Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I think JHF on the bench is far from the worst sin we’ve committed on Thursday. Even if it was wrong, in midway Q2, we were pretty much on the game. We’ve made it irrelevant.

Then, even though they’d gotten some momentum, we kicked the last goal before HT. The difference went down to 20pts before the main break. It’s still 3.2, considerable, but not insurmountable with 2 quarters to play.

We should have gone to the lockers thinking that we had them at striking distance. Why did we not? That’s the actual question.

Sydney were down by more (21) than Port (20). Sydney came back to win. Port capitulated.

It's all mental with this group.

As a Saints supporter with ties to Port Adelaide.

Preface this by saying I understand this will never be accepted by Ken Hinkley but is it better for himself or the board to simply make the decision now on his future?

Why not come out and say regardless of result he will not be there in 2025.

That takes the pressure off the result and the ‘hoodoo’ and it then it can become a positive story of what can the group do -if they love him so much to send him off in style and with a premiership.

Theres plenty of cases of this happening post announcement like Clarkson, Dimma etc when players know its their last game the mindset shifts.

Also if whats reported is true regarding the result dictating his future, surely thats not the case? If you can’t make the decision based on 10 years+ and 25 weeks of football what more information will you get from an additional game?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The unfathomable depths of Hinkley’s narcissism would prevent this from ever happening. His ego is just too big.

I think JHF on the bench is far from the worst sin we’ve committed on Thursday. Even if it was wrong, in midway Q2, we were pretty much on the game. We’ve made it irrelevant.

Then, even though they’d gotten some momentum, we kicked the last goal before HT. The difference went down to 20pts before the main break. It’s still 3.2, considerable, but not insurmountable with 2 quarters to play.

We should have gone to the lockers thinking that we had them at striking distance. Why did we not? That’s the actual question.
Inspirational half time talk?

Something like this….

“What a pathetic performance. Half the game over. We’ve been thrashed ... One thing is to be beaten, another thing is to be beaten the way you blokes have been beaten. Willie, you’re in the forward pocket this time ...

Now look, one bloke went out on the flank and battled against three, and I don’t know what in the name of fortune you’re doing, there's only one thing in football and that's to get in and fight for the ball.Fight for the bal!! You're a disgrace to the name of Rioli, the way you’re not fighting. All the year, if you fight for the ball you’ll get a few. If you hope you won't.

Connor, a player can be beaten for half a game and come back in the second half. Now you've got to get your eye on the ball and use your tremendous ability to get the ball. At first when you get it you'll have to kick it because you haven't had many kicks. Get it and kick it and don’t expect anything else. Get the ball and kick the ball and kick it long.

How many times have Geelong kicked out, and the rover, or the ruck-rover has been completely on his own? There’s the indicator, there's the barometer of the way you're playing. Not enough puff to run there and stop the pass. And then you wonder why it goes bang, bang, bang, up the ground. No, throw it on to your team-mate further on.

'We're so far into the mess that we have to be desperate to get out of it. And we will not get out of it with kick-and-mark football. Knock the ball towards our goals and anybody who takes a mark, handball on, handball on, one handball and kick the cover off it.

Have you got that? One handball and kick the cover off it. I wonder how many blokes are prepared to go totally with me and take the risk. It couldn’t be worse than it is. It's disgraceful out there running along pushing blokes after they get rid of the ball, running over the, over the mark, on the, on the back line and giving them 50 meters on the back line. Get the ball, if you take a mark, you've got the ball under control. We've been through it fifty times. Go back, have your kick.

I've seen Jason on his own over there, but nah, don’t kick it to him, don’t handpass it, run on and kick it, over the man on the mark, and give it to him if it's on. Better still if there's a man coming past give him the ball. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, at least you’re doing what I asked and at least I'm responsible. But I'm not responsible for the gutless, witless display that's going on out there. I don’t know how you can, you can, face one another and carry on as you're carrying on out there.

Now positively, Jordan Sweet up and knock the ball with us, with us, all the time, right? Anybody who takes a mark take the risk and hand-pass, and players without the ball you must have the initiative to come past, but don’t all come past and no one go in, that’s half the trouble.

There’s a lot of blokes prepared to run past but not too many are prepared to go in. Go in, get the ball and blokes come past for the handball. Take the risk, if you make the mistake, if you do it and it doesn't come off, do it again. Do it again. And keep doing it. Keep doing it!

