Prediction Round 8, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out - Brockman, Edwards, Edwards
In - Reid, Long, Barrass

Brockman is silk but not doing enough with no scoring impact L Edwards just doesn't offer much. H Edwards unlucky

Good to see Luke Edwards in everyones outs:

#1 ranked eagle for distance at high speed
#1 ranked eagle for average speed in attack
#2 ranked eagle for average speed in defence
#2 ranked eagle for average speed
#3 ranked eagle for sprints with 16*

The guys clearly working his arse off in a s**t position, not sure how he gets dropped. As Simmo pointed out during the week, he's played every game that he's been available for. Probably a reason for that.

Stats aren't everything and we only get the top 5 but the tracker is interesting. Distance covered for us gets taken out by Duggan, Waterman, Hough. Thats more a measure of time on ground where our top 4 of Waterman, Duggan, Cripps, Hough are all at 90% time on ground give or take. Edwards is spending time on the bench [78% game time] but spending more time out there than our proper mids. It would seem that today, just like in his other full games this year, Edwards would probably be #1 ranked for every tracker metric if adjusted for time on ground. For instance Cripps had 17 sprints, one more than Edwards- but he spent 12% more time on ground. Then Luke is also copping it for having low stats. He's not playing at the coal face. Almost all of his possessions are kicks, and he got more than most today. Of our mids Kelly had the most kicks with 11, then Yeo on 9, LEdwards 8, Hunt 7, Cripps 6, Ginbey 5, Chesser 4, Sheed 2 etc.

I'm not sure what he'll be but pretty sure he's been given a role and is hitting his KPI's. For someone who doesn't seem to be all that fast its super interesting that his cruising speed at least seems to be elite. He'll stay in is my bet.

Changes for mine this week:

Out: Chesser, Sheed, Witherden, Brockman
In: Trew, Reid, Barrass [Sub-Johnston]

In our defence, hard to see all that watching on TV and I doubt many people checked the tracker stats before doing their changes.

Sheed haters are scared knowing if he had a full game he would rip it up and stay in the squad forever

I understand why people want to whip Andrew gaff but I can tell you if you whip Sheed your going to have egg on your faces.

Refer to Waterman being the whipping boy when anyone with an eye for talent could spot him being a superstar from way back.

Sheed has one last hurrah of form to hit before he retires.
I don't think Sheed should be sub.

I think he should play a full game but probably in the WAFL.

This isn't a recent thing, it's been an ongoing thing for years now that he's not been very damaging with the ball in hand. I don't feel like he has an ideal position at the moment.

If they want to play this high pressure game style he doesn't suit it very well. He was more suited to the kick/mark gameplan that we used to use.

Where would you have him play? On the wing or in the guts as an inside mid?

That kind of dictates who he is jostling for a spot with.

The guys clearly working his arse off in a s**t position, not sure how he gets dropped. As Simmo pointed out during the week, he's played every game that he's been available for. Probably a reason for that.

Stats aren't everything and we only get the top 5 but the tracker is interesting. Distance covered for us gets taken out by Duggan, Waterman, Hough. Thats more a measure of time on ground where our top 4 of Waterman, Duggan, Cripps, Hough are all at 90% time on ground give or take. Edwards is spending time on the bench [78% game time] but spending more time out there than our proper mids. It would seem that today, just like in his other full games this year, Edwards would probably be #1 ranked for every tracker metric if adjusted for time on ground. For instance Cripps had 17 sprints, one more than Edwards- but he spent 12% more time on ground. Then Luke is also copping it for having low stats. He's not playing at the coal face. Almost all of his possessions are kicks, and he got more than most today. Of our mids Kelly had the most kicks with 11, then Yeo on 9, LEdwards 8, Hunt 7, Cripps 6, Ginbey 5, Chesser 4, Sheed 2 etc.

I'm not sure what he'll be but pretty sure he's been given a role and is hitting his KPI's. For someone who doesn't seem to be all that fast its super interesting that his cruising speed at least seems to be elite. He'll stay in is my bet.

Changes for mine this week:

Out: Chesser, Sheed, Witherden, Brockman
In: Trew, Reid, Barrass [Sub-Johnston]
Personally the only one that stands out for that list is the sprints, which is a great effort by him.

The average at "high speed" I personally don't buy into so much. He's playing his role and that's a good sign but is not being rewarded with possessions. Chesser also features in the highest average speed as do Holman and Fiorini for the Suns, it doesn't make for a great game (nor a bad one).

