Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing about Hinkley that kills me is how much he manifests the reality of opposition sides beating us in a certain space.

He said it pre game and banged on about it post game, how good GCs intercept markers are and were. You could clearly see how much that was in our players heads and how much our ball movement going forward was just disgraceful, errors and poor decisions all over the place as we got to that last kick and basically played straight into their hands.

We do this all the time. We go in with this paranoia about the oppositions strengths and we manifest it into occurring. We are so friggin mentally weak and so poorly coached, that rather than thinking about how they'll need to stop us, we think about how we have to avoid their stopping of us. It's a completely wrong mentality, and realistically is probably highlighted by the fact we basically play 3 defensive forwards every week. I mean who else in the comp stacks their forward line full of players, playing defensive roles. It's ridiculous.
Do you think that he is saying .....don't do this, but then doesn't offer up any viable alternatives because to me in the first half it was back to if in doubt bomb it to Dixon. At half time we seemed to look more for lead ups but there was + 1 defender and Dixon and Lord appear not to be able to do lead up very well and Finlayson was sometimes in the ruck, sometimes back, sometimes anonymous

The fact that going on a deep finals run could save him, to me means that's virtually the most likely scenario, because daddy and his boys always do just enough to keep his job.

The realist in me says he's gone once its mathematically impossible and the club moves on the back of mass supporter dissatisfaction.

The optimist says we lose to Richmond on the back of the loudest boos yet, and the club moves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i still think we play finals, lose the elimination final and part ways with Hinkley.

If we make the eight there’s no way they’ve got the croutons to do that, regardless of what the ultimate outcome is.

At most we might get a Parkin-Brittain situation where Hinkley is coach in name only while Carr does everything.

None of the 5 games that follow this weekend's game present as the type of game we would ever win, even in recent seasons when we've stacked a relatively large number of wins. We would need to win at least 2 but probably 3 of these fixtures to make it. We're not making it.

To answer your points. A loss against Richmond is the lowest point that you can get for a team that was expected to make the 8 and more so the top 4. Currently, the happy clappers are on Ken's side; a lost to Richmond, and he’s lost them. The media can say the club is capitulating to the ‘outside noise’ all they like, but they know that the writing is on the wall for Ken. You need to do your due diligence, so we’ll try Josh sitting in the big chair. We need to put Josh in the hot seat; we won’t know how to set ourselves up for the future otherwise.
We lost to Brisbane (17th) and Carlton (18th) in 2015.

Losing to Richmond this week wouldn't even be the first time Ken has rolled out a failure against the Wooden spooner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of the 5 games that follow this weekend's game present as the type of game we would ever win, even in recent seasons when we've stacked a relatively large number of wins. We would need to win at least 2 but probably 3 of these fixtures to make it. We're not making it.
The Showdown does. Feels a lot like Robbie Gray's farewell at the end of 2022.

One thing about Hinkley that kills me is how much he manifests the reality of opposition sides beating us in a certain space.
Hinkley put it in the player's minds last Thursday that we were going to lose.

"We will need to be at our absolute best. .... It would be a massive win for us [if by some miracle we actually win]."

A successful coach instills a belief in their players that they can win. Not old loser Daddy Donuts though.

If they don't sack him, it will mean one of two things:
1) they go on a deep finals run
2) they deviate from their current plan

Or 3) people were being duplicitous about the plan to kick the can along the road and deflect criticism.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Finlayson has been playing injured which his form might suggest he has been, is this another case of a late season capitulation with cooked players. Learnings Donuts Learnings.

So, if this is the case, and Cox is not interested in the Eagles gig, does this mean Carr will be on their radar? Will this spook Port into making a call on Hinkley?
The only call port will be spooked into making is extending his bloody contract again...
"Kochy...it's the weagles they're after me. What's that Donna..you want me to hand over the phone so you can yell at him again?"
Next minute...Ken's here till 2028

Before the Showdown when he said ‘history tells us you have to be at your absolute best to get a result from these games [while risking Rozee on a 6-day hammy]’.

You can literally see our poor cherubs filling their dacks with self-doubt the instant they realise they’re most certainly not ‘bringing their best’.
How do you reckon the fringe players felt after the 2023 semi final, when the great man proclaimed in his presser, "If we'd played the younger players, we would have lost by even more." Way to dent a kid's confidence!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back