Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's gone I'd expect the club to be very tight lipped until everyone has been told and any contractual obligations sorted.

Hearing nothing right now is probably a good thing.

If the footy committee has decided he is staying I'm sure that will leak out sooner rather than later.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's contracted and they already said he's coaching next year,why would they come out and say anything else

Sent from my A065 using Tapatalk

It was the tail end of Fos Williams coaching career that won premierships in 1951, 1954-58 (Geof Motley in 59), 1962-3, 1965 then the rise of Sturt 1966-70 and North's brief ascension 1971-2.

Geof Motley had a brief run 1959-61, but after winning the flag in 1959, minor premiership in 1960-61 but exiting finals in straight sets, Bob McLean removed him as coach and brought Fos back.,

John Cahill took over in 1974, won the flag in 1977, then away we went again.
And John nearly lost his job before '77 - Anyone old enough to remember the "Let's Back Jack" car stickers?

And John nearly lost his job before '77 - Anyone old enough to remember the "Let's Back Jack" car stickers?

I remember Wally May saying after the slow start to a season 'Looks like they're only backing Jack for the place' :D

Smithers texted Dwayne just then on SEN, says Hinkley to announce leaving at tonight's BnF due to family issues.

I hope Smithers is correct.

Smithers has been busy

happy season 9 GIF

Yes. I too typed a 300 or so word rant in the "other comments" box regarding sub par on-field performance, lack of courage by a risk averse board, etc.
Probably gets the "Delete" button applied, but what the heck!
I FEEL GOOD!
I ticked the box for a ‘possible’ return call from the club to discuss my grievances with a Port Adelaide official

If the Board were genuinely undecided about Hinkley's future and wanted to frame his exist as a mutual decision and Ken walking, maybe him going on the radio with the "I deserve another go" could be perceived as him trying to bully the Board into allowing him to stay....

I personally think it's total BS, but we can hope at least.
I was hoping against the odds that could be possible. But in that case, the chance to sell it as mutual is gone and Ken probably went on radio to fight publicly when directed not to. So the only option then would have been a humiliating sacking, and I think that would have happened this morning if that were the case.

I think I'm on the cusp of accepting he's locked in for next year and I'll have to barrack for a 0-10 start to finally get rid of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people really do have short and selective memories...

Wasn't it like a week ago where you left us alone because you realised basically everyone in this thread wasn't buying what you were selling. Perhaps you can selectively remember that comparing a premiership coach with a guy who has never made a Grand Final isn't the most popular idea in this thread.

Please stop litigating this idea that the issues we have now have been present since the beginning of time, because they haven't, and you're either thick or disingenuous.
Proof positive you dont read what is written or don't have sufficient activity above the brain stem to correctly interpret it. I stood corrected on what was interpreted as defending Hinkley and left that there. If you read the post in its' entirety you will note I have stated the arguments for removing Hinkley as VALID- i.e I am not disagreeing with you. What is the difference between today's issues and previous ones? Choking in finals is a constant. Underperforming players is a constant. High finishes for no reward is a constant. Playing and drafting in spuds is a constant. Gold passes and favouritism is a constant. Gutless administration is a constant. Tell me where the difference is. Play the ball not the man. Also can you clarify you mean reiterate as opposed to litigate- I wouldn't go to the expense of seeking legal opinion over such an immaterial issue.

Last edited:
I realise Ken is the king of mixed messages but there just no way you can reconcile his comments Wednesday with him stepping away 48 hours later. It's not happening, unless he's been pushed which all the evidence would suggest this club isn't doing.

He'll front up at the B&F, talk about how we were unlucky but next year will be better with no further elaboration, and then disappear until February next year.

What club has ever sacked a coach that made a prelim,and Ken's not walking

Sent from my A065 using Tapatalk
But we don't want him sacked because of 1 prelim - we want him gone because we've lost 4 with him in charge.

I was hoping against the odds that could be possible. But in that case, the chance to sell it as mutual is gone and Ken probably went on radio to fight publicly when directed not to. So the only option then would have been a humiliating sacking, and I think that would have happened this morning if that were the case.

I think I'm on the cusp of accepting he's locked in for next year and I'll have to barrack for a 0-10 start to finally get rid of him.
Oh I think he's here next year as well. Unless he's been told, you're sacked but still given the opportunity to save face (or more likely Koch avoid having to admit he got it wrong with the last extension)

Goes on 5aa being giddy to be here next year and then announcing he is leaving a day later?

Seems unlikely to me

After the 5aa interview someone at the club rang him to say ‘you don’t have the numbers to survive. Best to have a plan b’.

Unfortunately it’s well known he doesn’t have one of those, so the club said ‘just say family issues’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back