Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article in today's Age. And I've broken the BF rules about plagiarism in presenting here but fine me.

The Ken Hinkley/PAFC fine from AFL House - what really went down:

The officials scratched their heads, trying to conjure up just the right number.

“What feels right? We gave the Giants $20k for Jase McCartney chesting Tommy Papley. Bloody hell that was only last week, don’t these blokes learn?”

“Ken didn’t make contact with anyone, so maybe less? A reprimand?”

“Reprimand?” one splurted. “Right you, out. Go find us some of those custard pastries. No, it needs to be financial, these people only understand money.”

“Can we fine Sicily? I mean, he was yelling back ...”

“I like your thinking, but I’m not sure he actually did anything wrong. No, it’s got to be $20k for Ken too, we can’t have this sort of thing. We’ll call it ‘conduct unbecoming’. He’s incensed the Hawks and their fans.”

MEANWHILE....In another room across the building, the fixturing department arrive. They walk into the room and high five each other.

“Woohoo! Kennnny delivers!”

“Camperdown Ken, you beauty. Finally, a Port game people in Melbourne want to watch. Better put that one on nice and early next year. Imagine the crowd we’ll get!”

“Cripes, we got 98,000 to the Hawthorn-Bulldogs elimination final, and they don’t even hate each other. We’ll get an extra 20,000 for this. We haven’t had fans hate another coach since Sheeds! Can we put them on opening round?”

“Hmm. Not sure it’d fly in Sydney. See what I did there – fly?” (The executive sticks his arms out, mimicking Ken mimicking a toddler mimicking a plane.)

“OK, Gather Round maybe?”

“No, if we wanted to waste it we’d get Port to play Adelaide in Gather Round. It’s just that sort of talk we don’t need. We’ll fill Adelaide Oval with tourists against Port that week anyway.”

“Launceston? Bit of spice for a Tassie game?”

“I thought I made it clear that sort of talk was not helpful. We’ve given them a team, that should be enough.

“What about The ’G round one? We could work that up all summer.”

“Done.”

“We could give away cardboard cutouts of aeroplanes for the crowd ...”

“Only if they’re Virgin planes.

“We could get Virgin to pay for the cutouts.”

“What about a paper plane competition at half-time for the kiddies? Virgin can buy the paper.”

“Good idea. How will Toyota feel, though?”

“Hmm. We’ll get the kids to throw the paper planes from the back of HiLuxes?”

“Done. Now go and tell football to fine Hinkley, would you?”

Full credit and acknowledgement to:

Is this accurate Chewy316

Well Port haven't had any internal meetings to endorse Ken for 2025.
And realistically, if Robbo contacted any of the big wigs at the Club, what would you expect them to say on the record? They're certainly not going to say "Ken's position will be reviewed at the end of the season" - that would create major drama and unnecessary instability the week of a prelim final matchup.

Everyone is in solidarity until they're not.

If Port have an internal meeting and endorse Ken for 2025, I'll let everyone know on here. Right now, it's status quo. Nothing has changed.

Looks like Chewy was at least somewhat wrong:

Although I had a feeling that the semi final win would save him for at least another year.

Looks like Chewy was at least somewhat wrong:

Although I had a feeling that the semi final win would save him for at least another year.
Did you literally read what Chewy just said.
Well Port haven't had any internal meetings to endorse Ken for 2025.
And realistically, if Robbo contacted any of the big wigs at the Club, what would you expect them to say on the record? They're certainly not going to say "Ken's position will be reviewed at the end of the season" - that would create major drama and unnecessary instability the week of a prelim final matchup.

Everyone is in solidarity until they're not.

If Port have an internal meeting and endorse Ken for 2025, I'll let everyone know on here. Right now, it's status quo. Nothing has changed.

Did you literally read what Chewy just said.
Of course I did, but with the consensus from 2 weeks ago saying that anything less than a grand final would leave his job in jeopardy, it looks extremely unlikely that the club would sack him after another prelim appearance.

Since when has Koch been the type to backtrack on his words or take accountability?

Asked if Hinkley’s position for next year was locked in, the Port president told this masthead: “Absolutely it is. It’s always been sorted. He’s our contracted coach for next year.”

Pressed on whether Hinkley would coach Port next year, Koch said: “Yep.”

That's not the usual Koch flowery bloviated endorsement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to be realistic and accept that the likelihood of Hinkley coaching us next year has significantly strengthened after Friday night's win. Maybe it swings back the other way if Sydney belt us in the prelim but right now I know where I'd have my money.

Booooo!

(Fitzroy supporter before port joined the AFL)
season 3 what GIF

Do you think the AFL would have bothered if Sicily and then Sam hadn’t made such a hullabaloo over it? Would be interesting to know.
If Sicily had just told Ken to **** off and then gotten on with chairing Breust off the ground rather than spending the next ten minutes sooking, we wouldn't even know it happened, let alone have a hullabaloo about it.

Also anybody who thought that this club would be sacking Ken if we made a prelim, Chewy posts or no Chewy posts, was ****ing delusional. He'll be here next year. It's time to get used to it and cross your fingers for the unlikely flag.

Also anybody who thought that this club would be sacking Ken if we made a prelim, Chewy posts or no Chewy posts, was ****ing delusional. He'll be here next year. It's time to get used to it and cross your fingers for the unlikely flag.

It's important to point out that Chewy has never said that the club would sack Ken even if we made the prelim - he's said that there are people in significant decision making positions at the club who would still sack him if he got to and lost a prelim.

You can take that whichever way you like but my feeling is that barring a big loss it's unlikely the majority of the decision makers will want to sack him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back