Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

This decision is more on the club and they are the ones we should be angry at, but I can't help but look at this in the context of Hinkley's long career of me-first behaviour.

Doesn't take responsibility for our performances, throws the players under the bus.
Has set a gameplan that caps out at making finals and is fine with it because it keeps getting him new contracts.
Kicks the accountability can down the road at every turn, shifts the goal posts and hides when he can't deflect.
Stood out of football for a season to force Fitzroy to trade him to Geelong.
Has admitted that footy isn't that big of a deal for him these days but is still employed as an AFL head coach a decade later.
Doesn't seek to improve or challenge himself, surrounds himself with yes men and forces out people who will challenge him.
Contacts and admonishes people in the media who are critical of him.
Leveraged the Gold Coast offer for a big new contract at Port.
Leveraged the COVID rules to lock himself in for longer.
Utilises his friends in the media to disparage the fans and the players to protect him at all costs.
Flat out does not accept any criticism internally or externally.

This wasn't Hinkley looking after himself with the uncertainty of COVID, this was Hinkley continuing to feather his own nest because that's ultimately all he cares about. He doesn't care about the club and he doesn't care about winning a flag.
And yet the players see a different Ken. It's like we're talking about 2 different people.

Does anyone know of the contract status of our assistants?
I wonder if we are replacing Luke Kelly and I wonder if we are just in a holding pattern here until we transition from our mate to Carr
I want cornes gone from the box as well
Want to hear some good news of new signings but will probably be dissapointed

Is this in reference to WGT’s comments on 5aa this week? He seemed keen to make it clear that Ken had been involved in all of the interviews etc and was responsible for getting Aliir, Sava, JHF etc to the club. Weirdly complimentary.
Not sure this is weird - Warren has always been extremely fair to Ken.

He correctly said that having an unsuccessful coach in an 11th season is an untenable situation and has criticised Ken's ability to make gameday moves and been proven correct on both counts, but many times he's spoken about Ken's good qualities as well.

Not sure this is weird - Warren has always been extremely fair to Ken.

He correctly said that having an unsuccessful coach in an 11th season is an untenable situation and has criticised Ken's ability to make gameday moves and been proven correct on both counts, but many times he's spoken about Ken's good qualities as well.
yeah it’s weird how things take on a life of their own with revisionist history and how Warren’s untenable comment has now morphed into him conducting some sort of sustained, personal campaign on Ken 18 months later.

All he did was state the bleeding obvious, and the facts of the matter are that Showdown loss was just one of 4-5 similar “untenable” moments in Ken’s tenure that could have been a natural stepping off point for the club to move on from him.

It's like that English teacher you love coz they let you watch movies every lesson. You don't learn anything but it's fun.
If/when these players eventually get to play under a proper coach, they'll say, "Why did we put up with Hinkley for so long?"

Why does good assistants not come to Port to work under Hinkley? I thought he was a mastermind, you'd think they would love to learn from him.

Obviously they've heard from the likes of Schofield and anyone that's worked under him.

Why does good assistants not come to Port to work under Hinkley? I thought he was a mastermind, you'd think they would love to learn from him.

Obviously they've heard from the likes of Schofield and anyone that's worked under him.
Very good point. Imo there are 3 reasons - Assistants don't see it as a good career path which reflects terribly on Ken OR Ken is threatened by quality assistants which reflects terribly on Ken OR the club is still broke & can't afford quality assistants so mainly employ average people from within.

Of all the Geelong lads from 2007/09/11 that always wax lyrical about how good Ken is, many of whom have gone into coaching, how come not one has worked under him at Port?

The answer is probably that Kenny’s never entertained the idea as he would be threatened by their experiences of playing success, and he doesn’t want to seem inferior in their eyes to the coaching of Bomber and Chris Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good point. Imo there are 3 reasons - Assistants don't see it as a good career path which reflects terribly on Ken OR Ken is threatened by quality assistants which reflects terribly on Ken OR the club is still broke & can't afford quality assistants so mainly employ average people from within.
Your last point also reflects terribly on Ken. We are continually reminded of how much of a basket case the club was when he arrived before single-handedly leading us into the promised land. If we're still broke and can't afford quality assistants, I'm laying that at his feet as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

Back