That's the role they're playing, but it would be nice if he got involved more. We seem to have a lot of unrewarded effort players that really need to find a way to be rewarded with possessions.

For what it's worth I don't think he should be dropped, but I did list him as being below Long in the pecking order because I believe Long has more to offer in link up play as well as hitting the scoreboard himself.

I see Edwards as possibly vying for positions with Chesser and Sheed, if that's correct than I'd keep Edwards in. However I am unsure of where the coaches see Sheed's best position.

Brought to you by the person who wanted Cripps out because supposedly all he does is run

I think that Ryan, Gov, Barrass, Duggan, Yeo, Darling, Cripps and Cole are the max players from our 2018 era that we can afford to have in the team at the same time because they genuinely are still best 22.

Adding Gaff and/or Sheed on top of that makes us too old and slow, so they should be considered depth players.

Just my opinion.

Personally the only one that stands out for that list is the sprints, which is a great effort by him.

The average at "high speed" I personally don't buy into so much. He's playing his role and that's a good sign but is not being rewarded with possessions. Chesser also features in the highest average speed as do Holman and Fiorini for the Suns, it doesn't make for a great game (nor a bad one).

That's the role they're playing, but it would be nice if he got involved more. We seem to have a lot of unrewarded effort players that really need to find a way to be rewarded with possessions.

For what it's worth I don't think he should be dropped, but I did list him as being below Long in the pecking order because I believe Long has more to offer in link up play as well as hitting the scoreboard himself.

I see Edwards as possibly vying for positions with Chesser and Sheed, if that's correct than I'd keep Edwards in. However I am unsure of where the coaches see Sheed's best position.

Yeah the average speed in defence/attack stat is dubious because you could literally come in as a sub and do 1 run through the 50 arc and make it in. Sheed did it last week. Average at high speed, sprints, repeat sprints, distance covered are better. He's topped some of them tonight and all of them at one point or another this year.

I'm a fan of Chessers and yeah they may be vying for a similar position, I think they are instructed to play their roles differently from each other but yeah, essential its all "on the wing." Both are probably inside mids and Chesser has more of an up side there than Edwards given his speed. I think though that neither of them are going to get any game time in that position for a few years, and Edwards has adjusted to the plan b the coaches have designed for him better than Chesser has. I think for Chesser it's a case now of he's been given a sustained look at it and he's slowly improving but not exactly thriving. He'd be better served going back to the WAFL for a block of games.

Long is interesting, I'm not sure his game is an exact copy of what Edwards is doing either, and he's competing for a spot more directly with Cripps, Ryan and Brockman. He's ahead of Brockman but not Ryan. If you ask the board he's not ahead of Cripps but I am not sure where match committee sits on that because they didn't have to make a call this week given his injury. Next week should be the first time all 4 have been available for those 2 forward pockets. I guess he's behind both Cripps and Ryan in their eyes but it'd certainly be paining them. He might have to play WAFL this week if Edwards holds his position [likely] and Ryan stays in [highly likely]. Or, they might come up with a new role for him, but we don't really do that. It is what it is, but it's a long season and I think both Darling and Cripps were beginning to look their age today. Competing with 20 year olds is not so easy when they recover on a different level to you, only gets harder as the season wears on.

Last edited:
Brought to you by the person who wanted Cripps out because supposedly all he does is run

Yeah, and if you'd listened to the argument you might of picked up on the point being made: that the evidence points to Edwards running harder and therefore offering more. But you keep doing you Biff. Trawl every thread looking for any chance to mock and denigrate and just hoping like hell you can beat one of your 3 clones to the zinger. I'm glad to be bringing so much joy to your life. And it's going to bring me some joy [a tiny amount really] to put you on ignore right now.

Cripps is one of 11 players in the comp to have kicked a goal in every game this season. We’re not seriously going to do this again this week, right?

For the record:
Cadman
Cripps
Curnow
Heeney
O. Henry
Hogan
Larkey
McDonald
Stringer
Treacy
Waterman

Yeah, and if you'd listened to the argument you might of picked up on the point being made: that the evidence points to Edwards running harder and therefore offering more. But you keep doing you Biff. Trawl every thread looking for any chance to mock and denigrate and just hoping like hell you can beat one of your 3 clones to the zinger. I'm glad to be bringing so much joy to your life. And it's going to bring me some joy [a tiny amount really] to put you on ignore right now.
But you're the only one who thinks Cripps is in the team because all he does is run hard.
So you're trying to prove to yourself that you were right about dumping Cripps because he's not actually the hardest runner in the team...genius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the average speed in defence/attack stat is dubious because you could literally come in as a sub and do 1 run through the 50 arc and make it in. Sheed did it last week. Average at high speed, sprints, repeat sprints, distance covered are better. He's topped some of them tonight and all of them at one point or another this year.

