Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Dwayne’s gone from “they can win the flag!” to “they’ll miss the eight!” in a matter of weeks.

This is where someone tells us, “fan of the Gold Coast Suns would kill to be in our position!”.
I got a PM from an Essendon fan the other day, telling me that he'd kill for a coach who could get the Bombers to a preliminary final. I considered asking him if he also believes in the tooth fairy, but resisted the urge.

The amount of credit the club gives itself for being brave in "continuing to turn up" is absolutely bemusing.

Like you're a (supposedly) elite sporting organisation, do you want an open top bus ticker-tape parade for competing lol

Port Adelaide love the "Brave" narrative. Brisbane finishing 5th and winning three finals to reach a GF, including two final wins away and coming back from significant deficits in both and losing their ruckman early in the Prelim. That is brave.

Fun fact: Brisbane have won as many finals games in three weeks as Port Adelaide has in ten years. I am sure David Koch will like that data.

Gets paid probably twice as much as the PM, has no accountability and is crap at his job.

"Ahh, yeah, but at least he kept rocking up".

Bernie Madoff ripped billions off of unsuspecting clients while working as an investment advisor - "Hey, at least he continued to rock up"!!

"Sack Hinkley 17 - tell the campaigner to stop rocking up".

Port Adelaide love the "Brave" narrative. Brisbane finishing 5th and winning three finals to reach a GF, including two final wins away and coming back from significant deficits in both and losing their ruckman early in the Prelim. That is brave.

Fun fact: Brisbane have won as many finals games in three weeks as Port Adelaide has in ten years. I am sure David Koch will like that data.
Having heard both the coach and chairman now speak publicly after the prelim loss, it's reasonable to deduce that the club genuinely think it's only luck (which they seem to think they're entitled to) and injuries that is preventing it from achieving the ultimate success.

Despite a decade-long sample size of repeated structural and tactical failures under the pressure of finals.

It's just all so utterly pathetic.

Here are the main points made by David Koch:

- we've had bad luck, it was dark in the changerooms after the Prelim with all the players we didn’t have playing;

- it was an enormous effort to make finals, but we need a bit of luck;

- we’re younger than the baby Hawks, we have so much potential and we have so much to build on;

- Ken and team can hold their heads up high, we just need to take next step, we play consistent finals;

- comment by the hosts about the mood surrounding Hinkley, with hardcore fans putting up stickers but there's a rethinking of relationship between fans and Ken, where fans are begrudgingly showing respect for Ken for keeping on turning up;

- his performance is an incredibly successfully coach, hasn’t made a Grand Final, he deserves it, we deserve it;

- last year Koch got hammered at AGM by core fans, but next day it was family day, and was approached by 600 people to thank him for what a great job he’s doing at the club;

- we’re a good club, but not a great club, we have consistency, we just need to take the next step;

- we’ve got to be competitive, we play finals consistently and if luck goes our way we will get the ultimate prize;

- "Has Ken told you that he’s returning?"

- there's exit i.e. end of season interviews with players and then coaches by the end of the week, and next week they'll review the season of the club as a whole;

- "My answer is Ken has a contract for next year, as far as I am concerned that’s it. I deal in facts."

That's all I could manage to write down and I think encapsulates the gist of what he said. I am sure a full transcription will come out soon.

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

Apart from a brief spike after the 2017 EF, the guy never really endured any real scrutiny until after the 2021 PF debacle.

That was eight years into his tenure, a charmed run we can all agree.

