Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Hinkley had this to say after Friday night's loss...

But it's not one person. This is a whole-of-club thing that goes on," Hinkley said.
"If we had got through tonight, it wouldn't have been me, and if we didn't get through tonight, it'd be us.
"I do understand that, as the head coach, you cop the brunt of that and I'm OK with copping the brunt.
"But the reality is, you can't do this without a full club. You just can't."

Chris De Silva whoever he is, is right to ask what Hinkley meant by that last 'without a full club comment'. Does Hinkley mean that he feels he doesn't have everyone's support? Are there cracks in the relationship between the Coach and the Club hierarchy? Or is this simply Ken's flak deflection mechanism kicking in as usual? To defect flak Hinkley will launch into philosophical comments divorced from the reality of the situation. All too often his football philosophy is not matched by the team's performance on the field. Hinkley tries to hard to give the impression that he is the thinking person's coach a veneer that is not matched by results as is evident in a game plan that is as inflexible as it is deficient when it comes to winning when it counts.

In this latest pearl of wisdom Hinkley seems to be highlighting the fact that one person alone, meaning Ken Hinkley, is not responsible for Port's repeated failures. That argument neglects the fact that he alone is, or should be, the chief tactician and the person responsible for the development and implementation of a game plan that gets results. To hide behind the group responsibility thing is passing the buck.

PS: I am not sure where the 'best ever coach' bit in the link above comes from. Chocco Williams won an AFL Premiership with Port. In terms of Premiership success Ken Hinkley is the most unsuccessful coach in PAFC and AFL history.
The only reason that Hinkley feels he's an easy target is because the idiots that employ him have been incompetent and should have let him go in 2017.
Then he wouldn't be a target, and we would have a better coach.

I see now the media protection racket is leading with the deficiencies in our list being our weakness. So, the same players that can win 60% of minor round games aren't good enough for finals against the same teams?

I can't fathom how anyone could have watched our "game plan" on Friday and concluded it was the fault of the players.

Singled out BZT, Rategolea, Evans and Narkle, as if every premiership team has a star lineup.

Ridiculous argument, not every player on your list are stars, they play their role and reliably fill in gaps in a good system. Our club continually bring in these recruits hoping they can cheat the system come finals and outperform a broken coaching philosophy.

Frampton was a late GF callup and successfully blanketed Andrews, he is given one role and sticks to it. Leave the gltiz and flash in the hands of your Daicos types.

Brought up Boaks age, and whilst his form is poor I'd ask why Pendlebury was one of the best players in the Pies flag last year. Does he maybe know his exact role, is well coached, knows when to leave his man and read the play? Boak was over doing some of the contests in the PF, playing on and putting himself under unnecessary pressure. Never seen Pendlebury take the game on and be brazen like that.

How bombing it long into the forward line all night was ever going to work is beyond me. You have Long mire and the Swans assistants in the coaching box seeing everything play out, completely invested. Cut to Ken siding on the pine staring into space and basically doing everything except not coaching.

In this latest pearl of wisdom Hinkley seems to be highlighting the fact that one person alone, meaning Ken Hinkley, is not responsible for Port's repeated failures. That argument neglects the fact that he alone is, or should be, the chief tactician and the person responsible for the development and implementation of a game plan that gets results. To hide behind the group responsibility thing is passing the buck.
Pardon the intrusion

Journos who say he’s not responsible for the repeated failures don’t know the difference between responsible and accountable

“He can’t kick it for them” - no, but he’s accountable if they can’t kick it.

As you say, he’s responsible for the game plan, for developing proper leadership, for skill development. The players are then responsible for carrying it out - and he’s accountable if they don’t.

Amazes me how whole corporate boards - including yours, apparently - don’t know the difference between the two

Seriously though, if Hinkley stays he's in for a hell of a time, we won't finish top 4 next season, our draw won't be so easy.
If he can't handle the heat he's in for a rude shock

The only way he's delt with it in the past is to manipulate a contract extension, I wouldn't think that will happen this time around but Ports who knows.

Ken should now move on, it will be in his and his families best interests, next year will get very turbulent and nasty if he stays I would think.

The happy clappers on social media are hard work. The same people talking up our premiership chances a week ago and now all of a sudden we have over achieved and it is a miracle we got this far. Seems to be unless Ken has a squad of 40 All-Australian players fit and available at his disposal you simply cannot expect him to compete.

Marks back in his car again
Looks like he's eaten a box of endone

If I was an afl coach in waiting, I’d be offended.

Look around you, all you “experts” saying “who else are you going to get” and “look at Ken’s record” - count how many coaches in the AFL that have got their team to a GF and played finals. Its not just Ken (excluding the GF).

You’re assuming that no other coach can do what Ken has done 😂
When people speak of this out loud, as if they don’t realise how stupid they sound.

I’m so confused.

Read the room Ken. Pack ya bags and go.

If I was an afl coach in waiting, I’d be offended.

Look around you, all you “experts” saying “who else are you going to get” and “look at Ken’s record” - count how many coaches in the AFL that have got their team to a GF and played finals. Its not just Ken (excluding the GF).

You’re assuming that no other coach can do what Ken has done 😂
When people speak of this out loud, as if they don’t realise how stupid they sound.

I’m so confused.

Read the room Ken. Pack ya bags and go.
So much this.

Who ya gonna get who can deliver nothing for 12 successive years, eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It occurs to me that the Port powers-that-be now have two options that might make sense to some:
1. Sack Hinkley (the right move) - long odds
2. Announce he's our coach, still, and will be through 2025 and maybe beyond (stupid, outrageous, but a few will like it) - odds a bit shorter.

However, they will take the ridiculous route of 'the transition', which is Josh Carr 'learning' for another year under the genius of Ken. There is absolutely no value in this; in fact, it's a massive negative, but the way these lunatics think . . .

I can just see the grifter undermining Carr, throwing him under the bus at every opportunity, and leaking to his media mates in another attempt to get another unearned extension. There's not an amateur football club in Australia that would put up with this farce, but Port probably will.

The following would occur if the club try to invoke the succession plan with Josh. Hinkley will:

a) threaten to walk

b) tell Donna to tell David to shut up

c) pretend to cry

d) get manager to leak fake interest from other clubs

e) ring Gerard / Caro / Kane

f) get Dixon to insult the members

g) get Connor to once again profess their undying love

h) all of the above
jack watts

I see now the media protection racket is leading with the deficiencies in our list being our weakness. So, the same players that can win 60% of minor round games aren't good enough for finals against the same teams?

I can't fathom how anyone could have watched our "game plan" on Friday and concluded it was the fault of the players.
Wasn't it like 2 players difference from the side that pumped Sydney by 112 pts a few weeks ago?

people crowd GIF

When your forward structure resembles a Boxing Day sale it’s time to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back