I'm a fan of Chessers and yeah they may be vying for a similar position, I think they are instructed to play their roles differently from each other but yeah, essential its all "on the wing." Both are probably inside mids and Chesser has more of an up side there than Edwards given his speed. I think though that neither of them are going to get any game time in that position for a few years, and Edwards has adjusted to the plan b the coaches have designed for him better than Chesser has. I think for Chesser it's a case now of he's been given a sustained look at it and he's slowly improving but not exactly thriving. He'd be better served going back to the WAFL for a block of games.

Long is interesting, I'm not sure his game is an exact copy of what Edwards is doing either, and he's competing for a spot more directly with Cripps, Ryan and Brockman. He's ahead of Brockman but not Ryan. If you ask the board he's not ahead of Cripps but I am not sure where match committee sits on that because they didn't have to make a call this week given his injury. Next week should be the first time all 4 have been available for those 2 forward pockets. I guess he's behind both Cripps and Ryan in their eyes but it'd certainly be paining them. He might have to play WAFL this week if Edwards holds his position [likely] and Ryan stays in [highly likely]. Or, they might come up with a new role for him, but we don't really do that. It is what it is, but it's a long season and I think both Darling and Cripps were beginning to look their age today. Competing with 20 year olds is not so easy when they recover on a different level to you, only gets harder as the season wears on.
Yes I agree, but I would actually pick Long to play out of position on the wing above Edwards to play out of position on the wing, not that that's what going to happen but hypothetically.

I would like Cripps to play more games alongside Long, because Long can learn more off Cripps than anyone else on our list at the moment. Taking his own vision and creativity but learning the work rate and timing from Cripps could make Long a star.

I think Edwards best attributes are his composure in traffic, so he does seem like a poor man's Pendlebury type of player (not a bad thing) that is just doing what he needs to do on the wing to get games. Not his best position for sure but he can't crack the middle as we have Yeo, Reid, Kelly and others going through there at the moment.

Either way, neither is probably a true winger. I also don't believe Long and Edwards are competing for the same position, but what's changed since Long hurt his hip is that Ryan has come in. I see Long as too good to leave out so if that means he fights Chesser and Edwards for a spot I'd pick him. However it's more likely that Brockman may be spending a week in the WAFL.

Cripps is one of 11 players in the comp to have kicked a goal in every game this season. We’re not seriously going to do this again this week, right?

For the record:
Cadman
Cripps
Curnow
Heeney
O. Henry
Hogan
Larkey
McDonald
Stringer
Treacy
Waterman

I have very little interest in Jamie Cripps. I have a slight interest in how Liam Ryan rebounds from injury but not a lot. I am quite interested in the career trajectories of Noah Long, Tyler Brockman, Luke Edwards, Loch Rawlinson, Harvey Johnston, Ryan Maric and Jake Waterman. Sometimes it could be necessary to compare how any of these guys are travelling relative to one another. And as long as Cripps and Ryan are the first two blokes picked they are the standard to compare to.

But, that's a bit too much for the board so basically I'm putting on ignore everyone who's going to engage with me in a disingenuous manner and partake in embarrassing attempts at gen-x level humour. Because it's really just done in the spirit of harassment and piling on, with the intent always just trying prove through being a dick, that you have some alpha cred that you probably don't have in the real world. It's sad stuff. it's beyond the capacity of a surprising % of this board to share in a joke or enjoy some banter. We are an unwell society though so I guess that makes sense.

Since you seem to enjoy a bit of a pile on yourself Badge I'll make a special deal with you. Jamie Cripps talk will be limited, but I will occasionally discuss him when and if he begins to struggle to stay fit and sharp. In return, and as a show of good faith, I will delete my account if:

He reaches 250 games this season, or 255 overall.
He kicks career 310 goals.
He gets another contract.
He polls 3 Brownlow votes in any game starting round 1 2024 onwards.

Now let's move on. Its Harley Reid returns week.

I know Sheed is the perennial whipping boy around here, but surely deserves more than 2 quarters of football before being banished forever?

Watching on TV so may not be in best position to comment but just on Sheed.