That way, we'll either get beaten by twenty goals or we'll win. This way we can’t win. We can’t win this way. We can’t win by doing what you blokes are doing. Play virile strong football, put your bodies in to get the ball. That’s the first thing. If you're in the pack no messying about, no three votes, knock it towards our goal, that's the only, only, way to do. If you take a mark, and you hear the call, give him the ball, give him the ball. If he gets into trouble, back him up, give him the ball and run after him like we do in training. That way we've got a chance. This way we've got none.

You stay on the ball Zak, put your body in all the time, down the back line, knock the ball out towards our goals, on the forward line over the back as I said before.

Do. Don't think, Charlie, don’t hope. Do. At least you can come off and say, 'I did this, I shepherded, I played on. At least I did something for the sake of the side. Do. Act. Don’t think, act. Eye on the ball. The contest is still the same. You must win the ball to win the match. And more than that, when you win the ball you must cooperate with fellas coming past. And you must be desperate enough to stick with me and do it. The crowd might laugh. It might go wrong. I'm game enough to tell you to do it. Are you game enough to back me up? Are you game enough, Boaky, to back me up on that?

It was a weird thing to say. According to him we're too defensive of Ken. What??
No, I don't think it had anything to do with Ken.

Just the club.

He was arguing that the fanbase is unwilling to listen to criticisms of the club's performance, which Lyon outlined.

Honestly, the comment was reflective of Lyon's Vic bias.

He doesn't listen to 5aa, see the Adelaide papers and might not even pay attention to SEN's SA content.

He just seems to have a vague notion that Port supporters are angry and appears to think it's just the outside world that they are angry with (the kind that DO defend Ken to the hilt on radio).

That said, Lyon did otherwise offer the kind of analysis of Port's playing/Ken's coaching that is worth listening to.

He should avoid mentioning the fanbase because he simply doesn't have a nuanced view on them.

Inspirational half time talk?

Something like this….

"What a pathetic performance. Half the game over. We’ve been thrashed ... One thing is to be beaten, another thing is to be beaten the way you blokes have been beaten. Willie, you’re in the forward pocket this time ...

Now look, one bloke went out on the flank and battled against three, and I don’t know what in the name of fortune you’re doing, there's only one thing in football and that's to get in and fight for the ball.Fight for the bal!! You're a disgrace to the name of Rioli, the way you’re not fighting. All the year, if you fight for the ball you’ll get a few. If you hope you won't.

Connor, a player can be beaten for half a game and come back in the second half. Now you've got to get your eye on the ball and use your tremendous ability to get the ball. At first when you get it you'll have to kick it because you haven't had many kicks. Get it and kick it and don’t expect anything else. Get the ball and kick the ball and kick it long.

How many times have Geelong kicked out, and the rover, or the ruck-rover has been completely on his own? There’s the indicator, there's the barometer of the way you're playing. Not enough puff to run there and stop the pass. And then you wonder why it goes bang, bang, bang, up the ground. No, throw it on to your team-mate further on.

'We're so far into the mess that we have to be desperate to get out of it. And we will not get out of it with kick-and-mark football. Knock the ball towards our goals and anybody who takes a mark, handball on, handball on, one handball and kick the cover off it.

Have you got that? One handball and kick the cover off it. I wonder how many blokes are prepared to go totally with me and take the risk. It couldn’t be worse than it is. It's disgraceful out there running along pushing blokes after they get rid of the ball, running over the, over the mark, on the, on the back line and giving them 50 meters on the back line. Get the ball, if you take a mark, you've got the ball under control. We've been through it fifty times. Go back, have your kick.

I've seen Jason on his own over there, but nah, don’t kick it to him, don’t handpass it, run on and kick it, over the man on the mark, and give it to him if it's on. Better still if there's a man coming past give him the ball. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, at least you’re doing what I asked and at least I'm responsible. But I'm not responsible for the gutless, witless display that's going on out there. I don’t know how you can, you can, face one another and carry on as you're carrying on out there.

Now positively, Jordan Sweet up and knock the ball with us, with us, all the time, right? Anybody who takes a mark take the risk and hand-pass, and players without the ball you must have the initiative to come past, but don’t all come past and no one go in, that’s half the trouble.

