Toast Round 21 = Melbourne 89-96 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

65 to 41 inside 50s.
52 to 32 clearances.
162 to 138 contested possessions.

No wonder Melbourne won.

Honestly that has to be one of the greatest and bravest performances by a team well beaten in key areas.

We had no damn right and yet we still did.

Amazing.
How many dee contested possessions were handballs? They had around 100 more than us across the game, so I imagine quite a few. Clearances the big one and our backline done well to hold up.

Those saying we were smashed all game. It's not true. We were a bit fortunate in the first half when they missed some shots.

The second half however was a genuine turnaround. Contested possessions dead even after being -22 in the first half. Clearances -5 after -15 in the first half.

Our pressure, defence and general ball movement was better all night. Once we evened it up around the contest we definitively outplayed them in a 7 of 8 goal run.

Against the reigning premiers a turnaround like that takes some doing. Our forward line performed brilliantly against supposedly one of the best defences. Believe I heard May and Lever took 0 marks in defensive 50?
im not sure if people could see on the tv, but from at the game we totally changed our field positioning in the second half
in the first half we always had players wide on both sides of the ground trying to spread them and move it up the lines with a switch play
in the second half we didnt even have players spreading wide , it was just a phallanx through the middle
totally changed the game and a real credit to the coaches

A warm embrace between player and coach. A beautiful sight.

985497.jpg

I understand his point, like sure the playing group been solid for his whole tenure.

But it’s taken a real coach to bring the best out of them and maximise talent.

We underachieved in Buckleys decade. Pert expected premierships between 2014-17. He even said it before he got sacked - they gave Buckley everything he could possibly need to succeed.

All the things we do now in tight games we never did under Buckley. It cost us in 2018 and 2019z

Yet It’s a skill and a strength the playing group has acquired under Fly and he’s not even 12 months in.

In close games used to be:

• unaccountable at the stoppage
  • concede Coast to coast goals
  • concede easy red time goals
  • never lock the game down in last 5 mins
  • never understood we should defend the lead rather than try to extend the lead
  • run around like headless chooks in red time
  • never understand how to win
  • never get physical (like we did vs Langdon or Jake King etc)
  • never embrace people with personality
  • played without personality

Maynard quoted in the paper in 2018 saying “we never had a gameplan until Longmuire came in” Etc etc etc

Fly has fixed all that in one preseason. And he’s missed JDG Adams Grundy and other key players over the year - yet the TEAM still gets better.

There is no way in hell this TEAM is one win vs WCE away from outright top of the ladder if Buckley remains coach in 2022.

It’s a bottom 6 team under Nathan. It’s a top 2 team under Fly.

There simply is no debate to be had. Buckley is not a great coach. No other club wants him. He’s just a great analyst that can’t teach young men how to maximise talent for the overall benefit of the team

And comments like “the nucleus was there for 5 years” just shows why he has the nickname FIGJAM. He legitimately thinks he is a quality coach. He ain’t anywhere near Flys level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brutal. But seemingly accurate for the most part. We have a small sample size under Fly this year compared to Bucks tenure, but its hard to dispute that Fly has exceeded the absolute maximum that Bucks could've gotten out of this group, this year.

Outside of this year, it will be unfair to make comparisons between what each coach "could" have done.

I feel like we are in a unique situation this year where the pieces of the coaching picture have come together at exactly the right time to get this response from the players, a year earlier or later and maybe Leppa or Bolton is not there and giving the support Fly needs, or that one little spark that has given the team courage might not have taken hold. In saying that, maybe the spark is ALL Fly and his ability to inspire with "Exciting, attacking Football" rather than "Structure, out-grunting, and self motivation".

As much as I love Bucks, he is going to be an interesting watch as we approach finals. He no doubt loves the club and wants us to do well. But he would have to be feeling a growing sense of unease or embarrassment that his replacement is getting rave reviews and is pressing a serious case to be a contender with some beautiful football, and stunning, statistically improbable results.

He knows his footy, but he probably should not have been put onto every damn Collingwood game. He has been good at times, but hard to watch at times on Kayo, and that comment tonight was cringeworthy. Even though that nucleus HAS been there for 5 years, you just don't piggy back off that, and it invites the question of "what happened last year, and the year before that..."