Opposition ‘run ons’ in last two games seemed to coincide with Sheeds entry into the game. May just be coincidental but….I wonder.

The only difference between Gaff and Sheed IMO is ability to kick - other than that we are getting the same. No place for either in team.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh my God. For real? Again

Dying Inside GIF

But, that's a bit too much for the board so basically I'm putting on ignore everyone who's going to engage with me in a disingenuous manner and partake in embarrassing attempts at gen-x level humour. Because it's really just done in the spirit of harassment and piling on, with the intent always just trying prove through being a dick, that you have some alpha cred that you probably don't have in the real world. It's sad stuff. it's beyond the capacity of a surprising % of this board to share in a joke or enjoy some banter. We are an unwell society though so I guess that makes sense.

Since you seem to enjoy a bit of a pile on yourself Badge I'll make a special deal with you. Jamie Cripps talk will be limited, but I will occasionally discuss him when and if he begins to struggle to stay fit and sharp. In return, and as a show of good faith, I will delete my account if:

obama-come-on-what-2.gif

I have very little interest in Jamie Cripps. I have a slight interest in how Liam Ryan rebounds from injury but not a lot. I am quite interested in the career trajectories of Noah Long, Tyler Brockman, Luke Edwards, Loch Rawlinson, Harvey Johnston, Ryan Maric and Jake Waterman. Sometimes it could be necessary to compare how any of these guys are travelling relative to one another. And as long as Cripps and Ryan are the first two blokes picked they are the standard to compare to.

Man

He rodgered your mum hard.

Current stats:

294 Goals - 16 to Target
235 AFL games - 15 to 250 total
I believe is contracted to 2025 already
In the Brownlow got 3 votes total last year and in his career has only ever polled 12 total over 14 years.

Should hit the goals and games though if he maintains his averages.

Yes I agree, but I would actually pick Long to play out of position on the wing above Edwards to play out of position on the wing, not that that's what going to happen but hypothetically.

I would like Cripps to play more games alongside Long, because Long can learn more off Cripps than anyone else on our list at the moment. Taking his own vision and creativity but learning the work rate and timing from Cripps could make Long a star.

I think Edwards best attributes are his composure in traffic, so he does seem like a poor man's Pendlebury type of player (not a bad thing) that is just doing what he needs to do on the wing to get games. Not his best position for sure but he can't crack the middle as we have Yeo, Reid, Kelly and others going through there at the moment.

Either way, neither is probably a true winger. I also don't believe Long and Edwards are competing for the same position, but what's changed since Long hurt his hip is that Ryan has come in. I see Long as too good to leave out so if that means he fights Chesser and Edwards for a spot I'd pick him. However it's more likely that Brockman may be spending a week in the WAFL.

Agree with all. Edwards has great composure, poor mans Pendlebury is a fair if unflattering comparison. I'm not sure he becomes best 22, could be depth for us post Yeo and Kelly or could find a niche for himself at the level. Jury is out medium term, but short term he's just in a unique position being a one of the older new wave and having build himself an elite tank. My confidence in him is as much that Simmo just seems to speak really highly of him than it is him setting the world on fire. It would be odd to single him out for praise if he was fringe. And his gps data seems to back up the confidence match committee have in him.

I agree Long is too good to leave out. But as was my original point last week, people don't seem to realise that Brockman going out isn't enough to get Long his spot back. There was some musical chairs going on in which Maric started the season out of the 22 then came in, and we need Maric playing as much as Long. There is a log jam in which essentially if both Cripps and Ryan play we can't play two of Long, Brockman and Maric. Essentially Brockman and Maric would have to go for Long to come learn at Cripps feet. Or Liam Ryan push out Cole down back- which I see as highly unlikely. Luke Edwards is who people want to go out because very few are invested in him as a player, but I just don't think match committee see's him as that option. So they [match committee] pretty much have to be talking about Long v Cripps when they are picking the current side where all the options are fit and available. And everybody wants them both in but it doesn't seem possible. For me I'm picking Long every day of the week and its not a slight on Cripps, its just answering the question of who is more important to the club right now and in the future.

I mean there’s so much to unpack here mate.

Cliff notes version:
• Ryan isn’t one of the first picked, or he wouldn’t have done two WAFL games to return.

• Cripps isn’t the future in the way those young guys are, but offers us plenty every week (both running and scoreboard) and playing in a competitive team is better than the expansion GC model of play every kid and let them drown.

