Preview Round 3, 2020: Richmond v Hawthorn, 18 June 2020, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 months ago this almost exact team put in a great performance and won against the team that finished 2nd on the ladder last year. There was an unprecedented interruption and it's seen weird results in round 2 with other teams who should be better equipped to handle it than us (namely Collingwood, Richmond, and West Coast).

Not saying we don't have issues or that we should put our heads in the sand. I just think we need to take a step back and acknowledge that round 2 was just one game with extraordinary circumstances. Things can and often do change quickly.

That being said, I think we should be going into this game with a few more younger players. If list sizes are to be reduced at the end of the year then we need to both get experience into younger players and discover which of them are the ones we should be hanging onto.

Personally I'd like to see Finn, Jones, Jeka, and Walker come into the team over the next couple rounds and play at least 2 or 3 in a row each.

Things may settle after a few weeks, but the time off and the shortened quarters seem to be favouring the quicker sides - Port, St Kilda and I hate to say it, Essendon seemed to look the best of all the sides in round 2. Even Gold Coast. We were so horribly slow and far too tall.

For the time being I'd like a quicker side selected, some tackles sticking and some better foot and hand passes to team mates than I saw on Friday night - so many crappy passes to player's feet

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with what Lloyd said on the sunday footy show Clarko is trying to top up and squeeze a flag out of a list that doesn’t have one in it.
As much as I dislike Lloyd that summary is spot on. Clarko didn’t have patience to rebuild a side properly after 2016 so we have a topped up side that we’re hoping somehow can pinch a flag (despite obvious issues in list).

Agree with what Lloyd said on the sunday footy show Clarko is trying to top up and squeeze a flag out of a list that doesn’t have one in it.

i agree with Lloyd which i hate to do, i think Clarko thinks all players are the same, which they arent, his one soldier replaces another line was good when we had a list of soldiers, now our list is lacking in generals and soldiers, now its more like a pastry cook replaces a soldier.

but i have faith Clarko can generate loyalty and have good tactics which will keep us mid-table and near a finals spot and that will be good enough until he leaves the next sucker with this broken list.

As much as I dislike Lloyd that summary is spot on. Clarko didn’t have patience to rebuild a side properly after 2016 so we have a topped up side that we’re hoping somehow can pinch a flag (despite obvious issues in list).

i agree with Lloyd which i hate to do, i think Clarko thinks all players are the same, which they arent, his one soldier replaces another line was good when we had a list of soldiers, now our list is lacking in generals and soldiers, now its more like a pastry cook replaces a soldier.

but i have faith Clarko can generate loyalty and have good tactics which will keep us mid-table and near a finals spot and that will be good enough until he leaves the next sucker with this broken list.

I don't think our list is that bad. It's not so much that the list is broken, it's more that we can't glue it all together with a list that has a different type of player than it used to.

Jesus Christ the toys very quickly come out of the cot after one loss.

I don't think our list is that bad. It's not so much that the list is broken, it's more that we can't glue it all together with a list that has a different type of player than it used to.

No way in 2016 you could predict Cyril getting injured and then retiring. Then once we got Wingard were unlucky with long term injuries to Mitchell and Impey.

i think the list is broken and has been since we ignored the draft for 5-6 years until the 2019 draft (7 months ago), this is hurting us now and will hurt us in to the future, if we dont change back to how we used to do business from 2004-2013 or so when we built good lists we could be in for some rough times imo.

I still think we will come to regret not making a bigger play for Brad Hill - He was the best available player last year and we baulked at his asking price based on a false concept of loyalty. He is the best runner in the comp with the smarts to use it in a game plan - Ratten knows it - watch how the Saints will seem better this year because of it. We should have paid the price.

I still think we will come to regret not making a bigger play for Brad Hill - He was the best available player last year and we baulked at his asking price based on a false concept of loyalty. He is the best runner in the comp with the smarts to use it in a game plan - Ratten knows it - watch how the Saints will seem better this year because of it. We should have paid the price.
I am as big of a fan of Hill as anyone but we were not in a position to bring him in.

900k a year for 6 years and the cost of the trade itself is just too much, i love him and wanted him back but he wanted to get paid and he got it.