There’s a lot of blokes prepared to run past but not too many are prepared to go in. Go in, get the ball and blokes come past for the handball. Take the risk, if you make the mistake, if you do it and it doesn't come off, do it again. Do it again. And keep doing it. Keep doing it!

That way, we'll either get beaten by twenty goals or we'll win. This way we can’t win. We can’t win this way. We can’t win by doing what you blokes are doing. Play virile strong football, put your bodies in to get the ball. That’s the first thing. If you're in the pack no messying about, no three votes, knock it towards our goal, that's the only, only, way to do. If you take a mark, and you hear the call, give him the ball, give him the ball. If he gets into trouble, back him up, give him the ball and run after him like we do in training. That way we've got a chance. This way we've got none.

You stay on the ball Zak, put your body in all the time, down the back line, knock the ball out towards our goals, on the forward line over the back as I said before.

Do. Don't think, Charlie, don’t hope. Do. At least you can come off and say, 'I did this, I shepherded, I played on. At least I did something for the sake of the side. Do. Act. Don’t think, act. Eye on the ball. The contest is still the same. You must win the ball to win the match. And more than that, when you win the ball you must cooperate with fellas coming past. And you must be desperate enough to stick with me and do it. The crowd might laugh. It might go wrong. I'm game enough to tell you to do it. Are you game enough to back me up? Are you game enough, Boaky, to back me up on that?
"

Quoting, because I couldn't love it twice.

---
"[...] That way, we'll either get beaten by twenty goals or we'll win..."

This is the only part I would leave it out. You may not win, but you won't get beaten by twenty goals.

The team will be prepared for its own mistakes. A play fails, the team switches to defense; but the aggressive mode stays on, regardless.

You make them worry about you. You make them second-guess the right play. You make them err too. Then, you get the ball and go again.

They won't have the opportunity to be 20 goals up.

As a Saints supporter with ties to Port Adelaide.

Preface this by saying I understand this will never be accepted by Ken Hinkley but is it better for himself or the board to simply make the decision now on his future?

Why not come out and say regardless of result he will not be there in 2025.

That takes the pressure off the result and the ‘hoodoo’ and it then it can become a positive story of what can the group do -if they love him so much to send him off in style and with a premiership.

Theres plenty of cases of this happening post announcement like Clarkson, Dimma etc when players know its their last game the mindset shifts.

Also if whats reported is true regarding the result dictating his future, surely thats not the case? If you can’t make the decision based on 10 years+ and 25 weeks of football what more information will you get from an additional game?

Mate, it's impossible to understand, unless you accept the fact that these decisions aren't taken considering what's best for the club.

This is not the first time that your question pops up. We all have made it. This has been going on for years.

This is "Sack Hinkley 12". It has 11 predecessors. Before them, there were THREE "I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley" threads. Each one of those 14 threads is 10,000 posts long.

We have asked your question ("If you can’t make the decision based on [5/6/7/8/9]10 years+ and 25 weeks of football what more information will you get from an additional game?") 140,000 times already. Yet, here we are...

Not true. With JHF on the bench Geelong got the start they needed to get their tails up and the doubt was allowed to creep into our players. Watch the first stoppage of the game. Butters gives it to Drew who is out and inexplicably fumbles. If that is JHF that doesn't happen plus it gets him immediately into the game. We got back into it in the first quarter when JHF came on. Would we have won the game if JHF starts on the ground, I'd say no based on what unfolded. But you don't start arguably our biggest trump card on the ****ing bench. It handed Geelong the momentum they wanted immediately. Can also say the same about putting Aliir on Cameron.

Same thing happened in the second quarter. Geelong's bad goal kicking kept us in it, JHF came on and we made a move. Unfortunately it didn't hold and Geelong finally kicked straight and the game was over at half-time.

So in terms of bad coaching moves the JHF move was arguably the worse. Then it was repeated. That just compounds the mistake.

I was a bonehead Thursday night and went up to the Fox Footy post game panel and yelled out “you know what to do Kingy”

He shot back the slyest most cheeky grin before quickly looking back down at his notes. He’ll make sure to sink the boot into Ken. Seems to be the only media personality unafraid to have a jab.

Haha, I yelled out "Give 'em hell Kingy" as I left too.

