Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

He is bad for AFL football. He would be a perfectly fine A grade coach back at Bell Park

You are mistaking “mediocre” with “bad”. Hinkley would be good in improving bad teams. Bad coaches can’t do that.

I have a different take - I have always said he would have made a great player welfare manager but a head coach at the elite level, no way.

Rozee " as long as we keep turning up with effort we'll get there eventually"

He's well brainwashed and a valuable member of this cult
He wouldn't be captain if he wasn't. That's not how Ken operates.

I'm assuming that is a quote from Rozee post Swans game. If I'm coach I'm finding a new captain, one that has the required level of ambition. Wow we've had some low ball captains in our Afl era

So hang on a second the AFL are potentially dictating to us when we can sack our coach? Because they don’t want any distractions In GF week? The same AFL that unnecessarily took the focus off prelim week by fining Hinkley 20k for an aeroplane gesture, please.

If we want to do it this week fck them, just do it. We need to move on quickly now, trade period comes quick so I feel like the decision needs to be made that either he is staying or going asap.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Port: Footy Club or Cult of Ken?
Definitely a cult. It's all about Kenny Hinkley.

The players play for Kenny and not for the club. The CEO has said that the club fears an exodus of players when Kenny leaves.

This is what the club that sacked a club legend in Russell Ebert, didn't renew the contract of club legend Jack Cahill and sacked its only AFL flag winning coach in Mark Williams has become. None of those greats were bigger than the club but under the current management we are the Port Adelaide Football Club in name only. It's all about Kenny Hinkley. :mad:

You are mistaking “mediocre” with “bad”. Hinkley would be good in improving bad teams. Bad coaches can’t do that.

Would he? I think that's a myth. He walked into a Port Adelaide at the end of 2012 that I think everyone in the footy world knew was positioned well for a significant leap. I think based on what we know now, he doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that.

Have you heard anything on how Josh Carr feels about things currently? If he gets impatient surely it’d pressure the club to move on faster.
If I were josh I would run as fast as he possibly can from this shit show.

Ken is one thing but the people that have enabled this to go on for so long will be in control of Carr and how long will it take to change the player mindset from this peculiar love fest they have for Ken, these are grown men lol.

tom-hanks-forrest-gump.gif

Last edited:
Would he? I think that's a myth. He walked into a Port Adelaide at the end of 2012 that I think everyone in the footy world knew was positioned well for a significant leap. I think based on what we know now, he doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that.

His mentality and game plan are focused in NOT losing. He’s able to bring players together as a group. Those things are GOLD for basket cases.

He just has a short “best by” date and lacks a high ceiling. Those aren’t things basket cases care about.

So hang on a second the AFL are potentially dictating to us when we can sack our coach? Because they don’t want any distractions In GF week? The same AFL that unnecessarily took the focus off prelim week by fining Hinkley 20k for an aeroplane gesture, please.

If we want to do it this week fck them, just do it. We need to move on quickly now, trade period comes quick so I feel like the decision needs to be made that either he is staying or going asap.

The Afl is a dictatorship no doubt about it.
It's true they want no negatives during September appointing a coach ok sacking one not.
Of the last few coaches sacked most have been done while the minor round was still going.
The last who got sacked during finals was ratten from St kilda in 2022 and that got annouced after the grand final even though they probably decided weeks earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flaccid Kane not giving Kenny a vol-kano. Out coached once again in a final. Selecting players who have given nothing for weeks now. Not making any coaching moves until late 3rd QTR. Swapping meade for Evans. He was happy to say Chris Scott was in the gun on Friday. Seriously ........TAKE YOUR F**KING PICK KANE. SO MANY COACHING FAILS

Hi Matthew,

Lapsed member here, post 2021, and still waiting for an explanation of what happened that night, though after the last two years such an explanation would be redundant.

The What: Qualitative data for judging the Hinkley era PAFC

1) Winning a flag means winning three consecutive games against top 4 opponents

i) Under Hinkley, we have a 28% winning record against top 4 opponents.

