Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny cause I thought I read somewhere that Lyon has no say in recruitment and the reason he won't deliver us a promised flag by 2020 is the list managers keep cocking it up. But maybe I just dreamt that

But the List managers have cocked it up - only recently starting to get it right.
1st round draft picks on the list that we have drafted,
Donuts
2008 SHill
Donuts
2016 Logue.
2017 Brayshaw + Cerra
2018 Sturt

Now, I don't mind losing Weller and gaining extra in the draft (2 x 1st rounders instead of 1 in 2017), but list management has left us close to empty cupboards for mature talents that should be the backbone of this club (up until the last 2-3 years where we've had trades wanting to come back to WA, trying to backfill that void).

As for "no say in recruitment". People aren't saying that, he'll pass on a shopping list of 2 pocket forwards, a ruck and a loaf of bread and the club may or may not provide them. But the coach needs to be planning for the next game, not scouring through lists and tracking WAFL/VFL players and attending various games in those lower leagues. So, recruitment reports directly to the head of football, Bell (Steve before that), not to the head coach. Aside from focussing on coaching, you need to keep a deliberate separation of the roles, a club needs to plan a list for the next decade - a coach only for the next few years (or in many cases, a single year or two if they are on short contracts).

But the List managers have cocked it up - only recently starting to get it right.
1st round draft picks on the list that we have drafted,
Donuts
2008 SHill
Donuts
2016 Logue.
2017 Brayshaw + Cerra
2018 Sturt

Now, I don't mind losing Weller and gaining extra in the draft (2 x 1st rounders instead of 1 in 2017), but list management has left us close to empty cupboards for mature talents that should be the backbone of this club (up until the last 2-3 years where we've had trades wanting to come back to WA, trying to backfill that void).

As for "no say in recruitment". People aren't saying that, he'll pass on a shopping list of 2 pocket forwards, a ruck and a loaf of bread and the club may or may not provide them. But the coach needs to be planning for the next game, not scouring through lists and tracking WAFL/VFL players and attending various games in those lower leagues. So, recruitment reports directly to the head of football, Bell (Steve before that), not to the head coach. Aside from focussing on coaching, you need to keep a deliberate separation of the roles, a club needs to plan a list for the next decade - a coach only for the next few years (or in many cases, a single year or two if they are on short contracts).

Absolutely agree that we have a litany of drafted failures that pre-date Ross and therefore we can all agree he did a n amazing job getting that flawed team to a grannie two years after arriving here.
But he does interfere in specific decisions, he insisted we draft Duffy is one well known example. He's a micromanager, he can't help himself

Absolutely agree that we have a litany of drafted failures that pre-date Ross and therefore we can all agree he did a n amazing job getting that flawed team to a grannie two years after arriving here.
But he does interfere in specific decisions, he insisted we draft Duffy is one well known example. He's a micromanager, he can't help himself
Duffy the forward who is now playing American Football?

That statement flies in the face of the recruiting that has happened during the rebuild. Even players who have struggled to gain a foothold like Crowden or Bewley were recruited because of their kicking skills.
Line ball he chooses effort or preferred. He had smart skillful/tidy players like Duman and nyhuis to pick from round 1 and he chose hughes. Not sure it will matter long term, logue or cox will get a gig before hughes i would have thought Uunless Hughes can show significant improvement in certain areas. He has had some goodish games but bad kicking and decision-making will probably make him expendable if there is a change in focus in selection.
Hopefully soon, now that we are putting some emphasis on recruiting for skills, we can have both effort and skill in the same players and we have a training structure that both teaches and maintains those skills, not leave them to deteriorate .

jfc you know you must be short on points for a debate when you have to quote something from The West. BTW according to that same publication, every Eagle was a hero on the weekend, and all of Freo's players were apparently terrible except Mundy. Sounds legit.

I thought they were improving but I'm back to forgetting they exist for a while again.
Ha ha. To be fair to me though I did quote Fox footy as well....does that help my credibility at all? Hmm not sure.

Absolutely agree that we have a litany of drafted failures that pre-date Ross and therefore we can all agree he did an amazing job getting that flawed team to a grannie two years after arriving here.
It's easy to say things like "[h]e's a micromanager" and it fits a certain narrative, but I'm not sure there's been any overt evidence to support that. I mean why does he love the phrase "let the cobblers do the cobbling" so much?

It's also the first I've heard that bit about his involvement in the Duffy recruiting. Where have you heard that?

If it is true it wasn't a bad choice to be involved in, Duffy was like a more skilled forward version of Blakely in the way he went about it. It was a continual run of injuries and him not quite taking it to the next level with his prep that cost him his spot in the end, certainly not talent. He was also a West Aussie coming out of a Freo club. It also would be well within regular process for Lyon to have input in that sort of decision as the recruitment guys would bring a selection of potential draftees to the Footy Dept just for final tick off or to choose from any 50-50 selections between potential draftees etc.

Don’t WtF my opinion.

I was at the game neither were overly impressive. Think Schultz has shown more over his multiple games Than Swit in the Derby.

Mummy will destroy Lobb, Swit goes out so Lobb can go forward.
Thought Switta was quite good for his first game back. He's very quick, clean and agile...

Reckon Wilson is playing sore an Hamling won’t make it for the flight.

Out: Wilson(inj.), Hamling, Switkowski
In : Fyfe, Darcy, Cox

Conca moves half back, Cox to backline. Lobb forward.

You watched Switkowski on the weekend and thought "he has to go"?

Not just before Ross arrived here, after as well. No first rounders left on the list beween SHill and Logue in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Switta was quite good for his first game back. He's very quick, clean and agile...

That tackle on Gaff is HTB every day of the week. Absolutely deflating when stuff like that doesn't get paid.

Other than that, very happy with Switta, wasn't great on Saturday but showed a lot of promise.

The fact you quoted The West voids your point. Hughes handled Darling expertly. Matched him for size, speed and over the ground. Normally Hamling would’ve gone to him, but Ross trusted Hughes enough.
His two goals came from sensational diving from Darling. He got 10s from all the judges. Gold medal stuff.
Like Ibbotson, sure Hughes’ a slow decision making, but he has some qualities that deserves to be highlighted. He’s only 188cm. But can mark like a 195cm backman.
People seem to forget, right now Logue is nowhere ready for AFL. He hasn’t played since 2017. It’s fanciful to think Griffin can slot straight in and do better. He ll be playing for Peel until mid season at best when he comes back. Until then, Hughes the best we have.
Nyhuis should be coming in at perhaps the expense of Conca/Cerra. One half back/midfielder is enough. It was overkill with both Conca and Cerra there but Hamling was injured.
Didn't your mum teach you not to exaggerate.

I'd be happy to see a new player blooded.
In many sports, players may lift according to the level of game they are playing in, so may not set the world on fire in the WAFL, but do well in the AFL.

You watched Switkowski on the weekend and thought "he has to go"?

No. I said I Was at the game and neither impressed me, both were beaten by their opponents.

Have no doubt you are a better judge than me Lach, I made my choice between him and Schultz.

Fyfe comes back, Walters forward and allow Darcy to play. Don’t need both. Assume you’re saying Switta is a better option than Shultz based on form? We will wait for Thursday at selection.

I don’t care if I’m wrong, just going by what I saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back