Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all good to say he "sees the game well" but there's absolutely no evidence of that. Every shred of evidence suggests that not only is he a below average AFL coach, he's downright bad. Even this mythical overall "59% win percentage1!1!" is well under where it should considering Port have been topping up for a decade and haven't been in anything remotely close to a rebuild the entire time he's been here.

He doesn't make changes between games or even seasons either though. So when does he apply this ability to read the game?

If he was reading the game well, we wouldn't have shown so little interest in scoring with our strategy over the past decade, a philosophy which has cost us time and time again and may well cost us another time over the next fortnight. He's had 10 years to sort out tactical issues entering the forward 50 and then going into a final against Geelong picks a forwardline that could never succeed under his own gameplan.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree that he reads the game well at all. Or he's so set in his ways that his ability to read the game doesn't matter.

Discussion like this from senior officials at the club honestly just sounds like the usual suspects are softening themselves and each other up to allow yet another season of Ken Hinkley football.
The flame on the cooktop is hot... well read.

I burnt my hand touching the flame... failed game plan.

Year after year I continue to read game well, but believe that by working harder for longer at touching the fire, one day I will hold fire in my hand.

10 years later I still refuse to listen to suggestions that I could just light a match or use a cigarette lighter.

Last edited:

Clearly you lack the comprehension to discern the difference between seeing something and acting on something.
What benefit or even relevance does his apparent ability to 'read the game' have if he doesn't act on it?

We need to stop punishing ourselves, Ken will be here next year for reasons unknown to man.
Unfortunately it seems the people that can make the call on Ken's future at Port, are either weak, scared or stupid, they must be people who find it easier not to make a tough decision and not rock any boats. I feel for Tredda's but let's see if his stance softens any.

Who we gonna get crap isn't even justified when Carr is sitting right there and another year in the passenger seat may do more damage to his profile than good, especially if Port have an average to poor year, imo our draw was one of the easier ones this season. People's faith in Josh may get to the point where you may as well keep Hinkley.
David Koch's 20 year coach.

Wow even the Crows have played in a Grand Final in Ken's tenure at Port and not to long ago they graced themselves with a wooden spoon, make no mistake, Ken has gotten away with this sham because we for the most part have kept a higher position on the ladder than the Crows and wouldn't have been able to build a membership base full of happy Clappers.

Last edited:
At the Family Day earlier this year, Koch was up on the big screen and providing some nonsensical speech.

The thing I most remember was him saying something like "we like to promote from within at Port Adelaide blah blah blah..."

Coming from the supposed business guru I have no idea how this fits in with any best practice ideology. And it's one thing to follow this practice, but telling everyone in attendance, just seemed to me to be next level stupidity.

Clearly you lack the comprehension to discern the difference between seeing something and acting on something.
If you can read the game well, it means you are able to adjust to the game.

It is not that Hinkley is known to adjust poorly in matches, it is that he refuses to adjust from Plan A. He is known especially on these forums to not have a Plan B.

And your conclusions are much worse with your statement because you are essentially saying that Hinkley is a great reader of the game but it is inertia that stop him from doing anything.

Happy clappers are up and about.

"Good news, Ken is staying," they rejoice without even considering that we could lose the Prelim, thus all is for nought.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240919-082627690~2.png
    Screenshot_20240919-082627690~2.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20240919-082721397~2.png
    Screenshot_20240919-082721397~2.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
He doesn't make changes between games or even seasons either though. So when does he apply this ability to read the game?

If he was reading the game well, we wouldn't have shown so little interest in scoring with our strategy over the past decade, a philosophy which has cost us time and time again and may well cost us another time over the next fortnight. He's had 10 years to sort out tactical issues entering the forward 50 and then going into a final against Geelong picks a forwardline that could never succeed under his own gameplan.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree that he reads the game well at all. Or he's so set in his ways that his ability to read the game doesn't matter.

Discussion like this from senior officials at the club honestly just sounds like the usual suspects are softening themselves and each other up to allow yet another season of Ken Hinkley football.

It's this, 100%. He tinkers over the off season and makes a few changes, but as soon as things go a bit pear shape he reverts to type. Happens every season.

Fwiw, the people telling me about Ken's ability to read the game do not want to keep him as coach if it were up to them. This isn't me getting this from a few executives who know nothing about footy and are using this to justify his tenure.

What benefit or even relevance does his apparent ability to 'read the game' have if he doesn't act on it?
Zero benefit. See above reply in this post.

If you can read the game well, it means you are able to adjust to the game.

