Preview Round 21 The Sydney Swans vs The Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Aus eBloke said:
Hudson won't ruck the entire game, who pinch-hits for the Dogs?

Everitt will go up as the main backup, with Tom Williams providing a bit of a chop out occasionally. Hall will probably take all the forward line ruck contests.

EDIT - Just remembered Everitt is on the emergencies. Wouldn't be surprised with a late change to bring in one of either Everitt or Roughead.

Some Potential Matchups:

White vs Lake (if he is a late withdrawal Williams will get Jesse)
TDL vs Gilbee
Jetta vs Harbrow
Rohan vs Hargrave
Goodes vs Morris (when Goodesy is forward)
Bevan vs Murphy (don't think this will happen but would like to see Bevo play the defensive forward role on Murphy who is very dangerous with time and space off HB)

Goodes vs ?? (not sure about his midfield matchup)
Kirk vs Cross
Bolton vs Boyd
Jack vs Cooney
McVeigh vs Picken
Ward vs Hannebery (i think McVeigh and Hanners will get tagged by these 2 one way or the other)
ROK vs Griffen (ROK to continue his solid run with form)

Grundy vs Hall
Richards vs Jones
Mattner vs Grant
Bevan vs Hahn (concerned very much about Hahn, hasn't played in the AFL much lately but he often plays well against us and played really well last week, should be too big and strong for Bevo if isolated)
Shaw vs Eagleton (battle of the balds)
Smith vs Giansiracusa

On Hahn AgentS120, they used to say that he was the Doggies barometer, I'm not still sure this is the case. Perhaps now it's Gia? No doubt a BigFooty Dogs body can tell us if so, and on the Hahn matchup, maybe Kennedy is a possibility?

Yeh i dunno, Baz. He hasn't been too in favour lately at the selection table but i can remember him playing well against us numerous times over the last few years. Doubt Kennedy will be the man for him, as Hahn will surely be playing up forward. I agree that Gia is one of their most important players though. Smith to get him and shut him down like last time.

This is where the absences of Craig/LRT may really bite us on the backside, as the Dogs have quite a few strong talls up forward; Baz, Jones, Grant and Hahn are all either tall or play tall. Mattner is going to have to play on one of them and unless Roosy throws Rohan down back as a bit of cover (he has the height) it looks like Bevo or Tadhg might have to step up on one of them.

Let's hope the SCG does its magic and the short dimensions make a few of the opposition forwards disappear.

This is where the absences of Craig/LRT may really bite us on the backside, as the Dogs have quite a few strong talls up forward; Baz, Jones, Grant and Hahn are all either tall or play tall. Mattner is going to have to play on one of them and unless Roosy throws Rohan down back as a bit of cover (he has the height) it looks like Bevo or Tadhg might have to step up on one of them.

If there is some sort of change tomorrow i hope Reid comes in because like you said the Bulldogs do have quite a few very good tall forwards and with only Grundy and Richards we are a bit weak when it comes to tall defenders.

Yeh i dunno, Baz. He hasn't been too in favour lately at the selection table but i can remember him playing well against us numerous times over the last few years. Doubt Kennedy will be the man for him, as Hahn will surely be playing up forward. I agree that Gia is one of their most important players though. Smith to get him and shut him down like last time.

Let's hope the SCG does its magic and the short dimensions make a few of the opposition forwards disappear.

Yes, Kennedy is more than likely to be forward of the ball, but I think his game can add to us down back more than others.
I think the use of Rohan The Red will be quite interesting in this game. Height, pace and kamikaze, a nice injection that, so late in the season.

On Hahn AgentS120, they used to say that he was the Doggies barometer, I'm not still sure this is the case. Perhaps now it's Gia? No doubt a BigFooty Dogs body can tell us if so, and on the Hahn matchup, maybe Kennedy is a possibility?

Hahn has played a minimal role this year and was thrown down back for a few games before he was injured. Most on the WB board believe the game has gone past Mitch.

Hudson is a huge in for us this week. I would say he is the real heart and soul of the team these days with his tackling and clearance work. Daniel Cross is not far behind him in this category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WE HAVE TO WIN THIS
i dont want a half ass effort we have to stand tall when the going gets though i want heads over the ball and kicking truly ROOS & KIRK deserve this

I would expect nothing close to a half arse effort at this time of the season. We'll win tonight - we know the guys stand up when the going REALLY gets tough. We'll out enthuse them tonight. As long as the execution hits the spot we'll be cool.

Of all the games in the season I hope we put the most effort into this one with all the build up the boys must show we can push for years to come after the Roos/Kirk Era.

I would expect nothing close to a half arse effort at this time of the season. We'll win tonight - we know the guys stand up when the going REALLY gets tough. We'll out enthuse them tonight. As long as the execution hits the spot we'll be cool.
I haven't felt very confident of beating the Dogs in years, but tonight feels different. Plus, TBH I don't think the Bulldogs have that much to play for this evening; they're already in the top 4 and can't miss basically, so in part it's more about injury management and preparation for them, whereas we obviously have heaps to play for.

Heading off now to the game. Been a lovely day and should be a great night. Baz will struggle to win the Coleman now. I predict a narrow win to the Swans.

Massive game now, considering we can get 5th spot of we win.

If Carlton win and Hawthorn lose and we win both games we have 5th spot!

Cmon boys some extra incentive always helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 21 The Sydney Swans vs The Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back