Rumour Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Now, I've just read some responses re- my question about delisted FA.

But no response to my 2nd Q.

Is the PSD redundant or am I missing something?

Fairly certain Hine wanted to draft Russell back when he 1st was draftable but carlton got in first, he has a neat kick and has pace so would fill 2 needs of ours imo.

Would be a good get.

I'll admit to having not watched his game, but a neat kick? Everything I've seen and heard suggests otherwise.

A late pick at the very best. He was a top 10 pick, but what do they say about old dogs?

I'll admit to having not watched his game, but a neat kick? Everything I've seen and heard suggests otherwise.

A late pick at the very best. He was a top 10 pick, but what do they say about old dogs?
They learn new tricks at better homes?

Now, I've just read some responses re- my question about delisted FA.

But no response to my 2nd Q.

Is the PSD redundant or am I missing something?

No it isn't redundant just on borrowed time. It'll be used for players that slide through the national draft that then get a chance to train with the club.

They learn nothing. Only as the last pick or rookie. Taking Buckley's place, that's all the value I put on this pick, whether he's been damaged by Carlton or not.

What's your estimation of our cap situation Spicey?

I noticed a couple of Hawk supporters were convinced that we must have been rorting the cap in order to sign Lynch weeks ago. Of course soon after that the Hawks signed Lake, and those same vocal supporters went silent for a bit..

Expect we'll hear more grumbling with Young climbing aboard though ;) FWIW, I reckon Joe Pleb on the street has NFI about our cap situation- they probably just read the back page of the Hun every day, and figure all our players are on half a mill each. 2+2 seems always equals 500..

I don't think we've got heaps of cap space, but Lynch/Young in, Dawes/Wellingham out... seems about right to me? It's not as if we've just offered Tippett $1m a year!

I don't think we've got heaps of cap space, but Lynch/Young in, Dawes/Wellingham out... seems about right to me? It's not as if we've just offered Tippett $1m a year!

That was a bad PR move by the Swans IMO- discretion may have been the better part of valour, given that they were still drunk on premiership success.

Vlad's admission (did I just write that?) that their cap benefits might need to be revised now was a pragmatic/damage limitation PR move by the AFL themselves.. Tippett might end up costing Sydney much more than a million a year (or Jesse White).

I think you're right re our cap situation; two in, two out.. Pendles and Beamer would both be on significant unders compared to that which GWS would offer them. Ball's front-loaded contract would no longer be an issue for us either, presumably.

What's your estimation of our cap situation Spicey?

I noticed a couple of Hawk supporters were convinced that we must have been rorting the cap in order to sign Lynch weeks ago. Of course soon after that the Hawks signed Lake, and those same vocal supporters went silent for a bit..

Expect we'll hear more grumbling with Young climbing aboard though ;) FWIW, I reckon Joe Pleb on the street has NFI about our cap situation- they probably just read the back page of the Hun every day, and figure all our players are on half a mill each. 2+2 seems always equals 500..

Walsh said on trade radio we couldnt afford hickey in our salary cap, and he'd only be asking for 200k. So we are right at the max and wont be able to sign anyone else unless they come minimum wage

I've got as much idea about our cap space as you Skeletor, ie heaps.

No-one really knows, but you can always make space if you can offload some detritius. What works for us I think in this trade period is that some players like Buckley and Wood, as far as I know, don't have contracts. That's the change we have to play with. We might be in a position to 'upgrade' Buckley for Russell as a chance without any cap issues.

Well Adelaide were the other club mentioned in relation to Daniel Currie and they've just traded down in the draft (from pick #40) to get Angus Graham from Richmond. I think now our 2nd and 3rd round (from Melbourne) picks are ahead of their 2nd overall pick. I dunno what sort of competition we have for him, or even our level of interest, but that's got to help matters somewhat. He'll be 24 by the start of next season.

Walsh said on trade radio we couldnt afford hickey in our salary cap, and he'd only be asking for 200k. So we are right at the max and wont be able to sign anyone else unless they come minimum wage
I think a lot of people are starting to realise (myself) that Walshe is FULL OF SHIT!
We don't really want to give the media anything....and nor should we.

I wouldn't put any stock in that argument. Our Walshy is not about to reveal as we know from our Young rumours. If Hickey costs around 200k, he'd come cheaper than Martin - who I'd prefer. Post-Young, Martin might be too much if we can't offload Wood.

We might be able to afford Hickey with a pick though. It's all a mystery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be my guess too.

An additional benefit to our trading this year, in gaining several first round picks, is that the players we draft will hopefully give us better quality depth (eg Geelong and their VFL side), without making a dent in our salary cap in the short term. Our dealings have been most shrewd.

I've got as much idea about our cap space as you Skeletor, ie heaps.

No-one really knows, but you can always make space if you can offload some detritius. What works for us I think in this trade period is that some players like Buckley and Wood, as far as I know, don't have contracts. That's the change we have to play with. We might be in a position to 'upgrade' Buckley for Russell as a chance without any cap issues.

I could see us jettisoning both those two in order to sign one senior player (eg Martin or Russell) and use one lower-range draft pick (#48? #82?) or upgrade a rookie, thus slightly decreasing the age of the list.. which, if the AFL is anything like the NBA, makes it a slightly cheaper list (or am I making stuff up?)

Well a neat shot at goal on the run and provides good defensive pressure.

An underwhelming reel for someone who is a FA and has played a time. A handball makes it on there? He's a big kick but to me there's not much of anything about him beside a big kick. Strictly a late pick or rookie if at all.

I have to say I'm with Spicey here. I find it odd that some are mentioning his RU in the Carlton B&F yet choosing to gloss over the other 7 average to poor years he's spent on their list.

Who would he replace in our best 22? Because he obviously wouldn't be keen to move as a depth player. He's initially from S.A, Port have shown interest and have more cap space. It's a no brainer that he'll lob there next year and the only reason it didn't happen by the first FA deadline was because it would have quashed the value they got for Chaplin and Pearce.

TBH like the brief love for Roberton I'm a little surprised by the interest in him, each to their own I guess.

I don't know how many suitors he'd have, given he's being delisted from a bottom-8 club. Maybe he'd be happy to latch on somewhere and not so picky about his playing time? It's not like we're competing with multiple clubs for his services as a RFA.

I think a lot of people are starting to realise (myself) that Walshe is FULL OF SHIT!
We don't really want to give the media anything....and nor should we.
Maybe you just need to examine Walsh's words a bit more closely.
People (you included) make assumptions that what he said means something he didn't say

I can't see Russell coming in now that we've got Young. Would be worth a punt given his 2010 form, but I just can't see him working his way into our 22. If the Blues are letting him go then his body is probably close to being cooked.

In regards to Hickey I think we're in the mix looking to snag Saints pick 13. Might be pick 20 and our picks in the 40s (handing over one or downgrading both) to get the Saints pick 13 and allowing them to use pick 20 to get Hickey. Would give them additional picks in the top 50. I can't see us using all 5 picks this year so I'm expecting us to try to upgrade our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back