Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Take out plus last kick and that’s one of his best games for us. Tackles hard quick hands. But fmd.

We looked very poor today. I think injuries are catching up fast.

King Webster Clark Dow Hayes wood Henry

5 first choice guys not there
I think we need to be real.
Hayes is not a walk up
Webster plays cause Bonner is a liability
Dow hasn’t done anything yet…
So it’s King Henry with an up and down Clark ….
I think Crouch and Howard are also seriously missed

With this match as an example, as with Collards, I'm starting them as rookies need time to ease into the flow of the match, they can't impact from fresh really. Bonner switches to HFF, Hastie slots in, I'm actually putting Wilson as sub as he can impact with just his workrate ala Windy and he generally will as he's a smart footballer and can kick a goal.

That's me though, back those kids in when you bring them in and let the players find that happy medium together.

With this match as an example, as with Collards, I'm starting them as rookies need time to ease into the flow of the match, they can't impact from fresh really. Bonner switches to HFF, Hastie slots in, I'm actually putting Wilson as sub as he can impact with just his workrate ala Windy and he generally will as he's a smart footballer and can kick a goal.

That's me though, back those kids in when you bring them in and let the players find that happy medium together.
Yes it's insane to play first gamers as the sub. It was obvious with Collard's debut. Never again.

Jones wasn't an issue this match, had 5 clearances and was a link player for half that match so benefited nicely in midfield, no one be potting that man for anything but managed 61% game time. He and Ross lead our clearances basically as they just worked it out.
He was terrible despite winning a few clearances. Our 19th ranked player, playing in the midfield.

Not on his own though.

Shame, any gains we made against the Pies were post this week. Ball movement was poo. Bombing long to no-one, and dumb decision making, it's Richo era stuff that I thought we'd moved past. Even if we'd won I'd say the same, we'd want a serious improvement in our style at Marvel.

We need more ready mids, Windhager, Philipou, Owens are just not ready.

Bombers pressed really high, floods their backline, then sling-shot forward really fast. We needed to hit targets today.. The most important kick is the one out of our backline and a short kick to advantage, then link up.. Our long bomb to the wing does little to relieve the pressure or move the ball effectively forward.

Again, I think our hard running / pressure game is a two edge sword, if we don’t convert well, then the 2nd half we’re going to be defending all game.

Also this may be small but when kicking in the amount of time bonnet just went long without kicking to our players advantage was infuriating. Why NAS/Sincs/stocker weren’t kicking in was mind boggling
Not small at all . Teams these days manage to run it out and get the first possession around the 50. Over and over he kicked to a contest on the 50 which we were losing. Maybe Steele should’ve made a change on the ground and show some leadership.

What a steaming pile of dogshite that was. Started with energy and enthusiasm - should have been 6 goals up and quarter time but they seemed to get disheartened and go into their shells after the numerous failed shots on goal.

Bonner was absolutely horrendous and I can't believe that he was still taking kick ins in the last quarter. He's a softer, more clanger-prone version of Shane Savage.

Credit to Ross, Higgins and Caminiti who are probably the only players who can hold their head up high after that. Hastie was also quite good in his brief opportunity - reminds me of a cleaner version of Acres.

Disgusting effort to lose to those plebs. At least Gresh and Hind had the decency to do nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was terrible despite winning a few clearances. Our 19th ranked player, playing in the midfield.

Not on his own though.

Screw ranking systems, when we were up and about, and just not finishing to ice that game he was there one touching, being a link with Seb, clearing stoppages, delivering to forwards that actually contested that ball. If you couldn't see that you watched with blinkers on and just noticed stats, he had a more impactful game than Steele and Byrnes for example who played out that match in entirety, for example Steele rated well, and was directly responsible for for 3 scores for and 2-3 against.

Seb did well, Jones when he was there, fought and assisted and we propelled forward, most every other mid just existed on that field and had "moments" of being there.

Shame, any gains we made against the Pies were post this week. Ball movement was poo. Bombing long to no-one, and dumb decision making, it's Richo era stuff that I thought we'd moved past. Even if we'd won I'd say the same, we'd want a serious improvement in our style at Marvel.
Kudos to the bombers midfield though.
Last week we were playing witches hats, whereas their midfield beat Sydney’s.
Their inside mids are very good and with crouch out I expected to be smashed. Especially against their 1-2 ruck combo.

Think we need to somehow work Hammer permanently into the side which is tough with King to come back.

Their pressure contributed hugely to our fumbles.

Also this may be small but when kicking in the amount of time bonnet just went long without kicking to our players advantage was infuriating. Why NAS/Sincs/stocker weren’t kicking in was mind boggling
It wouldn’t have mattered, we just kick it to the back-pocket; then long bomb down the line.. our ball transition compared to Essendon was a joke, they kick to teammate’s advantage, then use a run behind to move the ball quickly, we just wait, hope to find a short kick to free player, then long bomb.. really taxing and frustrating

Essendon-vs-St-Kilda.png

Proud of the boys, for a young and inexperienced team to hang around for that long was impressive.
Kicked ourselves out of it in the end, had we kicked one straighter or if the umpires did their job properly would have made all the difference.
Hopefully that stings and a few boys will be looking to make up for it.
Mr. Hunnester, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

So much to digest still.

Butler was putrid last week for Sandy, has been average at training and isn't match fit. I don't care if he has the experience, Garcia/Collard (even Arie with some magnets shuffled) had done the preseason work and needed to be backed in.

Sharman got hit just before 3/4 time, so perhaps it was more than a tactical sub. Sharman is not Wood though. He has been put down back, on a wing and everywhere in between. He is a forward, plain and simple. His last stint in the 2s came about because he was used to try to plug holes, it's not his go!

Bonner, Nas and Sinclair, they are all relatively unaccountable as one on one defenders. Bonner was being singled out and the pressure got to him. That's where Webster is so good. Bonner actually reminded me of a 21 year old Webster today. The only problem is Bonner is 27 this year and Jimmy has matured into a fine defender who plays within his limitations.

Arie in next week for Bonner, at least Arie can be accountable. Garcia in for Buthurt, I mean Butler.

Goal kicking, I just don't get it. Yes we practice it, we were out there for an hour on Monday just kicking for goal. But it's just fun times so often with our goal kicking practice, so many hero shots from the boundary near the drinks station.

Something got to give, we are better than what we are dishing up. We should be 3 and 0, which is why it's so disappointing.

Last edited:
Okay legend. Maybe he wouldn't be injured if didn't get dropped after one average game.

Jones was very average as usual, if we can't replace him next week we're F'ed.
Okay champ he couldn’t move against Geelong and missed a chunk of pre season.

His injury was pre exisiting and had nothing to do with being dropped but hey twist the facts however you like to attempt to support your argument .

Watched the Sandy game and he couldn’t cover the ground from the first minute of the match .

Your point is wrong he wasn’t available so the decision was probably Jones or García .

It is totally irrelevant as Crouch was not fit for selection and doubling down suggesting he might not have got injured when he was already well known to be carrying an injury is ridiculous.

Not arguing about Jones agree he was poor but he had a few mates. Midfield was a shambles.

He really didn't need to do it but Adam Cooney confirmed my opinion of him with his votes on SEN.
3- Martin
2- Merrett
1- BONNER

Just watched last 2 mins
WTF wouldn’t Phillipou just centre that ball ??? We outnumbered them directly in front of goal ???? Why go a miracle from boundary ??????
Lots to learn….especially about team first
Wasn’t why we lost but geezus ….its Auskick stuff with 1.40 on the clock ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back