predict Wilkes won't play as there is no need for another key forward and Wilkes has been playing up forward.

Armitage, Ledger, Simpkin Sub: Newnes?

Emergency: Ray, Winmar, Wilkes

Ledger has to be a definite, hope armitage improves on last week and starts producing what we all know (hope) he do.

The last 2 spots I would of thought would be Wilkes/Simpkin then Ray/Newnes/Winmar as the sub. Would like to see simpkin given a shot and hope Newnes/Winmar (at least) get that sub spot to see what they can do, cause we all saw what Ray did as the sub last week.

Good to see a few more youngsters included in the squad and Milera upgraded to a starting spot in the 18. Surely Ledger has to make the cut and it would be nice to see at least one or two of Simpkin, Newnes and Winmar get a chance.

Got a feeling they will stick with Armitage since he is an inside, contested ball winner which we are lacking in but he would want to increase his output from last week. Hard to see a spot for Wilkes unless there are late withdrawals and I don't think Ray did enough as sub last week to keep his spot.

A bench of Armitage, Ledger, Simpkin, Newnes/Winmar would be my preference.

Interesting fazzy ray didnt get dropped this week, but non the less obviously he had a good week at training and scotty thinks he'll play well. Looking at the teams, i think we cn take advantages in most areas of the ground, Milera had a great debut, hopefully he ca follow through and do well once again in his first back-to-back matches in the AFL.

Stanley up in the forward right pocket is a good move, he's got a wopping 22cm height advantage on his opponent Jarrod Harbrow so he should being looking for some balls being kicked in high to him, hopefully he can kick 2-3 goals and play his part in the ruck.

A few more youngens coming in this week with Simpkin, ledger, Newnes and winmar which should add some pace. Ledger deserves his spot this week after being a late withdrawal last week, Simpkin, cant wait (no more needs to be said), Newnes, personally dont no alot, anything to be honest about this fella but good luck for him and ill be interested to see how he goes, and nick winmar, hopefully he can get in among the action with a goal or two.

Should be a realtivley easy game but we don't have all our defenders in top shape with gram and gwilt out (as we all know). I persoanlly would like to see Stanley trying to mark and goal a bit with kosi in the ruck (maybe a 70/30 cut with 70% to kosi, keeping in mind i mean for the forward line, obviously Macca takes the majority). I'd like to see Roo play deep and kick 4-5 but hes listed as half forward in which last week he did kick 2 goals and have some nice disposals but if im honest didn't have too much impact on the game as in previous times.

I can sense a big match for goddard and J steven and hopefully we can get another victim for the "Dempstered files" this week.

Goals: Roo 4, Milne 3, Kosi 2, Milera 2, Stanley 2, Goddard, Dal Santo, Steven, Fisher (you never know =P)

Saints by 45

Gotta remember pretty much the entire coaching panel haven't seen much of our list in action, so i don't mind some surprise call ups so they can gage where out players are at. But Newnes the bolter!

FYI, Newnes is the Tommy Walsh pick.

Adding both Simpkin and Wilkes to the 22 makes us wayyy to slow, especially against GC. Considering our back line woes, and Wilkes playing his best footy up forward, I'd hope Tom gets the nod.

Given one of the main complaints about last weekend (other than the umpiring) was the contested ball, Newnes might very well get a shot this week. He and Ledge are the best candidates in that category by quite a distance, although Winmar may come in as a direct replacement for Peake.

Don't see Wilkes or Simpkin coming in unless another tall comes out. Could be good experience for Simpkin to come in while Blake gets a rest.

If we are up to it this season we ought to smash this mob and shut Ablett out of most of the game. Anything less than a 10+ goal thumping (especially considering no Bock in their backline) will be a disappointment. C'mon Mr.Watters let the stars shine. No mercy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Ledger definitely in and one of Simpkin, Winmar and Newnes in as well. I'd predict Wilkes won't play as there is no need for another key forward and Wilkes has been playing up forward.

If true I hope they play him in the Sandringham team Sunday afternoon. Its best if our list actually get to play some footy.

saints are on thin ice atm last weeks forth quarter i could of swore i was watching Melbourne,
they all just literally gave up it was sad to see

I don't think we gave up, we fought hard in the 4th quarter to get back within a goal and our defence was desperate as well with a number of smothers and one percenters. All the players were pretty tired by that stage though, our shit pre-season wouldn't have helped in that department. We really needed to be in front at three quarter time with a handy lead given we were going to run out of legs.