2) Winning a flag means finishing top 4 and winning 75% finals in a given year

i) Under Hinkley, we have earned 4 top-3 finishes in 5 years for 9 finals, 7 at home, for 3 wins.

ii) In our last 6 finals we have won just 4 quarters, total.

The Why: Qualitative data for judging the Hinkley era PAFC.

1) The Hinkley gameplan relies of midfield dominance and weight of forward possession to generate scores for and prevent scores against.

2) The Hinkley gameplan does not have a system for generating scores outside of superior workrate or individual brilliance (Schulz, Wingard, R Gray, JHF, Rioli)

3) The Hinkley gameplan succeeds against teams with less talent and poor workrate, which is why we never bottom out.

4) The Hinkley gameplan fails against teams that match us for talent, workrate and have a superior system. IE, the teams we have to beat to win the flag.

5) The Hinkley gameplan has failed the same way since 2016. Compare the Sydney PF to our worst losses across that period:
  • Senior players played despite poor form/fitness
  • Midfield and field position dominance
  • Long bombs to nowhere, leading to an intercept marking bonanza
  • Destroyed on turnover
  • Mid-game collapse putting the match out of reach
  • Half-hearted comeback, far too late

The question you have to answer, Matthew:

Does winning the last quarter against Sydney by 3 points make up for Hinkley's stubborn reliance on his decade old strategy that has, once again, failed when it counts?

I'd say good luck, but you don't need it. Just the guts to do the obvious thing in the face of pressure from a media bloc that doesn't get Port Adelaide, or have our best interests at heart.

I hope to be a member again next year.

You know what to do.

Sleezy.

Well, in the end, it ended how we all knew it would, and how it so often ends against the better teams. We fall short. It happens every time under Hinkley, and it won't change. 12 years of evidence show it, this year's finals series further highlights it.

We weren't just beaten by Sydney and Geelong we were utterly belted by both of them. Two teams who are infinitely better coached than us, exposed the flaws in Hinkley's game plan in brutal fashion. I'd have this year's finals failure up there with the 2021 Preliminary final capitulation. Finishing second gave us the opportunity to take the easy path to a GF. Instead by halftime of the Geelong game we knew the ending to this movie. It was the same as it always is.

I tried during the finals to believe in the team, I really did. But deep down I knew how it would end. The club needs a change of coach and as much as the players claim he's a Father figure to them so do they. Until they get that they'll always fall short.

We also need to improve our list. Players like Narkle, McEntee, Burton, Ratugolea and Evans can't be playing against the best sides. They get exposed badly when the heat is on. But that falls back on the coach. He needs to trust his list more. The games Ratugolea played up forward should've gone to Lord or Visentini. Same with Dixon. Lorenz has more of a future than Evans and so on. The coach needs to trust those younger players so they can kick on.

In the end Hinkley has to go and this September showed him up once again.
Under a decent game plan, players like Ratugolea can become premiership players. Case in point - Billy Frampton at Collingwood.

Funny listening to Campo after the game saying from where Ken is on the boundary, there is no way that he has been making game-day moves. He is in no position to see the play.
No you don't understand - that's the brilliant mind of Ken Hinkley at play. He got us to a preliminary final from ground level........without the aid of a headset!!!

