Game Day Round 23 vs. Brisbane, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 17/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iā€™m not surprised he has high disposal efficiency given how much time he takes to stop, prop, paint the kids bedroom, evaluate next option and kick. Heā€™d wanna make the right call.
Sadly, he takes too long, the oppo run back and he misses the fat side opportunity of tearing it up into open spaces for a good avenue to goal.

I always thought the fat side was the team I was playing on?

Thatā€™s when he takes an uncontested mark? Yeah.

My main knock on Bytel is he never wins the football. When the footy goes out to the wing for a 1:1 contest Iā€™m hoping he can somehow get the ball over the boundary to neutralise the contest - because he doesnā€™t seem able to win them.

My main knock on Bytel is he never wins the football. When the footy goes out to the wing for a 1:1 contest Iā€™m hoping he can somehow get the ball over the boundary to neutralise the contest - because he doesnā€™t seem able to win them.
Yep happened in the last quarter against Swans. I remember shouting at the TV when he didn't win a 1:1

Bytel is playing his role being on the "fat side" of the ground. Basically one winger is regularly in the play getting possessions (thin side) while the other has to guard space and run all game playing defensively (fat side). Sidebottom last year talked about how he was at the point of his career where he was happy to sacrifice his game playing the fat side so Josh Daicos could shine.

This was an interesting point because in the finals it was Sidey that was involved in all the play. Whereas, Josh was stuck on the fat side wing throughout September. Could never forget the bath that Sidey gave Langdon in the QF.

I have spoken to many fellow Pies supporters this week.
Several have expressed the position that they don't want us to make finals, to maximise the chances of a good draft pick.
I totally disagree.
I am on the finals bandwagon.
Just get there.
The courage, determination, effort this would engender would be massive.
We can't win the flag without JDG, Mitchell and Checkers.
But just playing in the finals, and maybe snaring a win - given the mental strength of this team - would be huge for next year.
Go Pies.

We aren't playing finals.

Several have expressed the position that they don't want us to make finals, to maximise the chances of a good draft pick.

Unfortunately, this is a damn fine reason why we typically trade out as many future picks as we can.

It removes any temptation for us to tank.

Tanking is for losers. It fosters a loser culture.

Collingwood are winners.

Winning culture > moving up the draft by a few places.

šŸ’Æ
Uncontested mark leading to congestion upfield.
The opportunity cost of having a more dynamic player in this role is enormous.
Think prime Ed Langdon or Sidey.

šŸ’Æ
Uncontested mark leading to congestion upfield.
The opportunity cost of having a more dynamic player in this role is enormous.
Think prime Ed Langdon or Sidey.
That's kind of the point. A prime Ed Langdon or Sidey would be wasted playing a defensive role on that side of the ground. It's no coincidence that nearly all AFL teams have only one elite winger playing 90% game time and various role players rotating on the other wing. If you had two elite wingers in their prime one would be moved to a more impactful position.

This was an interesting point because in the finals it was Sidey that was involved in all the play. Whereas, Josh was stuck on the fat side wing throughout September. Could never forget the bath that Sidey gave Langdon in the QF.
If I was to have a guess, like last week, Sidey has shown that he can have a negating role and still hurt the opposition the other way. Not sure if J Daicos can do the same, or if they want him to.

You're not alone. Bytel cops a lot of criticism on here and to be fair, he sprayed it a bit in his first couple of games. But now he's playing his role and lifted his disposal efficiency when he gets it (77%). He is also only 24 so it's pretty harsh for people to call him a list clogger when he's been improving throughout the year.
He's also in an age bracket that we're light on for players.
We can't expect guys like him and Long to be world beaters, but both seem to be growing into their roles well, which is about as much as you can expect from players we pick up in the MSD.
There's also the factor that they haven't had a full preseason to learn our game plan.

From Collingwoodā€™s POV there are only two there that are potentially as a result of an upgrade ā€¦

Noble is an upgrade on Markov.

Shultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan (I know this is contentious, but I reckon the club would be a lot happier with Shultzā€™s forward defensive efforts than they were with Ginnivan)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Collingwoodā€™s POV there are only two there that are potentially as a result of an upgrade ā€¦

Noble is an upgrade on Markov.

Shultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan (I know this is contentious, but I reckon the club would be a lot happier with Shultzā€™s forward defensive efforts than they were with Ginnivan)
Ginni was missing last year as well šŸ˜‚

Unfortunately, this is a damn fine reason why we typically trade out as many future picks as we can.

It removes any temptation for us to tank.

Tanking is for losers. It fosters a loser culture.

Collingwood are winners.

Winning culture > moving up the draft by a few places.
Hawthorn kept their picks
They went to the draft and were patient

Theyā€™ve bottomed out and now their probably set for another dynasty
This is what they do hawthorn
They build up with draft picks then cherry pick which is what they did from 2008-2015 four premierships later

They build up with draft picks then cherry pick which is what they did from 2008-2015 four premierships later
True but it doesn't always work out this way. GWS, Suns cases in point.
Hawks may win one or more and yet may do nothing as well.
The past is just that...

DGB says hi. They arenā€™t perfect and have made plenty of mistakes to. Omeara, wingard trades as further examples

Iā€™m not surprised he has high disposal efficiency given how much time he takes to stop, prop, paint the kids bedroom, evaluate next option and kick. Heā€™d wanna make the right call.
Sadly, he takes too long, the oppo run back and he misses the fat side opportunity of tearing it up into open spaces for a good avenue to goal.

I always thought the fat side was the team I was playing on?
That was our whole team in 2020 and 2021. Might be fixable. Might just lack the confidence at the moment to wheel and go.

Pretty conservative with team selection, with just the one change being made. A lot will be treating this as a dead rubber, but we're still mathematically a chance of playing finals so we shouldn't be giving up yet.

The optimist in me says we're still a chance to play finals so we need to give it out all today. This match and the Giants vs Freo match (hoping for Freo to lose) are defining games.

Our form in the past few weeks has been better compared to what we produced over the 4-game losing streak, but question is will it be enough to get us over the line?

Let's see if we have one last big effort in us this week, form hasn't been too bad but have missed opportunities to put the foot on the opposition's throat when we're on top earlier in the game and haven't been able to sustain the rage in the last quarter.

Hopefully the table has already been set by the Giants beating Freo in the early game this afternoon to keep that tiny sliver of hope alive.

Hawthorn are 8th. Hawthorn have done nothing. It's easy to go from the bottom rungs to mid table. They haven't achieved shit yet. Teams will figure them out like they've done with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back