Imagine if the pressure had started earlier! dude would have imploded like the titan submarine
That ‘21 Prelim is when he should have been given his marching orders. Sack Ken

Chewy, with what Tom Morris is reporting, do you think it might be a case of Ken saving face by resigning rather than being sacked?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I saw the Caro and Kane clip last night - Both of them saying they wouldn't be surprised if Ken leaves to take some time off and be with his family. These are two of his protection squad and I'm convinced they're being fed this directly from Ken. It's preparing the ground for him leaving us rather than being sacked - and for the first time in about 6 years I actually think he's on his way - and I don't care how the 'truth' is reported - as long as he's gone.... Now I'm like a kid at Christmas with a present in front of me - I just hope it's a PS5 with a handwritten note from Josh rather than a stale donut with a Hinkley face made out of icing.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of credit the club gives itself for being brave in "continuing to turn up" is absolutely bemusing.

Like you're a (supposedly) elite sporting organisation, do you want an open top bus ticker-tape parade for competing lol

100%.

They literally invite and revel in the janky narrative that we’re a p¡ssminnow that lacks resources and talent compared to everyone else.

Even though we’ve had everything going for us on numerous occasions in this recent run:

• Opponents locked in hubs
• Bontempelli carrying a knee issue
• Tom Stewart late out
• Unbeaten against Sydney since 2016

“We keep showing up and we’ve been pretty brave”

The willingness to embrace cop out culture and self-satisfaction with anything over and above mediocrity is just another reason the club needs an overhaul.

Hopefully the Woohoo people put it on the agenda the next time they come to Alberton to vacuum up another 5 figures.

100%.

They literally invite and revel in the janky narrative that we’re a p¡ssminnow that lacks resources and talent compared to everyone else.

Even though we’ve had everything going for us on numerous occasions in this recent run:

• Opponents locked in hubs
• Bontempelli carrying a knee issue
• Tom Stewart late out
• Unbeaten against Sydney since 2016

“We keep showing up and we’ve been pretty brave”

The willingness to embrace cop out culture and self-satisfaction with anything over and above mediocrity is just another reason the club needs an overhaul.

Hopefully the Woohoo people put it on the agenda the next time they come to Alberton to vacuum up another 5 figures.

Just not even sure how it can be fixed anymore, given the Chairman, CEO & Coach are the three most visible off-field figures at the club and they give oxygen to these narratives at every opportunity.

It's a shame the Neil Balmes/Greg Swanns/Geoff Walshs of the footy world aren't 10-15 years younger, I honestly think we need a headcruncher of a footy boss to come in to absolutely cut through the bullshit and call out the time-wasters.

Just about all things down at the club are stage managed within an inch of its life and every little minutiae of criticism or bad public sentiment of the club looking bad is summarily met with an article or a player or club official or media shill addressing it very quickly.

I remember last year when Brynn Teakle had four of the worst games on the trot for the Power and the supporters were not happy. Instead of taking the L, they wrote an article where Josh Carr stated how good he was.

They prefer lying to their fans than admitting even an iota of culpability which overall shows a complete lack of reality and accountability.

With that type of attitude, it is hard to win.
It's a laughable scenario because it'll never happen, but if Koch were to stare down the lens of a camera and say, "I got it wrong", I could respect his honesty. But knowing this administration, there's about as much chance of that happening as there is of me making my AFL debut.

I'll be over the moon when the cockroach is finally gone. Caroline Wilson's comments about Hinkley being worried that the Hawthorn/Ginnivan/Sicily childish show of poor sportsmanship will be his legacy tells you all you need to know (as if we didn't already) about "Kenny's" care factor about the PAFC.

Last edited:
Just not even sure how it can be fixed anymore, given the Chairman, CEO & Coach are the three most visible off-field figures at the club and they give oxygen to these narratives at every opportunity.

It's a shame the Neil Balmes/Greg Swanns/Geoff Walshs of the footy world aren't 10-15 years younger, I honestly think we need a headcruncher of a footy boss to come in to absolutely cut through the bullshit and call out the time-wasters.

And then you get apologists who regale us with insights such as,

“You have to understand that it’s a business…”

You know what would be exceedingly good for business?

Casting off the well-earned reputation of existential pretenders, chokers and everything being about Poor Widdle Hard Done-By Kenny™, and winning a f#%king premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back