Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Our list isn't up to it IMO.
Reality finally whacked me in the head tonight while I was sitting there watching the game.

At this point of time we have an ordinary list and our skills are even more ordinary.

A few of my Saints mates were saying to me in the 2nd half of last season that "we're just an ordinary side"

I wouldn't accept that......I do now.

Sitting there tonight felt like being back in 2013/2014.

By the end of the third quarter we had 18 scoring shots to 21. I was too drunk by that point to remember the differing amount of pressure those shots were taken under but I'd say that means our system works somewhat.

Execution is killing us. Our ball movement was like a rottweiler trying to bite it's way through a door compared to adelaides slicker transition. They overran us because they could execute consistently. Richo could have the best gameplan in the world but if the players can't deliver the skills required to do it then it's not going to work. He got them to work their arses off and defend like real men, but defending is always easier than attacking. It shits me to tears how bad our skills can be. The recruiting team needs the shakeup, forget this coach sacking shit.

The bombing into the forward line is a result of the boys not being able to work the ball up the ground. We make mistakes from the back pocket all the way to the forward flank. Each mistake puts the next bloke under pressure so the last link in the chain ends up having three blokes around him so his only hope to of hitting a target is the higher percentage blind and long kick. On top of this our mistskes slow our movement so the opposition can get numbers back and defend easier.

ÈThe odd chance we execute our skills we actually get a good look inside the forward 50, but then we butcher the pass. It should get better with experience/better personal. You campaigners have been banging on about getting brandon white in the team because of his better kicking skills but he had 8 turnovers tonight and I'd bet my mums left nut that it was because of the pressure he was under because of his teammates mistakes. It's a team game. TEAM. GAME. Everyone has to execute, not just the bloke kicking inside 50.

Speaking of poor skills I'm sick to death of all of you dim witted warriors calling for our coaches head. He's improved this club every year he's been at the helm. Adam kingsley was a serious candidate for the gold coast job, he must be good. ****ed if I know anything about the other blokes but we got bevo in and then he got poached and coached the dogs to a flag (using a gameplan similar to richos just with a side that could deliver on it her de der de derrrrr!!!!) That's good talent i.d. Doubt they've screwed the rest up.

We've got a new defensive coach and just about all of the coaching roles have been shuffled. Maaaaaybe just maybe the team is having a few teething problems because of this. "But NOOOO richardson is an IDIOT and we need to clear out what we've built and get in Brett Ratten."

Get real blokes.

Mcartin Rules.

He was great in rnd 1 and off the last two..

I think he's not used correctly, imo it's time for more midfield time. We're a 10x better side when he's in space and moving forward

He doesn't like body contact so mid doesn't really suit him. I think we use him well generally but his effort has dropped away. He could play wing but he's a bit slow. I agree we are better wth hi but if he won't play to his best what do we do? Let him coast?

The goal kicking is a puzzle but there are answers.

1. Not many if any of our forwards are reliable shots at goal being a set shot or snap.
2. Poor delivery and slow movement forward allows defence to out number and force us wide where we are taking shots from.
3. Our ball movement breaks down so much in transition the players are fatigued and under pressure when having shots.
4. Poor skilled players having shots eg Newnes has to be the worst shot on goal in the league.
5. Players not having the confidence to play their natural game eg Long had a great game of pressure acts but not getting into dangerous positions to have shots on goal.
6. Poor decision making in the forward 50 eg Gresham being selfish and getting caught then Bruce passing when he should have had a shot.

Its really just the end result of a team that is poorly skilled and lacking stand out leaders.

being up on level 3 gives you a good understanding of the play.

firstly, i think we only had a single set shot in the first half.

I thought our effort to work the ball out of defence was good. But when we go inside it just falls apart.

Got to admit as much as I am worried about the play I’ve seen the last two weeks, under 20,000 for a Saturday night footy game in Melbourne is actually a complete and utter disgrace. That is seriously worrying.
People don't want to watch us play crap football that we lose in. They want to see us play good footy and have a win.

If this keeps up the fans will say "get stuffed, you promised the world and have delivered nothing"

Sat with an adelaide mate and watched the game. What we should do is realise how sh&t we are and just close the club. Everyone says we are sh%t and we perform like sh%it so why not just accept it and go under. Seriously why do we have emotional attachment when the players don't and just accept this garbage.