Can’t the answer be both?
I don’t subscribe to the idea that that’s the issue here. Our midfield has last year’s coaches MVP in Butters, and I think Rozee cracked the top 5 in 2022 and maybe 2023. I’d go so far as to say neither of them were our best midfielder this year because we’ve got an outright star in JHF. Wines is only 3 years removed from a Brownlow and sure, his output has diminished from his extremely consistent (and record equalling) Brownlow year, but that’s due to the emergence of those 3 more than anything. There’s an elite defensive midfielder in Willem Drew, Houston’s a fantastic ball user who goes into the middle often enough, and our wingers are handy too, I think you could make a case for Burgoyne being our best performer across our finals campaign too. Plus Sweet is a handy ruck too, not a world beater but he’s on the rise and definitely an upgrade on Lycett who was arguably a liability across his last two seasons.
I know what you’re thinking, the midfield isn’t where the holes are, and I agree. I’d make the case that’s it’s probably a top 2 midfield in the league. That could be a biased call but I’m very critical of the club when I need to be. The list deficiencies are in the forward line and backline, particularly in the key position spots. They’re both alright but there’s certainly depth issues there. But when you’ve been the coach for so long that there’s only one player you haven’t overseen the drafting/recruiting of, that’s on you! There’s a development issue too because so many of our rucks and non-mids are from other clubs. Aliir, Burton, Sweet, Soldo, Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Dixon, Finlayson, and this goes back a while with now retired players like Watts, Schulz, Ryder and others who I’ve forgotten cause I’m writing this in a rush, but if someone wants to list the players I’ve missed, please do. With KPPs you have to pay a premium as well which you can definitely see in the case of Ratugolea. We sold the farm for a Geelong depth player and sure, that’s because Geelong are a pack of campaigners, but the root cause of not being able to develop these players or not being able to keep the ones that have shown promise (namely Howard but you could make the case for Frampton as well being a premiership player). Yet who’s overseeing the coaching staff who can’t seem to develop talent? You guessed it.
If you want to make the case that the list is equally as big an issue as the coach right now, look at who built the list. If you want to look in other areas, our board that our members largely don’t get to elect is a big issue too, but pointing at the list as an issue is lazy. Not on your part seeing as you’re not a Port fan, but more by the media who can’t be bothered aiming for the head and the segment of our fanbase that eats up that idea.

He's not going to be involved in anything that will be at the detriment of the Club going forward.

Like what he delivered last Friday night..showing his stubbornness to not stay with the close marking, high pressure style that beat hawthorn and Sydney 6 weeks ago, and returning to the failed zone that was dismantled by Geelong and the bomb it into congestion strategy that has never worked for him in a final?

I wouldn't be so sure

He isn't just a charlatan, he's a selfish, childish sook who lacks self control. he has that frontal pre cortex thing missing. he would very easily "chimp out"

I can 100% count in him to undermine and cause as much difficulty for the Replacement as he possible can

You're trusting_our_ board, chairman and CEO to make sure he isn't able to do that? he has for 7+ years, and they haven't

Last edited:
No you don't understand - that's the brilliant mind of Ken Hinkley at play. He got us to a preliminary final from ground level........without the aid of a headset!!!
Telepathy Ken.

I kept a keen eye on Fagan last night, knowing he coaches from the boundary, he kept that headset on 100% of the time and was talking consistently to the box.

As Ken said the other week, he’s just a figure head. As he said on the weekend, he’s one of a few that have been apart of this 12 year journey.

So it makes sense to say that he shouldn’t be given all the credit for our rise post 2012, right? Right??

admittedly the afl do own us. that decision needs board approval and the board, less 2 ppl, are appointed by the AFL. so they wouldn't put that to the afl this week.

This is just such a dotting of the "i" for me. This is starting to get the stench of heading into quite strange areas.

tv land buddy dobbs GIF by [HASH=785530]#Impastor[/HASH]

admittedly the afl do own us. that decision needs board approval and the board, less 2 ppl, are appointed by the AFL. so they wouldn't put that to the afl this week.

The AFL to my knowledge do not need to approve Port to do so in the event they want to move on from Ken.

On what evidence is that opinion of Chris Scott as a senior coach based in August 2010? Did you pick up on that from his performance as an assistant coach at Freemantle?

In hindsight appointing Primus over Scott was a mistake but at the time it wasn't an obvious bad decision.

Matt has outstanding Port Adelaide heritage - but that was not a deciding factor in his appointment. He was the best candidate pure and simple at the end of a very demanding and competitive selection process.”

I don't think Chris Scott would have made a difference at our club during the period where we were broke and couldn't fund a functioning football department. Chris would have ended up on the coaches scrap heap and another coach would be enjoying the spoils at Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back