That was a game worthy of a Grand Final. Still on a high, so sleeping will be very difficult....
Love the game of Billy Elliott, who is flying at the moment in all aspects of his game, from kicking goals to his high pressure tackling in our F50, which was the highlight tonight. Need to re-sign him ASAP, and we/he will.
Ash Johnson, oh boy what a player he has the potential to be. Just looks class, and makes the game look easy. I think we will see regular occurrences of 2 to 3 goals a game, with a 4 or 5 goal game thrown in a few times throughout a season.
DeGoey to me was close to BOG. Just showed how important he is too us, with his clearance work at centre bounce, and his power through tackles at contested ball situations, Very, very good tonight.
N Daicos l thought was very good, intercept possessions again at a high level, and used the footy beautifully.
Crispy very good as well, along with our back six, lead by Bruzzy Maynard. Two huge tackles, with the one on Langers at the start, setting the tone for the game. Full credit to Coxy and his second half. I thought he stuck close to Gawn and Johnson whilst rucking in that second half, to stem their influence.....
Pendles just never ceases to amaze me. Is playing great footy at 34 years of age, and his influence through the middle, particularly with a couple of passes into our F50, were just sublime. Absolute legend of our club and the game.
All in all, an unbelievable performance particularly to win 11 in a row, and be 2nd on the AFL ladder, wow. Absolutely love this football club!!!

Last edited:
How many dee contested possessions were handballs? They had around 100 more than us across the game, so I imagine quite a few. Clearances the big one and our backline done well to hold up.
Their forward line is crap, so when the game slows down and they're not rifling it in, they're ordinary, but some of their centre clearances are just another level.

Brutal. But seemingly accurate for the most part. We have a small sample size under Fly this year compared to Bucks tenure, but its hard to dispute that Fly has exceeded the absolute maximum that Bucks could've gotten out of this group, this year.

Outside of this year, it will be unfair to make comparisons between what each coach "could" have done.

I feel like we are in a unique situation this year where the pieces of the coaching picture have come together at exactly the right time to get this response from the players, a year earlier or later and maybe Leppa or Bolton is not there and giving the support Fly needs, or that one little spark that has given the team courage might not have taken hold. In saying that, maybe the spark is ALL Fly and his ability to inspire with "Exciting, attacking Football" rather than "Structure, out-grunting, and self motivation".

As much as I love Bucks, he is going to be an interesting watch as we approach finals. He no doubt loves the club and wants us to do well. But he would have to be feeling a growing sense of unease or embarrassment that his replacement is getting rave reviews and is pressing a serious case to be a contender with some beautiful football, and stunning, statistically improbable results.

He knows his footy, but he probably should not have been put onto every damn Collingwood game. He has been good at times, but hard to watch at times on Kayo, and that comment tonight was cringeworthy. Even though that nucleus HAS been there for 5 years, you just don't piggy back off that, and it invites the question of "what happened last year, and the year before that..."
I think it's a credit to Buckley leaving the list in such good shape considering the Gubby Wells Beams fiasco of aging injured players on bloated contracts, hard calls were made after we threw everything at a flag, and only a non decision by a WA umpire stopped him from being a premiership coach, he'd be thrilled his hard work hasn't gone to waste
McRae didn't have to start from scratch like most rebuilds of a 17th placed team would

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their forward line is crap, so when the game slows down and they're not rifling it in, they're ordinary, but some of their centre clearances are just another level.
Agree. Watching tonight it was clear why we have a good record against them.

As long as we keep pressure on their mids, their big disposal numbers aren't going to help them much. Our defence is strong enough to hold off their fairly average forwards even when their entry numbers are high.

Then, even though their defence is highly rated, it's not so great if you get the ball in quick. Like most defences.

One of our preferred teams to face in finals. With Grundy and Adams playing I'd be confident against them.

Agree. Watching tonight it was clear why we have a good record against them.

As long as we keep pressure on their mids, their big disposal numbers aren't going to help them much. Our defence is strong enough to hold off their fairly average forwards even when their entry numbers are high.

Then, even though their defence is highly rated, it's not so great if you get the ball in quick. Like most defences.

One of our preferred teams to face in finals. With Grundy and Adams playing I'd be confident against them.
They're very good. I don't want to face them in the finals. I'd love them to be on the other half to us, and Cats take them out.

I think it's a credit to Buckley leaving the list in such good shape considering the Gubby Wells Beams fiasco of aging injured players on bloated contracts, hard calls were made after we threw everything at a flag, and only a non decision by a WA umpire stopped him from being a premiership coach, he'd be thrilled his hard work hasn't gone to waste
McRae didn't have to start from scratch like most rebuilds of a 17th placed team would

In hindsight the list looks in good shape, but that was nobody’s assessment and true belief at the mid to end of last year. Even the players seemingly believed we were rubbish based on the crap that was dished up last year.

The optimists could rightly point to that senior core to say we can still do ok this year, they would not have considered what we’ve got from Ginny, Ash, Henry, Beau, Carmichael in those critical moments, even Nick has exceeded even our wildest hopes. They are playing inspired footy. 2018 excepted, we so rarely saw inspired footy from anyone let alone most of the team under Bucks. It was dour.

This year the older stars are still there, but there a fair chance they were stars regardless of Bucks’ tenure. So that’s list management, not coaching.

Our good players are still good, but they are better under Fly. Our inexperienced players are seemingly enabled better to succeed this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Melbourne 89-96 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back