Rumour Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see Russell coming in now that we've got Young. Would be worth a punt given his 2010 form, but I just can't see him working his way into our 22. If the Blues are letting him go then his body is probably close to being cooked.

In regards to Hickey I think we're in the mix looking to snag Saints pick 13. Might be pick 20 and our picks in the 40s (handing over one or downgrading both) to get the Saints pick 13 and allowing them to use pick 20 to get Hickey. Would give them additional picks in the top 50. I can't see us using all 5 picks this year so I'm expecting us to try to upgrade our picks.

Yeah I think we are out for Hickey as the Price is to high and we have Gault,Ceglar and Witts on the List.

Russel I see IF we sign him be more for Depth in that Postion and would be no worse then Simon Buckley

An underwhelming reel for someone who is a FA and has played a time. A handball makes it on there? He's a big kick but to me there's not much of anything about him beside a big kick. Strictly a late pick or rookie if at all.

Well we have turn Playes around before. Look at what we did with Paul Medhurst.

We might sign him for Nothing IF he is delisted

Medhurst was flashy before he came to us. Played some great games for the Dockers, but in fairness, I reckon he only had one great year for us. His first was ordinary, as was his last.

We may as well keep Simon Buckley on for another year. Axing him to bring in Jordan Russell is six to one, half a dozen to the other.

We may as well keep Simon Buckley on for another year. Axing him to bring in Jordan Russell is six to one, half a dozen to the other.

Well Simon Buckley has had a few season at the Club and has been Usless and is a List Clogger. Well Russel has not been given a go at us yet

If we were really interested, wouldn't we have just signed him as a free agent? Or did we just hold off so Carlton wouldn't get any compo?

I dont think he has been delisted as yet, neither has Thornton, but i would be surprised if they weren't, meaning clubs have shown no interest in these guys, despite being AFL talent knowing they likely can get them in the PSD for peanuts.

An underwhelming reel for someone who is a FA and has played a time. A handball makes it on there? He's a big kick but to me there's not much of anything about him beside a big kick. Strictly a late pick or rookie if at all.

He ticks more then a big kick.

Puts his body on the line and willing to take a hit to make a spoil, defensively sound.

Great tackler rarely players break his tackles and he has pace to run down the faster players.

Disposal over his career has been solid and is a decent rebounding HBF.

Is hitting his peak years, while our window is open would get a best 22 spot and at worst put a lot of pressure on to perform for our 22 (is an upgrade on Maxwell, O'brien and Johnson in the 22 imo.

Carlton are de-listing him after he won their BnF in 2011 read somewhere he fell out of favour with Ratten in 2012 and couldn't get back in the side despite his form.

In regards to Hickey I think we're in the mix looking to snag Saints pick 13. Might be pick 20 and our picks in the 40s (handing over one or downgrading both) to get the Saints pick 13 and allowing them to use pick 20 to get Hickey. Would give them additional picks in the top 50. I can't see us using all 5 picks this year so I'm expecting us to try to upgrade our picks.

I also think we'll be looking to upgrade in the 1st round. I've been looking closely at the draft order and I think we'll have to part with at least 2 first rounders to upgrade with perhaps a swap of later round picks, no way will someone give us a higher pick if we just offer a first rounder and 42. The clubs who look most likely are those with multiple picks in the top 30

Bulldogs- 5, 6, 22
GWS- 1, 2, 3, 12, 14
St.kilda- 13, 25
Port- 7, 29, 30, 31
Brisbane- 8, 24, 33

eg. Bulldogs Pick 6+22 for our 18+19+21
eg. GWS Pick 12+14 for our 18+19+21
or Pick 3 for 18+19+21
eg. St.kilda Pick 13+24 for our 18+19+42
eg. Port Pick 7 for our 18+19
eg. Lions Pick 8+24+33 for 18+19+21

Just a few examples of deals that other teams might be interested in. Personally i'd prefer the highlighted trades as I believe the quality between 5 and 15 to be very even. However this is all in the case of Collingwood wanting to upgrade our picks, i'd be very happy just to keep 18, 19 and 21

20 and 45 for Saints 13 so they can use them on Hickey seems fair...or is that just my bias shining through? Both sides would get what they want?

I also think we'll be looking to upgrade in the 1st round. I've been looking closely at the draft order and I think we'll have to part with at least 2 first rounders to upgrade with perhaps a swap of later round picks, no way will someone give us a higher pick if we just offer a first rounder and 42. The clubs who look most likely are those with multiple picks in the top 30

Bulldogs- 5, 6, 22
GWS- 1, 2, 3, 12, 14
St.kilda- 13, 25
Port- 7, 29, 30, 31
Brisbane- 8, 24, 33

eg. Bulldogs Pick 6+22 for our 18+19+21
eg. GWS Pick 12+14 for our 18+19+21
or Pick 3 for 18+19+21
eg. St.kilda Pick 13+24 for our 18+19+42
eg. Port Pick 7 for our 18+19
eg. Lions Pick 8+24+33 for 18+19+21

Just a few examples of deals that other teams might be interested in. Personally i'd prefer the highlighted trades as I believe the quality between 5 and 15 to be very even. However this is all in the case of Collingwood wanting to upgrade our picks, i'd be very happy just to keep 18, 19 and 21
If you were those other clubs would you do those deals, I know I wouldn't

Maybe you just need to examine Walsh's words a bit more closely.
People (you included) make assumptions that what he said means something he didn't say
I'm not making any assumptions. Our TTP and recruiting is our business, if he wants to spin words (which he does) and lead them on a merry path....great. But people just need to take what he says a lot of the time with a grain of salt.

