Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Deals are never done at emergency meetings. Everyone knows the outcome of any potential vote by the time the meeting is called.

Hence, the absence of a meeting does not signify the absence of deals being worked on.

AFL never want big news to come out the week of the Grand Final - they want the news to be focused on the two grand finalists.

We could be waiting up to 10 days for a public announcement if it does happen. But I suspect they'll make a decision much sooner than that.

The silence form the club is deafening... feels just like every other failed season. Hinkley isnt getting sacked

Maybe we should be grateful for that silence? It could be broken by Koch announcing that Hinkley's contract had been extended beyond 2025. Koch has done it before and they just did it with Lauren Arnell who is fast becoming the AFLW version of Ken Hinkley.

I will begrudgingly put up with one more year of Hinkley but if there is a contract extension announcement I will melt out big time.

What constitutes a great coach?

I’ll repeat what I’ve said many times in the past seven years.

Hinkley is not a bad coach at all. He could have picked a career path that suited his qualities better, but he preferred the coziness of Koch’s Port.

If he had left us in 2017, gone to the Suns, and taken them to a couple of Finals; then moved for a stint at North and improved them, and so on, Hinkley would now be on his way to Perth before finishing his career with a spot secured in the AFL Hall of Fame.

No flags, but recognized throughout Australia as one of the best; a true Magician, a Footy Doctor, a legend.

Now, he will only have no flags and a bunch of infamous records on his name.

Singled out BZT, Rategolea, Evans and Narkle, as if every premiership team has a star lineup.

Ridiculous argument, not every player on your list are stars, they play their role and reliably fill in gaps in a good system. Our club continually bring in these recruits hoping they can cheat the system come finals and outperform a broken coaching philosophy.

Frampton was a late GF callup and successfully blanketed Andrews, he is given one role and sticks to it. Leave the gltiz and flash in the hands of your Daicos types.

Brought up Boaks age, and whilst his form is poor I'd ask why Pendlebury was one of the best players in the Pies flag last year. Does he maybe know his exact role, is well coached, knows when to leave his man and read the play? Boak was over doing some of the contests in the PF, playing on and putting himself under unnecessary pressure. Never seen Pendlebury take the game on and be brazen like that.

How bombing it long into the forward line all night was ever going to work is beyond me. You have Long mire and the Swans assistants in the coaching box seeing everything play out, completely invested. Cut to Ken siding on the pine staring into space and basically doing everything except not coaching.
Great post Hammer

Hinkley is not a bad coach at all. He could have picked a career path that suited his qualities better, but he preferred the coziness of Koch’s Port.

If he had left us in 2017, gone to the Suns, and taken them to a couple of Finals; then moved for a stint at North and improved them, and so on, Hinkley would now be on his way to Perth before finishing his career with a spot secured in the AFL Hall of Fame.

No flags, but recognized throughout Australia as one of the best; a true Magician, a Footy Doctor, a legend.

Nah. He is a bad coach.

20 minutes into the Sunday footy show:
-our turnovers were deplorable, Sydney got most of their score from them
-we were out of our depth from the beginning
-we didn't have leading up targets, just passing to static targets
-Kane says Boak & Dixon should both retire

I mean he's spot on, we were never in it, and were wholly outcoached, but then he blames the list?

Getting belted in both games isn't the list, its the coaching and mentality.

I get that there are genuine holes in our list, but not 84points at home holes, to solely blame the list and not portion any to coaching, structure or development is so disingenuous

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean he's spot on, we were never in it, and were wholly outcoached, but then he blames the list?

Getting belted in both games isn't the list, its the coaching and mentality.

I get that there are genuine holes in our list, but not 84points at home holes, to solely blame the list and not portion any to coaching, structure or development is so disingenuous

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kane only made the last point, the other hosts made the first 3

Maybe you could use the unclaimed moneys from the hat fund to book her for a guest spot at the club's next WooHoo team building away day.

Turning knowledge into action for real-world change sounds like something the club desperately needs.

View attachment 2117920

Sorry I already spent it getting a Jesus of Maffra portrait tat.

Deals are never done at emergency meetings. Everyone knows the outcome of any potential vote by the time the meeting is called.

Hence, the absence of a meeting does not signify the absence of deals being worked on.

AFL never want big news to come out the week of the Grand Final - they want the news to be focused on the two grand finalists.

We could be waiting up to 10 days for a public announcement if it does happen. But I suspect they'll make a decision much sooner than that.
**** what the AFL want. 😭😭

Port came with a plan to take down the Swans - and it backfired spectacularly

Someone in the media actually watching us close enough to analyse our game plan and point out its deficiencies? Never thought I’d see the day.
"Outrun, outplayed, outhunted and thoroughly outcoached – this was Port’s preliminary final in a nutshell.
It’s far from as embarrassing as the disaster that was their 2021 prelim loss, and it’s unlikely to cost Hinkley his job."

Why is that always the conclusion? Kenny thoroughly outcoached, but nah he gets to coach again next year. How many years does he have to prove he is a terrible coach before the useless losers running Port actually wake up and do something!

Final thought on this matter, I seriously think the port adelaide board are so scarred by the state of the club prior to ken being hired that they are really comfortable settling for ken choking in finals rather than going out and risking it on a different coach to get this club over the finals hump.
Agree 100%, finding a coach that wanted to coach us was difficult. However, it's on them that they didn't select Chris Scott after Williams. And they already had form of being reticent to change coz they renewed Williams when it was clear at the time we needed a coaching change. This club needs to start acting like the great club we once were.

There’s quite a few media personal that are aligned to Hawthorn, who are most definitely going to come after Hinkley given is childish antics after the finals game. It’ll be unbearable for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we take til after the grand final then he isn't going. We either do it earlier this week or won't, history tells us that.

Connor should be sacked as captain simply for saying ‘we will do it for kenny’
That’s not why you ****ing do anything.
Club, supporters, jumper.
Anything but a failure of a coach.

The only people you do it for are yourselves and your team mates. They are not professional footballers because their coach made them, they chose it, they are the ones doing it for themselves. If they aren't, get out.

Be selfish, back yourselves in. Ask yourself how much do you want to win? The opposition want it just as much, so you just have to rise to the occasion, dig in, be courageous and want it even more. None of this why not us / Oppenheimer crud.

Yeah

Nah

Ken Hinkley had this to say after Friday night's loss...

But it's not one person. This is a whole-of-club thing that goes on," Hinkley said.
"If we had got through tonight, it wouldn't have been me, and if we didn't get through tonight, it'd be us.
"I do understand that, as the head coach, you cop the brunt of that and I'm OK with copping the brunt.
"But the reality is, you can't do this without a full club. You just can't."

Chris De Silva whoever he is, is right to ask what Hinkley meant by that last 'without a full club comment'. Does Hinkley mean that he feels he doesn't have everyone's support? Are there cracks in the relationship between the Coach and the Club hierarchy? Or is this simply Ken's flak deflection mechanism kicking in as usual?
Sounds to me like he is setting up the scenario where if he is sacked that he is going to use disunity in the club and the ingrate supporters as an excuse for his failure. I 100% expect this to happen and have written about it before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back