Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you but this has been a major issue for years! We missed finals in 2016 because of poor conversion - yet we still persist with whatever haphazard method they've adopted like they expect things to change.

We're very young and richo shouldn't be judged on losses to the elite sides but when we're losing because of the same errors that have plagued us for three seasons or more then questions need to be asked!

Side note: armitage being picked over Steele is an all time great WTF moment
I agree with you mate. Definitely ask questions. I'm responding more to the comments about lack of effort. Because effort was there tonight. We just butcher the ball.

It seriously feels like 06/07 Ross Lyon days before we got good. Just plain shithouse football.

Not sure what's more infuriating:

- Our kicking for goal
- The only serious forward 50 lead we give (and honour) is one heading to the pocket 45m out
- That our forward movement lives and dies on the ability of our target forward to take a contested mark when Bruce and McCartin seem to have completely dropped their ability to stick an elementary mark.

I don't rate Kingsley either, he was our forward coach for a while and our forward line is f***ed.

I'll put my hand up as coach, I know f*** all about tactics but I'd be a f***ing great motivator, I'd pump Tool's Aenima through the speakers at training.

Team meetings I would make them watch Mad Max Fury Road every time.

Might help them to harden the f*** up.

Like it, but I would go with Lateralus personally

Game plan is terrible, our ball movement is stagnate which does give our forwards a chance. You can see the confidence is shot; some of our best ball users (Sinclair, Billings, Roberton, Ross) look so hesitant and don’t play on instinct like they would at their bests.

Membrey out was massive as Wright gave us nothing so we really missed a mobile marking target. I really do believe Bruce and McCartin can be quality KPF’s but they need the forward 50 entries to play to their strengths. Bruce is a lead up forward who needs to come at the footy whilst McCartin is better isolated deep.. doesn’t take a genius to work out how to kick these blokes the ball.

Armitage needs to go; Jack Steele in. Our midfield is so vanilla now it hurts. Acres, Gresham, Dunstan, Steele all need to be given serious on ball time so that we look more dynamic then the standard Steven, Ross, Armo.

is that what we are doing now george? moving past what we wanted last week and trying to re-adjust expectation after the fact to minimise how bad it was?

since last weekend all we have heard is that the club wanted to respond in action and show fans what theyre really about. talk was cheap. they needed to respond.

what we got was 1 half of competitive football. they gave up in the 3rd qtr.

1 half of football does not eradicate last weekends effort and if theyre going to capitulate in the 3rd after that then we have bigger issues than any positives we can scramble out of this game.

That was a weak Adelaide side too on our home deck. Put the Crouch bros & Brodie Smith in, it would get real ugly

I agree with you mate. Definitely ask questions. I'm responding more to the comments about lack of effort. Because effort was there tonight. We just butcher the ball.

was it? was got smashed in the tackle count. even in big losses that doesnt happen. last time it did was against essendon, before that geelong.

essendon is the game where we all thought we didnt put in, to the point there were rumours the players had the flu.

if contested possession tells you we put in effort, then how do we explain the brisbane game where we got beaten in there. yet we won and i reckon we put the effort in.

so the big question going into this game was would the saints back up their words with action. how do people feel?

after so much heat put on them by the coach publicly and the stance that we just need to back it up. did we do it?
Absolutely, but not for long enough, and it was the exact same thing we've seen so many times in the last year or two that I'd say was the main cause of that, and that was that we tried our guts out for about a half, only to squander most of our opportunities to kick goals while we were on top of general play, and then when the other team have their go of being on top, they don't squander theirs, and then our heads drop and our effort drops away (because what's the point in busting a gut if all it's going to amount to is points, rather than goals) and before you know it we're 40 points down and it's game over.

We've seen it so many times over the last couple of years now and it's really hard to know how to fix it, as we've gone out and gotten Dixon and apparently done a power of work on it over the offseason, but so far it's as bad as ever and it must just be so demoralising for the team.

We're basically the Ian Baker-Finch of footy. We have the yips and it makes it bloody hard to kick a winning score, especially against good teams and it would surely be causing our overall confidence in our ability to play to take a hit.

Leaving us a very young and inexperienced team, who are low on confidence and skill, who have the yips to boot, plus a questionable game-plan that they might not have the skill or confidence to execute!

So wait. We have some on here that want him to show a bit of mongrel in regards to the addressing the playing group and when he does he has lost it?
Seriously that just doesn't surprise me at all.

There is no winning with the bunch of sooks on here. Quite a few positives tonight. ie. disposal our single biggest issue, and we brought in Coffield who is composed with excellent foot skills, white who I already like kicking in instead of Webster, and Marshall who kicks the ball 1000% better than Longer (and more often).