He doesn't like body contact so mid doesn't really suit him. I think we use him well generally but his effort has dropped away. He could play wing but he's a bit slow. I agree we are better wth hi but if he won't play to his best what do we do? Let him coast?
did not squib it tonight mate. get real.

Sat with an adelaide mate and watched the game. What we should do is realise how sh&t we are and just close the club. Everyone says we are sh%t and we perform like sh%it so why not just accept it and go under. Seriously why do we have emotional attachment when the players don't and just accept this garbage.
Last time I checked, participation is optional.

People don't want to watch us play crap football that we lose in. They want to see us play good footy and have a win.

If this keeps up the fans will say "get stuffed, you promised the world and have delivered nothing"

We have a terrible draw so it might be a bad year for it unfortunately. I reckon there are only another 4 likely wins left this year. We will jag a couple of unexpected ones but they couldn't have made it any harder.

I really hope that wasn't "saints footy"- No bone crunchin tackles, no aggro, no getting in there face, no fight.

I can only imagine the frustration of the players who were excellent in the first half but then moved into a different position.
The starting 22 needs to change NOW.

FB: Rice, Brown, White
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Savage
C: Acres, Steele, Sinclair
HF: Ross, Battle, Billings
FF: Geary, McCartin, Gresh
F: Marshall, Steven, Dunstan

Int: Clark, Paton, Long, Roberton(barely)

Out: Armo, Newnes, Webster, Bruce - Serial offenders need to make way. We will not improve with them.
In: Battle, Clark, Rice, Paton

Geary moved into the defensive forward role. Need a Captain to be leading from up front and providing leadership to the young and out of confidence forwards.
Players being played in the right position.

OK. But he still fumbles or drops marks, has terrible goal kicking technique and is unfit.
He is a big unit. I will give him that.
It's his SECOND GAME in over 8 months. It's called RUST!
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...8Qo7QBCBwwAA&usg=AOvVaw3XsBik1G6IPpZV9QVc6kCl
Don't know how to imbed the video bit look at 1:50 in. You call that a fumble? Once he gets confidence again he will be sweet.

Goddammit I crapped my pants when he went in head first tonight though. He's too scared to get knocked out again. Give him narkles helment.

did not squib it tonight mate. get real.

He didn't but he's not a hard player, no disrespect to him that's not his go. He's our most talented player and should be played where he is because it suits his game. That said he's out of form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the end of the third quarter we had 18 scoring shots to 21. I was too drunk by that point to remember the differing amount of pressure those shots were taken under but I'd say that means our system works somewhat.

Execution is killing us. Our ball movement was like a rottweiler trying to bite it's way through a door compared to adelaides slicker transition. They overran us because they could execute consistently. Richo could have the best gameplan in the world but if the players can't deliver the skills required to do it then it's not going to work. He got them to work their arses off and defend like real men, but defending is always easier than attacking. It shits me to tears how bad our skills can be. The recruiting team needs the shakeup, forget this coach sacking shit.

The bombing into the forward line is a result of the boys not being able to work the ball up the ground. We make mistakes from the back pocket all the way to the forward flank. Each mistake puts the next bloke under pressure so the last link in the chain ends up having three blokes around him so his only hope to of hitting a target is the higher percentage blind and long kick. On top of this our mistskes slow our movement so the opposition can get numbers back and defend easier.

ÈThe odd chance we execute our skills we actually get a good look inside the forward 50, but then we butcher the pass. It should get better with experience/better personal. You campaigners have been banging on about getting brandon white in the team because of his better kicking skills but he had 8 turnovers tonight and I'd bet my mums left nut that it was because of the pressure he was under because of his teammates mistakes. It's a team game. TEAM. GAME. Everyone has to execute, not just the bloke kicking inside 50.

Speaking of poor skills I'm sick to death of all of you dim witted warriors calling for our coaches head. He's improved this club every year he's been at the helm. Adam kingsley was a serious candidate for the gold coast job, he must be good. ****** if I know anything about the other blokes but we got bevo in and then he got poached and coached the dogs to a flag (using a gameplan similar to richos just with a side that could deliver on it her de der de derrrrr!!!!) That's good talent i.d. Doubt they've screwed the rest up.