It is not that Hinkley is known to adjust poorly in matches, it is that he refuses to adjust from Plan A. He is known especially on these forums to not have a Plan B.

And your conclusions are much worse with your statement because you are essentially saying that Hinkley is a great reader of the game but it is inertia that stop him from doing anything.
I vehemently disagree with the initial statement.

Reading the game and identifying what is going on is a completely separate issue to being able to implement changes within your system and adapt during games.

Taking a crude analogy, I saw a burst water main on South road yesterday. I personally have no idea how that gets fixed to the intricate details, but I can see that it needs fixing.

Hinkley is a horrible game day coach and has been quoted as saying he doesn't believe that coaches have much impact on game day anyway.

Reading the game and identifying what is going on is a completely separate issue to being able to implement changes within your system and adapt during games.

Taking a crude analogy, I saw a burst water main on South road yesterday. I personally have no idea how that gets fixed to the intricate details, but I can see that it needs fixing.

Hinkley is a horrible game day coach and has been quoted as saying he doesn't believe that coaches have much impact on game day anyway.

If there was a better argument for getting rid of him I have yet to hear it.

So in conclusion, we better hope that Sydney donā€™t jump us tomorrow or we wonā€™t stand a chance of competing, barring a superhuman effort by JHF, Butters et al. who would try to turn the game around with their own desperate efforts.

Last edited:
If there was a better argument for getting rid of him I have yet to hear it.

So in conclusion, we better hope that Sydney donā€™t jump us tomorrow or wonā€™t stand a chance of competing, barring a superhuman effort by JHF, Butters et al. who would try to turn the game around with their own desperate efforts.

JHF was the only one during the Geelong game debacle who stood up to Ken on the bench and pleaded with him to make changes as the game was getting away from them. Made a ton of suggestions apparently, the majority (if not all) were fobbed off by Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's this, 100%. He tinkers over the off season and makes a few changes, but as soon as things go a bit pear shape he reverts to type. Happens every season.

Fwiw, the people telling me about Ken's ability to read the game do not want to keep him as coach if it were up to them. This isn't me getting this from a few executives who know nothing about footy and are using this to justify his tenure.

Zero benefit. See above reply in this post.

I vehemently disagree with the initial statement.

Thatā€™s fine assuming that youā€™re not a civil engineer.

As a professional coach itā€™s simply unacceptable for Ken to say I can see the problem but have no idea how to fix it.

Thatā€™s fine assuming that youā€™re not a civil engineer.

As a professional coach itā€™s simply unacceptable for Ken to say I can see the problem but have no idea how to fix it.

I'm not sure he doesn't think he knows how to fix it. I just think his ideas on how to fix things are very limited (ie work harder).

JHF was the only one during the Geelong game debacle who stood up to Ken on the bench and pleaded with him to make changes as the game was getting away from them. Made a ton of suggestions apparently, the majority (if not all) were fobbed off by Ken.
Iā€™m curious. This seems like overly intimate knowledge of what went on in the dugout.

Paul Newman gif

There's nothing worse than being someone who reads the game well and being coached by a buffoon who keeps making the same errors.

I think you can definitely have the ability to read the game well, but be too stubborn or set in your ways to act on it when it doesnā€™t fit your pre-conceived ideas of how something should be run.

First one is ability. Second one is attitude.

Primus got the job because he was there, we are going down the same track again appointing someone from within.
Call it want you want you get the same result.
Then you can all winge like a bunch of old moles ā€¦ā€¦Oh I wish we had ā€¦ā€¦. as coach.
And then some bright spark will chip in with, Oh he was available but we never interviewed anyone.
Have a look at the recent premiership coaches, how many played with the club theyā€™re coaching.
And a large part of this I believe is because you aren't getting any new ideas in. We've just created a loop where bad ideas fester and build on each other but nobody brings in anything new. It goes beyond head coach to every part of the organisation. Imagine for example a forwards coach who had previously been at Brisbane, or Hawthorn. Think about how they would test Ken. We don't test each other, we're all just happy to tow the party line. Its how cults operate rather than successful sports teams.

Personally imo, I think if you look at the strong Geelong sides, they had a playing group with good mental strength, your Duckwoods, Bartels and more.
Ken would like to think he can emulate a playing group that can make their decisions on the fly like a well drilled Geelong.
The difference is they have a great system, players seem to develop physically and mentally much quicker than us.
A testiment to their system club standards and astute coaches, very professional all round.

Unfortunately Ken we are not Geelong and don't have the benefit of the best people to get it done and sorry to say you are one of those deficient people.

JHF for captain coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back