Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Campo's assessment on the AA broadcast of the game was great. He wasn't buying into the 'list not good enough' thing either. He laid the whole debacle squarely at the foot of the coach and the ball movement. He was also scathing of the fact Ken has spent the past 18 months on the pine - "get up to the coaches box and do some coaching".

I've really warmed to Campo's analysis this year. Sees the game well. Would be an asset to any coaching group IMO.
Daddy came down to the bunker because he was doing nothing in the box upstairs, apart from drinking diet cola.

We've underperformed our ladder position on the last 5 occasions we've played finals.

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

The media and Hinkley fans point to this as proof that the list just isn't good enough against the big boys. But we know this not to be true. Why?

Because all 7 finals lost in this period of time were against teams we had beaten the previous time we had played them.

It's an open and shut case. The guy can't get his team to perform when it matters. And he should be fired.

We've underperformed our ladder position on the last 5 occasions we've played finals.

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

The media and Hinkley fans point to this as proof that the list just isn't good enough against the big boys. But we know this not to be true. Why?

Because all 7 finals lost in this period of time were against teams we had beaten the previous time we had played them.

It's an open and shut case. The guy can't get his team to perform when it matters. And he should be fired.

Has David Koch seen this data?

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

I think we actually land 4th this year because Geelong beat us so they'll be 3rd. So every year besides 2021 we've fallen 2 places in finals.

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

The last two years have been particularly damning - we absolutely belted GWS and Sydney in the lead up to the '23/'24 finals respectively.

Yet we were never in either finals contest and even worse, I was resigned to the fact we were never winning either of those games before the ball was even bounced.

Last edited:
Listened to the latest ABC AFL Daily episode. Paul Roos gave a fair assessment, essentially not buying into the "list isn't good enough" sentiment. Was refreshing to hear.

Very good.

He even mentions that Ken's had multiple squads capable of winning a flag.

"anyone who knows football knows that they have as much talent as Brisbane, Sydney or Geelong. No question in my mind about that... a senior coach's job is to maximise the talent they have"

The list question is just wrong.

I keep thinking about Ken's "whole club thing" comment. Is he talking about list management? He'd probably say that it's about unity or everyone finding small improvement, but that sounds bullshit. The comment was very strange and was pretty galling, together with the 'just a figurehead' comments. A token figurehead who we're paying 900k and seem incapable of replacing. I remember some random article that mentioned that Port should've been pissed about these comments but there's been barely a mention in the media about it.

Interested if it ruffled any feathers inside the club. Maybe Chewy316 knows

Selwood did some work with the leaders at Port Adelaide this season:

Yes & results showed it had a fair impact for a while with players placing more emphasis on playing their role for the team rather than acting as a bunch of individuals. Unfortunately, things reverted back to type after a period.

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

the Western Bulldogs haven’t won in Adelaide in 5 subsequent attempts since the 2021 Prelim — against Port, the Crows, or neutral Gather Round opponents — as free men.

but we’re relentlessly told by Kane Cornes and RoCo that the list wasn’t good enough (on that particular night, exposed by Hotel Detainees missing key personnel of their own),

it’s laughable.

I keep thinking about Ken's "whole club thing" comment. Is he talking about list management? He'd probably say that it's about unity or everyone finding small improvement, but that sounds bullshit. The comment was very strange and was pretty galling, together with the 'just a figurehead' comments. A token figurehead who we're paying 900k and seem incapable of replacing. I remember some random article that mentioned that Port should've been pissed about these comments but there's been barely a mention in the media about it.

Yep, this caught my attention too. You acknowledge that each coach in the club plays an integral role in the club's success and fortunes at some point. Usually internally, or in some way where good work gets recognised.

But for him to diminish his responsibility as senior coach in that moment seemed disingenuous to me. Your influence is either a majority or a minority here.

I worked at a company where an executive came in and told us miminum wage workers: "Everyone's important at the company, from the cleaner to the CEO".

It's not true though, the top dog accepts responsibility and ownership when mistakes are made because their job title and pay will reflect that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'just a bit of luck' comment was also weak and was the wrong attitude to take leading in. No surprise they played like they were just waiting for someone else to take responsibility.

let's say we give him credit for being close to a GF in 14 and 20. Just a kick out, damn. That still leaves 4 years where we haven't been remotely close to seriously contending. That's still a fair stint for a new coach to show that their method can bring success.

2017 - from 5th to 7th
2020 - from 1st to 3rd
2021 - from 2nd to 3rd
2023 - from 3rd to 5th
2024 - from 2nd to 3rd

Can you ring Derwayne Russel on his stupid SEN show and read that out.
I'm sick of hearing the campaigner defend Ken

I understand wanting to run a full recruitment process, but the thing is, Richmond and West Coast have already done this in the last few months. Both have identified that Carr is comfortably the best available. Why would we run another process only to come up with the same conclusion?

Richmond and West Coast may be at the bottom of the ladder right now, but they are both clubs that have had recent premiership success and know how to get it done. Our club doesn’t. If we ran our own process, I’d be more worried we’d pick the wrong person than the right one that we are fortunate enough to have sitting right under our nose.

I understand wanting to run a full recruitment process, but the thing is, Richmond and West Coast have already done this in the last few months. Both have identified that Carr is comfortably the best available. Why would we run another process only to come up with the same conclusion?
Huh? How do you know this? Was Carr interviewed?

Very good.

He even mentions that Ken's had multiple squads capable of winning a flag.

"anyone who knows football knows that they have as much talent as Brisbane, Sydney or Geelong. No question in my mind about that... a senior coach's job is to maximise the talent they have"

The list question is just wrong.

Roos could 100% get a flag with our list. Probably multiple in 12 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back