• I don’t want you to delete your account? Just don’t see the need to have a weekly Cripps dialogue given he’s so clearly one of our most vital cogs up forward, according to coaches, former teammates who now do media, and the eye test.

• Very happy if Cripps is the standard to compare to. Put Jamie Cripps desire and work rate in every player on this list and we’d be Premiers.

Good faith disagreement does not equal a pile on. The nuanced discussion with how you see it (more players than spots, prioritise Long over Cripps given their age) is perfectly reasonable albeit not the way I see it.

The ‘all Cripps does is run’ but then fly the flag for another player based largely on their running stats is what raised eyebrows I would say.

Current stats:

294 Goals - 16 to Target
235 AFL games - 15 to 250 total
I believe is contracted to 2025 already
In the Brownlow got 3 votes total last year and in his career has only ever polled 12 total over 14 years.

Should hit the goals and games though if he maintains his averages.

I wanted to make it interesting, for sure. He won't maintain those averages though. Plays every game from here in 2024 and kicks better than a goal a game I'll tip my hat to him. [or rather, fall on my sword]

Yes would need another contract beyond 2025, assuming Nissy didn't already take care of that before Don arrived.
Last time he got the 3 votes he played on a first gamer and had 12 shots on goal, returning 5. I can see him attracting a first gamer again possibly but not sure the umps fall for that one again. Now that we have a fully activated J-Train fully not sure he gets that level of supply either.

I mean there’s so much to unpack here mate.

Cliff notes version:
• Ryan isn’t one of the first picked, or he wouldn’t have done two WAFL games to return.

• Cripps isn’t the future in the way those young guys are, but offers us plenty every week (both running and scoreboard) and playing in a competitive team is better than the expansion GC model of play every kid and let them drown.

• I don’t want you to delete your account? Just don’t see the need to have a weekly Cripps dialogue given he’s so clearly one of our most vital cogs up forward, according to coaches, former teammates who now do media, and the eye test.

• Very happy if Cripps is the standard to compare to. Put Jamie Cripps desire and work rate in every player on this list and we’d be Premiers.

Good faith disagreement does not equal a pile on. The nuanced discussion with how you see it (more players than spots, prioritise Long over Cripps given their age) is perfectly reasonable albeit not the way I see it.

The ‘all Cripps does is run’ but then fly the flag for another player based largely on their running stats is what raised eyebrows I would say.

Appreciated.

Ryan is definitely a selection priority given he's still grossly underdone and Simmo is happy to burn games on him while underdone until he gets his feel back. At least that's how I read Simmos post game comments.

Not sure its an every week convo on Cripps, its round 7 and he's been in my outs once. And even last week that was only for lols in response to Ryan coming in, who I thought should have been held back down a level for longer.

The reason there has been so much back and forth is because it's a topic everyone wants to quote me on and draw me into. I've ignored more plays for a response than I've answered. When a dozen people want to ask you to explain your position you are going to end up explaining your position. Then it's the most hilarious thing in the world to sit back and say "gee, obsessed much? wow Cripps must of ****ed you mum or something lololol."

There has been little to no effort to acknowledge the arguments I've made or engage in good faith. It should not raise eyebrows for me to put Edwards's running up against Cripps, when the whole point of the conversation was that people rate Cripps for his work rate and have not noticed that at 32 he has seemingly been eclipsed in that area. It's not a contradiction it's the point.

If anyone had any interest in todays game, it looked to me like he started on the wing and didn't touch the ball for the first 45 minutes. Then played the rest of the game closer to goal, and looked knackered. I think he's struggling to play the role that he made his name on and the signs are there that that's the case. Yes he's kicked 2 goals, off of what must be said brilliant supply. And he's kicked goals in each game. As he should. But he is effectively resting forward and playing 90% match time while everyone else is playing through the area as some form of small forward is rotating through the bench. Who is to say at this point how many goals a game Long or Brockman would be kicking with 90% game time and a heap of time resting forward?

Anyway, its been done to death which was not my original intention. It was probably 4-6 weeks too early to be bringing this up. It's become a topic and this week for the first time ever we have every small forward fit and vying for a spot. Crippa and JD both looked pretty tired out there today and it's very likely to be the case they are going to struggle to back it up every week without their form dropping off. Thats compounded I think by the fact that both have been working harder than they usually would to stay in the side. Which is a good thing, but it's going to catch up with them.

When it does I predict the rest of you will have this conversation amongst yourselves and all pretend it's the most natural and obvious thing in the world to be talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back