We've got a new defensive coach and just about all of the coaching roles have been shuffled. Maaaaaybe just maybe the team is having a few teething problems because of this. "But NOOOO richardson is an IDIOT and we need to clear out what we've built and get in Brett Ratten."

Get real blokes.

Mcartin Rules.

Come on mate, open a beer and think tomorrow is another day. You'll be back for the Geelong game, telling yourself Saints can win it :D

It is struggle town at the moment, but sacking the coach gets us nowhere. We shot ourselves in the foot today by messing up our forward entries - in reality we controlled the first half and could have been in a position to win the game. Went to pieces in the 3rd but that's what young sides do.

I thought Armo's head down moment was a game-changer. Took the ball and burrowed into a tackle rather than look to deliver it to someone, caught holding the ball. It was a pathetic moment from him when the game was in the balance and I hope he's dropped for it.

Personally I'd rather Lonie in than Long. Long doesn't look up to the standard to me at this stage and really offers us nothing. Just my opinion of course.

Bringing in Wright was a disastrous and mind-numbing move.

The huge positive was Marshall who showed to St Kilda supporters that yes, a ruckman can lead, mark and kick. It was amazing. Dunstan also showed that he should have played the first two games.

I thought Paddy looked to grow in confidence in that game. Didn't mind his game at all.

Savage's misses were awful but he had a good game. I thought Webster was great again along with Geary (laughable the way some supporters bag those two).

I would have liked to see Billings get his hands a bit dirtier in midfield, couldn't find his way into the game and he's too good for that.

It is amazing to me how much we're still working out our starting 22. No doubt we'll make further changes this week with Steele coming in and maybe a few others. Just shows how unsettled we are as a side.

The way I would mainly describe the game is frustrating. We have a crisis of confidence at the moment and it's just painful to watch. But personally I think if you focus on the coach and think there's some silver bullet waiting to happen by sacking him then you're missing the point by a long way.

It's easy to be disappointed about paddy but he's actually played 3 games without getting concussion. Sure he's done nothing, but you've got to remember how far back he's starting from and I feel like has improved each week . Just keep playing him . He'll be a good (maybe not a star ) but a good player.

Speaking of poor skills I'm sick to death of all of you dim witted warriors calling for our coaches head. He's improved this club every year he's been at the helm. Adam kingsley wasLet's see here. You're a paid employee of the St Kilda FC? One of their Media people? a serious candidate for the gold coast job, he must be good. ****** if I know anything about the other blokes but we got bevo in and then he got poached and coached the dogs to a flag (using a gameplan similar to richos just with a side that could deliver on it her de der de derrrrr!!!!) That's good talent i.d. Doubt they've screwed the rest up.

Get real blokes.

Mcartin Rules.
Alan, blaming the players for not following your dim witted plan is no excuse. You should spend less time on Bigfooty and more time on employment sites.

Billings is the cream type player you want as your finisher, but he has to learn to cope with close checking physical defenders. Its simple he plays well when the team is going well and he can find space.

I see Gresham as very much the same, both have been below there own playing standards this year.

they wore him like a glove. no space.

He wasn't tagged just the defenders at Adelaide don't let you in to space. Gresham and him both could have worked harder but were struggling to do much of any worth.

It's easy to be disappointed about paddy but he's actually played 3 games without getting concussion. Sure he's done nothing, but you've got to remember how far back he's starting from and I feel like has improved each week . Just keep playing him . He'll be a good (maybe not a star ) but a good player.

I reckon the opposite, we will Jack Watts him and break all his confidence. Let him kick a bag or two in the VFL and get his touch going. He's over thinking footy at the moment and trying too hard.

Im gonna put this right out there. We as a supporter base are part of the ****ing problem.

On here, on facebook, everywhere is nothing but a bunch of ****ing softcocks bitching and moaning about how terrible we are and how bad the coach is and blah blah blah. The club cant even post on Facebook Coffield's first goal in what was a great first game for him in what will be a great career without almost. ever. single. ****ing. post bitching about the ****ing team.

You dont think the players dont get effected by it? Garbage. They know exactly what gets written about them and that kind of shit ****ing WEARS PEOPLE DOWN.

Coffield should be looking on his facebook and seeing our supporters congratulating him on a fantastic game but instead gets absolute dribble. This team performance isnt the one we want, its the one we ****ing deserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back