He's literally the lone voice.

Not true. With JHF on the bench Geelong got the start they needed to get their tails up and the doubt was allowed to creep into our players. Watch the first stoppage of the game. Butters gives it to Drew who is out and inexplicably fumbles. If that is JHF that doesn't happen plus it gets him immediately into the game. We got back into it in the first quarter when JHF came on. Would we have won the game if JHF starts on the ground, I'd say no based on what unfolded. But you don't start arguably our biggest trump card on the ****ing bench. It handed Geelong the momentum they wanted immediately. Can also say the same about putting Aliir on Cameron.

Same thing happened in the second quarter. Geelong's bad goal kicking kept us in it, JHF came on and we made a move. Unfortunately it didn't hold and Geelong finally kicked straight and the game was over at half-time.

So in terms of bad coaching moves the JHF move was arguably the worse. Then it was repeated. That just compounds the mistake.

I'm not arguing that it was right. I'm saying that, even though we might not have won the game in the first half, we lost it in the second half.

If we hadn't been ahead during the second quarter, this would be a different conversation; but we were.

The game started with them all over us (1/1.0:6 to 8/3.5:23). However, we've responded. The next stretch, from a Georgiades' behind in Q1 to the McEntee's goal in Q2, went 9/4.5:29 to 3/1.2:8 in our favor. We went from 17 points down to 4 points up.

That's a game. It was 10/5.5:35 to 11/4.7:31. It could go either way. We've erased any advantage they could have had with JHF on the bench at the start.

Then, they've regained control and kicked 5 unanswered goals. This was their best moment in the game up to that point. In that time alone, the score was 1/0.1:1 to 7/5.2:32. Thus, late in Q2, they had a 27-point lead.

Before HT, though, we had a couple scores, bringing the difference down to 20. At HT, the score was 13/6.7:43 to 18/9.9:63. Again, despite losing, we ended Q2 on high. Moreover, despite losing, we had shown being able to take control of the game. This is what seems to matter the most to me.

Why have we capitulated then? How could we have capitulated the way we did? Who else would have capitulated in similar circumstances?

Although it shouldn't have been a question, we've ultimatelly answered the JHF-on-the-bench question on the field. The other questions, however, are still open. At least, I have no answer for them.

--

The game:

ill enjoy Timmy g sitting on the fence being too weak to have a crack.

If you read this Timmy G you should hang your head in shame..Time to stand up and commentate like you played
last Fridays post game coverage was pathetic, down to the screened calls, and, Ken defending and the Koch gobbling. But, they've been put on a leash by the station and the club and probably the afl too.

it's a pressure point when you've gotta pay the bills.

I've heard indirectly that they don't like it....but in the meantime they're still cashing those AA cheques right

maybe it's time for a live fan commentary via YouTube and post game call. just hard to manage the legal risk that's all. I guess we have it here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not arguing that it was right. I'm saying that, even though we might not have won the game in the first half, we lost it in the second half.

If we hadn't been ahead during the second quarter, this would be a different conversation; but we were.

The game started with them all over us (1/1.0:6 to 8/3.5:23). However, we've responded. The next stretch, from a Georgiades' behind in Q1 to the McEntee's goal in Q2, went 9/4.5:29 to 3/1.2:8 in our favor. We went from 17 points down to 4 points up.

That's a game. It was 10/5.5:35 to 11/4.7:31. It could go either way. We've erased any advantage they could have had with JHF on the bench at the start.

Then, they've regained control and kicked 5 unanswered goals. This was their best moment in the game up to that point. In that time alone, the score was 1/0.1:1 to 7/5.2:32. Thus, late in Q2, they had a 27-point lead.

Before HT, though, we had a couple scores, bringing the difference down to 20. At HT, the score was 13/6.7:43 to 18/9.9:63. Again, despite losing, we ended Q2 on high. Moreover, despite losing, we had shown being able to take control of the game. This is what seems to matter the most to me.

Why have we capitulated then? How could we have capitulated the way we did? Who else would have capitulated in similar circumstances?

Although it shouldn't have been a question, we've ultimatelly answered the JHF-on-the-bench question on the field. The other questions, however, are still open. At least, I have no answer for them.