Don't worry mate we'll put what we saved on offering Hill a contract into the kitty for another run at this year's free agents... :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me Puopolo and Stratton have been cooked, for about a year,

Stratton out ( won’t happen )
Puopolo out, see above
Ceglar out, can’t play two ruck and McEvoy isn’t the solution at CHB

Hardwick Frawley Scrimshaw
Gunston Frost Sicily
Smith Mitchell Sully
Wingard Lewis Breust
Hanrahan Patton Burgoyne
McEvoy O’Meara Worpel
Int : O’Brien Cousins Shiels Morrison

Out Stratton, Puopolo, Ceglar, Henderson
In Scrimshaw O’ Meara Cousins Lewis

Tossed up between Henderson and Morrison for the last spot

Need to make a statement after that pitiful second half

Last edited:

At least they recognised it.. The white flag was firmly put up. I consider Clarko and our footy club much like Bellamy and the Storm, always consistent, hard to beat and always have the oppo concerned when they play us.. I just can’t see a storm team ever putting up a white flag, I hope our boys understand what Friday looked like.

Puopolo out, see above
Ceglar out, can’t play two ruck and isn’t the solution at CHB

Gunston Frost Sicily
Smith Mitchell Sully
Wingard Lewis Breust
Hanrahan Patton Burgoyne
McEvoy O’Meara Worpel

I like it but would prefer Jones over Cuz but happy to give Cuz another crack. Harry is just a wee bit nutty, I love that.

Yeah it’s starting to piss me off to tell you the truth. The ones that throw toys out are the ones that can ride the highs but not the lows. Some need to re-listen to our team song.

I like it but would prefer Jones over Cuz but happy to give Cuz another crack. Harry is just a wee bit nutty, I love that.
Would’nt have problem if Jones got a game, Cousins kicked 8 goals from 12 games last year, think he can play a small forward role and pinch hit in the midfield

Last edited:

Puopolo out, see above
Ceglar out, can’t play two ruck and isn’t the solution at CHB

Gunston Frost Sicily
Smith Mitchell Sully
Wingard Lewis Breust
Hanrahan Patton Burgoyne
McEvoy O’Meara Worpel

We do need to make a statement but I think that’s better done verbally.

‘Out with the old, in with the new’ is a good selection recipe, but it’s not the recipe for consistency.

Out: Hanrahan
In: O’Meara

I hope we see some debutants soon too. While there’s no crowds and so less perceived pressure it’s the perfect opportunity to get senior practice into the young’uns.

i think the list is broken and has been since we ignored the draft for 5-6 years until the 2019 draft (7 months ago), this is hurting us now and will hurt us in to the future, if we dont change back to how we used to do business from 2004-2013 or so when we built good lists we could be in for some rough times imo.
When you look back at it, have we really ignored the draft? I think we've just hit them a few years afterwards (Scully, Patton, JOM, Wingard are all on our list, all top 10, just took a few years after getting drafted)

We had 2 picks in the first round in 2015 - we just stuffed them (still landed a best 22 player in Hardwick) - so I can't agree we ignored the draft

For the 2016 draft, we have the Pick 7 (Scrimshaw) on our list. So, again not a ignored draft, we just didn't pick him up at the draft time. Thank god, picked him up for nearly nothing.

For the 2017 draft, we traded our first picks to get Mitchell and JOM (future captains), so worthy. BUT we still got Worpel who is at least a top 5 selection in the draft, so can't say we ignored that either.

2018 ignored, and that's part of the price of getting JOM.

2019 - as you said we hit.

Wholesale changes isnt the way to go.
Rarely if ever works.

We got smashed in the midfield . So lets fix that up . They smelt blood and exposed us.

We get Omera in . Straight away looks better and gives the extra rotation option.
TOM is a gun player but coming back from serious injury . He may need a season to find his feet consistently again. Thats a realistic possibilty .
We need to take some heat off him with a collective effort.

Ceglar out replaced by a capable midfield rotation option . Will think of 'outs' closer to game.
BB into ruck where he should beat Soldo at taps and around the ground.
Thats two extra mids in and our best ruck well in the ruck.

2nd tier mids a massive rocket followed by a rocket to the rest for the white flag after halftime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back