I am in the doghouse for teaching the 9yo all sorts of new words with my frustration at disposal and umpires (couldn't get to game tonight so watched on TV), but appreciate people there was effort, there was intent to move the ball tonight, there was intent to move it inside the corridor where possible.

We did so many of the things you guys were seeking after last week, except good execution and composure.

Anyway, I hate the sooking on here, you guys win, as a collective you really are good at dragging everyone down. I'm done with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all doom and gloom from my perspective.

Last week was so bad I was shocked and angry.

This week was just frustrating.

I expected to lose but the fact we were in it for the first half and would have went in ahead for poor kicking for goal and some dumb decision making (e.g Marshall having a shot on the run when he could have passed it off and we run in for an easy goal - just one example I was overall really pleased with his game). These things for me killed any momentum and sucked the life out of the crowd and the players and the writing was on the wall.

I really felt at the start the players were up for it, playing for each other and the coach and determined to make amends but we were undone by poor skills and the 3rd Q was another inexcusably bad performance.

Gut feel for me is that we have the players with potential to lift and become a force but we need more development and games into them.

The coach has failed for me, if we were a business (we are a business?) then we have not met our KPIs and so we need a new leader and direction. I really like Richo and think he seems like a great guy but he is uninspiring and pissing away the talent we have on that list.

The road to 2020 is done - we all knew this deep down I reckon. So that didn’t work out and we need a mini rebuild to slingshot us back up or just getting games into our potential stars. Once guys like Coffield, Clark etc.. are pushing the 50 game mark, that core of Acres, Billings Gresham, Dunstan et al are reaching the 100 game + mark. Hopefully guys like Steven and Carlisle can still produce then too.

Positives:
- Loved Coff’s game
- Marshall offered a lot and will only get better
- McCartin was in and out of the game but he is getting a little better every week and that is all we can hope for - genuinely feel we saw glimpses of the powerful brute he will become and when our crumbers click they will get a good feed from Paddy.

Absolutely, but not for long enough, and it was the exact same thing we've seen so many times in the last year or two that I'd say was the main cause of that, and that was that we tried our guts out for about a half, only to squander most of our opportunities to kick goals while we were on top of general play, and then when the other team have their go of being on top, they don't squander theirs, and then our heads drop and our effort drops away (because what's the point in busting a gut if all it's going to amount to is points, rather than goals) and before you know it we're 40 points down and it's game over.

We've seen it so many times over the last couple of years now and it's really hard to know how to fix it, as we've gone out and gotten Dixon and apparently done a power of work on it over the offseason, but so far it's as bad as ever and it must just be so demoralising for the team.

We're basically the Ian Baker-Finch of footy. We have the yips and it makes it bloody hard to kick a winning score, especially against good teams and it would surely be causing our overall confidence in our ability to play to take a hit.

Leaving us a very young and inexperienced team, who are low on confidence and skill, who have the yips to boot, plus a questionable game-plan that they might not have the skill or confidence to execute!

dermots take on it was we tried our guts out in the first half. but just couldnt capitalise. getting no where. which turns to frustration. he reckons we then just caved in, in the 3rd. started doing stuff you dont do in the first, cause its not working.

Who was it that said the most egregious mistake is to mistake how good the list is?
Without a doubt I'm misquoting, the point remains that we are 15th and 17th for age and experience and we are playing as badly as that, if we finish outside the bottom 4 we have to consider the idea that Richo has done really well with the list we have.

Some of the players that should be showing the way are really letting is down, for Armo there is nothing left, if he can't fight and lead and all he brings is 13 touches, there is no point in him playing. Steele back in.

Bruce, Brown and Roberton are question marks. All over rated but how badly do we need their on field input? Do they even have any?
Whatever happens we need to establish selection integrity, clear parameters about the effort needed, players promoted or dropped accordingly, no more free rides given for a select few.

At the end of the season it will be time to do a review and find out exactly what we need to go forward, and do it.

People get excited if McCartin makes a few contests. It seems our expectations have now dropped pretty low.
Lets be honest he is absolutely useless when the ball hits the ground and he is a witches hat when the opposition have the ball. He provides zero pressure for stopping the opposition run it out of defence.
So to compensate for that he needs to be an elite mark and kick. He is clearly and obviously neither.
I'd like to see your second efforts after you cover 10 k's and your only reward is getting the ball either kicked over your head, grubbed at your feet, kicked to the wrong target, or bombed to a pack where you get smashed by every dud who has to deal with the dissapointment they are a defender. Give the campaigner a break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back