I'm not just talking the trade period....he gives the media nothing on injures too. Which is great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not making any assumptions. Our TTP and recruiting is our business, if he wants to spin words (which he does) and lead them on a merry path....great. But people just need to take what he says a lot of the time with a grain of salt.

I'm not just talking the trade period....he gives the media nothing on injures too. Which is great.
In particular regarding trading, what are you saying Walsh told an untruth about?

As I understand it he said we were not going to do anymore trades the day after the deal with Melbourne was complete.
Unless I've missed something we haven't done anymore trading.

Or is there something else he said that, turned out not to be true, that you are eluding to?

In particular regarding trading, what are you saying Walsh told an untruth about?

As I understand it he said we were not going to do anymore trades the day after the deal with Melbourne was complete.
Unless I've missed something we haven't done anymore trading.

Or is there something else he said that, turned out not to be true, that you are eluding to?
Asked on Wednesday morning if the Pies still had Young in their sights during Gillette AFL Trade Period, Collingwood director of football Geoff Walsh said he considered their player movement finished.

"I think we're pretty much done and dusted," Walsh told SEN radio on Wednesday morning.

"We'll be happy to go the draft with three selections in the top group.

See what I mean about spinning words....I just don't take much of what he says as the whole truth...nothing more.

I took Walsh's comments in the same way as Baltimore Jack but reckon he was good with his wording - used the words done and dusted but quickly linked it to the draft picks.

Either he knew we had Young signed up or just wanted to elude to the draft picks we had without giving too much up.

I reckon that will be the end of it for us now unless something ridiculous comes up like the Swans changing their stance on Luke Parker if they need another pick to get the Tippett trade done. I'd happily give one of those first 3 picks we have for Parker.

I took Walsh's comments in the same way as Baltimore Jack but reckon he was good with his wording - used the words done and dusted but quickly linked it to the draft picks.

Either he knew we had Young signed up or just wanted to elude to the draft picks we had without giving too much up.

I reckon that will be the end of it for us now unless something ridiculous comes up like the Swans changing their stance on Luke Parker if they need another pick to get the Tippett trade done. I'd happily give one of those first 3 picks we have for Parker.
If Hine believes that there isn't any quality talent outside 18, 19 & 21....then we may trade 42 & 48 for a player we need for depth or role.

Don't get me wrong....I didn't think much of it. I said to my mate....Young on Friday will be in a collngwood jumper....just think a lot of people believe everything he says like its 100% truth. Everyone will interpret it differently.

I agree that if the talent doesnt stretch in the draft far past 20 then lets use the picks on mature ages hiding in quality leagues around the Country or recycling players who have AFL experience like Isles, Russell etc...Where is Leon Davis at, is he still fit and could we lure him back!

My worry surrounds a ruckman to back up Jolly, but I do have more faith than most in Woods...maybe it's hope actually which can kill!

Asked on Wednesday morning if the Pies still had Young in their sights during Gillette AFL Trade Period, Collingwood director of football Geoff Walsh said he considered their player movement finished.

"I think we're pretty much done and dusted," Walsh told SEN radio on Wednesday morning.

"We'll be happy to go the draft with three selections in the top group.

See what I mean about spinning words....I just don't take much of what he says as the whole truth...nothing more.

I've bolded the 4 most significant words.

Walsh was asked a question about the trade period which he answered honestly by the looks of things considering he ruled us out of any play on Hickey. Finally considering the Gillette AFL Trade Period is completely separate from FA, which is how we recruited Young, I just don't see how you could possibly be reading anything different into what he's saying.

So I'm with Baltimore here...

I've bolded the 4 most significant words.

Walsh was asked a question about the trade period which he answered honestly by the looks of things considering he ruled us out of any play on Hickey. Finally considering the Gillette AFL Trade Period is completely separate from FA, which is how we recruited Young, I just don't see how you could possibly be reading anything different into what he's saying.

So I'm with Baltimore here...
When they said the Gillette AFL Trade Period, i don't think they were implying that we were going to trade for Young.

Regardless of the way you or I have interpreted what he said, he has a tendency to spin his words and give nothing way to the media...which I like. I just personally wouldn't take EVERYTHING he says on face value. IMO.

When they said the Gillette AFL Trade Period, i don't think they were implying that we were going to trade for Young.

Regardless of the way you or I have interpreted what he said, he has a tendency to spin his words and give nothing way to the media...which I like. I just personally wouldn't take EVERYTHING he says on face value. IMO.

Also I think you'll find most journos took it as we were done. Including the bloke that asked the question at Young's presser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back