--

The game:
It was over at halftime. At the ground, you could see it when our players walked off defeated. They were never coming back that last surge from Geelong. It had knocked the stuffing out of them.

The simple answer is that the players gave up. For whatever reason they didn't want to fight or show any pride in their performance. You could feel it at the ground when the realisation came across the crowd that Butters was subbed out after halftime.

I'm not only blaming the players here either. They were poorly coached and given a structure and gameplay that fell into Geelong's hands. Geelong were brilliant and played brilliantly to seize upon that but I do wonder if the players quit cause the game plan they were given was doomed to fail. Who knows.

A little part of me is gonna be sad when this over this week. We have had alot of fun along the way at Hinkleys expense. The dark humour and memes will be sorely missed but i'm sure we will find something else.
Even if Hinkley goes, we still have a CEO and president to sack.

It was over at halftime. At the ground, you could see it when our players walked off defeated...

The simple answer is that the players gave up...

Yes. Those are the facts that must be addressed. The "simple answer" is not an answer, but the ground for the questions.

No, I don't think it had anything to do with Ken.

Just the club.

He was arguing that the fanbase is unwilling to listen to criticisms of the club's performance, which Lyon outlined.

Honestly, the comment was reflective of Lyon's Vic bias.

He doesn't listen to 5aa, see the Adelaide papers and might not even pay attention to SEN's SA content.

He just seems to have a vague notion that Port supporters are angry and appears to think it's just the outside world that they are angry with (the kind that DO defend Ken to the hilt on radio).

That said, Lyon did otherwise offer the kind of analysis of Port's playing/Ken's coaching that is worth listening to.

He should avoid mentioning the fanbase because he simply doesn't have a nuanced view on them.

You could have just said Gary Lyon is a ****wad. We would have understood.

I've been saying for DECADES that we as a football club, and many failure-prone football clubs, for that matter, do not value psychology, and the services of sports psychologists, anywhere near enough.

Brazil national team was pioneer on the front in the late 1950's. But even we have dropped it. We thought we could win without it. Go figure...

last Fridays post game coverage was pathetic, down to the screened calls, and, Ken defending and the Koch gobbling. But, they've been put on a leash by the station and the club and probably the afl too.

I've heard indirectly that they don't like it....but in the meantime they're still cashing those AA cheques right

maybe it's time for a live fan commentary via YouTube and post game call. just hard to manage the legal risk that's all. I guess we have it here

I think your absolutely right. I think the pot has been simmering for sometime since Rowe said last year that he'd drink the tears of Port supporters. Then I think the thing that broke the camel back was the whole good call debacle and the h2h between Caro and Tredders the Thursday after the loss to Brisbane, and since then key figureheads potentially from the club, maybe even Caro herself must have threatened AA that if things don’t improve, they will boycott the station. That’s just my take anyway.

I mentioned this in other threads, but does Timmy G still do the halftime at games (I wouldn't know, I'm still on boycott). If so, he's a paid club shill. Tredrea has put himself onto the board, I can accept that he might be doing X things to turn the club around internally, but externally he isn't going to shit on the club (per Kochie's charter and, lets face it, board directors don't do that in public).

We don't deserve the Rowes and Corneses and KGs of the world, but shit me there must be some competent special comments people that can provide decent insights that aren't having the club directly or indirectly butter their bread.

Yes. Those are the facts that must be addressed. The "simple answer" is not an answer, but the ground for the questions.
If we had that answer we'd be making a fortune in sports psychology and not posting on here.

My belief is the club is afraid of the big moments. It's been this way since 2001. Our finals failures aren't exclusive to Hinkley. It happened in 2001-03. The 2007 GF loss did huge damage to the club. Now Hinkley's failures in recent seasons just add to the issue. There's something wrong with the club when the stakes are their highest.

It's a club issue and has been for years. What causes it I don't know.

If we had that answer we'd be making a fortune in sports psychology and not posting on here.

My belief is the club is afraid of the big moments. It's been this way since 2001. Our finals failures aren't exclusive to Hinkley. It happened in 2001-03. The 2007 GF loss did huge damage to the club. Now Hinkley's failures in recent seasons just add to the issue. There's something wrong with the club when the stakes are their highest.

It's a club issue and has been for years. What causes it I don't know.

Yep. I've just posted that we are probably AFL's greatest underachievers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back