The real problem was our first quarter, we weren't switched on at all and we couldn't win a ruck clearance to save ourselves. Port slammed on about 5 goals to nothing before we knew it and from that point on we were behind the eight ball and playing catch up, which is especially difficult when you're playing interstate and you're getting shafted by the hometown umpires.

Good to see a few more youngsters included in the squad and Milera upgraded to a starting spot in the 18. Surely Ledger has to make the cut and it would be nice to see at least one or two of Simpkin, Newnes and Winmar get a chance.

Got a feeling they will stick with Armitage since he is an inside, contested ball winner which we are lacking in but he would want to increase his output from last week. Hard to see a spot for Wilkes unless there are late withdrawals and I don't think Ray did enough as sub last week to keep his spot.

A bench of Armitage, Ledger, Simpkin, Newnes/Winmar would be my preference.

Do you think the younger brigade will get many games this season? I was impressed with Milera as a youngster against Port. I was hoping you guys would come back and roll them. I'm one for using youngsters to get game time alongside the older experienced veterans before they retire or start missing too many games. A chance for a fresh start and building the team back up.

Disappointing to see we somehow drew the short straw and ended up with umpire #19 again this week. Maybe because it's in Melbourne Milne can be awarded the mark in exactly in the same situation?

A lovely pairing with Wenn (#22) who was _ucking atrocious in the practice match against the filth. Hopefully Sammy Fish can be awarded a mark this time for merely holding his ground, and players won't be penalised for a deliberate behind just because of walking back to take their kick after a mark!

Poor start Spencer6666.

Nobody is expecting our fans to blindly support the players when they perform as poorly as they did on Sunday but your opening two posts have been terrible.

We're watching. :)

i remember last season when everyone else was smashing them and then we went there and almost got rolled.

Lyon's high-possession game plan (and our relative weakness in the ruck and Roo/Kosi not being that fantastic with ground balls) led to struggles pretty much every time we encountered greasy conditions. Hopefully Watters can bring a more flexible game plan to the table (to suit both the opposition and the conditions). I was hoping that he'd focus on ensuring that we used guys when they showed form (rather than role/structure players), but bringing Ray in wasn't a good start (making him sub was even worse).

i remember last season when everyone else was smashing them and then we went there and almost got rolled.

With no Bock, I'd be tempted to play Wilkes and try him in the forward line.

Key difference also being GC were smashed rounds 1&2 and then we trundle along at a leisurely round 19 and many expected the same thing because heaven forbid teams don't gel over 17 rounds of football including a mid season break. Because damnit we're storming home so where's that 90-140 point margin already?

I mean shit, look at the ladder and percentages after round #1;

1st vs GWS : 270+
2nd vs GC: 200+

Next best was a 50 point differential. You're not going to see these same things at the end of the season because people are going to be buggered, holes plugged and wins ground out as feet & fitness are found, yet you can be sure that come round 10 there'll still be supporters going "well GWS only kicked 37 points in round 1, fire the lot of them since we gave up 10 goals" despite the win still being around the 10 goal mark.

Patrick Keane on Twitter..

Final Sun teams StK v GC; Bench; Ledger, Newnes, Armitage, Simpkin. Em; Ray, Wilkes, Winmar. Simpkin, Newnes, Ledger in for Ray, Peake, Polo

Fresh. :thumbsu:

B: Jarryn Geary, Sam Gilbert, Jason Blake
HB: Jamie Cripps, Sam Fisher, Sean Dempster
C: Nick Dal Santo, Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard
HF: Jack Steven, Nick Riewoldt, Terry Milera
F: Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Rhys Stanley
R: Ben McEvoy, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
I: Tom Simpkin, David Armitage, Tom Ledger, Jack Newnes

EMG: Farren Ray, Beau Wilkes, Nick Winmar

6 players with less than 10 games experience
10 under 54

Patrick Keane on Twitter..

Final Sun teams StK v GC; Bench; Ledger, Newnes, Armitage, Simpkin. Em; Ray, Wilkes, Winmar. Simpkin, Newnes, Ledger in for Ray, Peake, Polo

Fresh. :thumbsu:

I really like that. There's an argument for Wilkes->Kosi but this is still pretty good.

Wonder if the team is young enough for people now & enough kids being played!

Newnes – 0
Milera – 1
Simpkin – 2
Ledger – 2
Cripps – 5
Stanley – 10

Then theres these guys under 54 games.

Steven – 31
Armitage – 51
Geary – 53
McEvoy – 54

Thats 10 of 22 that have less then 54 games experience :eek: