Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Such an embarrassment.

The Advertiser said:
The two South Australian clubs must come together to take the nastiness out of Showdowns before they meet again next year.

That is the view of Port Adelaide chairman David Koch, who has suggested Crows forward Josh Rachele’s pre-game comments crossed the line with denigrating “elitist crap” that are “almost poor-shaming” to Power fans.

The Advertiser said:
“I remember all those years back (former Crows chairman) Rob Chapman and I went out of our way to take the nastiness out of the Showdown,” Koch said.

“For years, it’s been really terrific.

“A whole range of things means we’re going to have to really look at something before the next Showdown, both clubs.

The Advertiser said:
“Good old-fashioned banter is one thing … but when you look back at that (Rachele) discussion, could it be seen as really elitist crap, denigrating, almost poor-shaming...?

“There is the lighthearted Crows fans are the chardonnay set and that sort of thing, but where do you draw the line?

“I know this is not right, but I’m just using it as an example of lighthearted banter towards a supporter group and then it becoming personal, you don’t say, the Crows are a wealthy supporter group because they’re white-collar criminals and rip off the workers.

Not me.

But yes we should be throwing everything at it like Sydney do. If this was a PF you know Sydney would take legal action in a court to make sure the player can play in GF.

They did it with Andrew Dunkley in 1996, and were going to do it in 2005 with Barry Hall's punch to Matt Maguire's guts, but their legal counsel successfully argued 100m from where the ball is, is considered in play and therefore he got off. (In 2005 you got 1 extra week if you caused an offence off the ball). But before the hearing, Richard Colless told Hall, don't worry if we lose tonight we will take it to the Supreme Court and get an injunction like Dunkley and you will play the GF, so prepare yourself this week like you are playing in the GF.

Maybe Koch needs to talk to Andrew Pridham and Richard Colless there in Sydney.

I’m glad you mentioned the Hall and Dunkley cases because this is ruthless and lacking at our club both on and off the pitch. It’s becoming more than just getting Dan off. It now has to become a message: if you stuff around with Port, there will be hell to pay. This has to be the message that we sent to the wider AFL world.

I’m glad you mentioned the Hall and Dunkley cases because this is ruthless and lacking at our club both on and off the pitch. It’s becoming more than just getting Dan off. It now has to become a message: if you stuff around with Port, there will be hell to pay. This has to be the message that we sent to the wider AFL world.
They also were get to play in a GF after a PF incident cases.

That's why it was easier to be absolutely ruthless in those cases compared to 1 minor round game to go case. Plus there were no concussions in the 2 Sydney incidents, which also made it easier to threaten Supreme Court action.

Trying to work out who he supports?
AFL Commissioners, sorry make that aspirant AFL Commissioners, support the game, not any club!

Maybe Koch should talk to the crows' players seeing as one of our supporters has made a complaint to police about Matt Crouch. Who incidentally was behaving like an unhinged lunatic all game.

ADELAIDE midfielder Matt Crouch is under police investigation for an incident with a Port Adelaide supporter as the bitter fallout from last weekend's Showdown continues.

Crouch flicked the cap off a Port supporter's head when exiting Adelaide Oval after his side's 22-point loss.

The Power supporter, who was leaning over a boundary fence and yelling at Crows players as they left the field, reported the incident to police.

They also were get to play in a GF after a PF incident cases.

That's why it was easier to be absolutely ruthless in those cases compared to 1 minor round game to go case. Plus there were no concussions in the 2 Sydney incidents, which also made it easier to threaten Supreme Court action.

Exactly.

This is why it's imperative that we hire a KC by now, and hopefully that’s done by this morning because this case can’t be looked at and defended by our regular lawyers on standby. We need a KC on it because you would have go outside the box in your arguments.

As I’ve said before, this is our best chance to win a flag. We need Dan Houston, as we need every other bloke playing in our jumper.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koch in his AA spot just before was basically saying both clubs pre the next showdown need to get the supporters to tone it down so there is less white line fever.

He also said Dans a good bloke but made the wrong decision to bump and really hoped Rankine was doing ok.

Trying to work out who he supports?

Also the Showdowns are great games, basically he wants to water them down.

A silk is not a guarantee of a well-run case. But I agree that it can be a good idea to take a look at new counsel from time to time.

Well, you get my point.

At least you are doing everything possible in a legal sense, and it also shows to Dan, our players, supporters, and the wider AFL community and as I mentioned earlier, it also sent the message: No one stuffs around with Port.

Depending on how we argue our case tomorrow at the appeals board, If, in the event, we do lose (which we probably will), we have to get an injunction and take it to the Supreme Court, but again, that’s all boils down to how our lawyers argue Dan’s case.

Give ‘em hell, I say, like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. IMG_0656.gif

Last edited:
Koch is useless.

Out of all of the great things that happened during the Showdown, this is what he went with.

He so doesn't get Port Adelaide or even football for that matter.

Kock, you are a cretin and your continued vanillarisation of the club will eventually have every single person pretty much hating you.

What a silly fellow

Rachele is a total flog, but it's a pretty harmless comment. I didn't even mind the teeth gesture, gets the crowd involved, good bit of theatre. It's harmless.
IIRC I think Sam Newman came to town for a Showdown and said a lot of silly things and was hated for it by the locals but all he really wanted to do was get the South Aussies up for the game.

Agreed GP, David Kok, or David Koke (which was apparently the way his namesake in the US who was of Dutch origin pronounced it) needs to keep his piss poor comments to himself and stop trying to be all things to all people, as given the same set of circumstances it's just about a certainty someone in the fruit tingle hierarchy would be carrying on like the star turn at a teddy bears' picnic about Port ferals etc, etc, etc.

The team took care of Rachele's crap on the score board and also after the final siren when some of them pointed at their own teeth to mock him, resulting in that dickhead crawling back under the same rock he slithered out from.

A silk is not a guarantee of a well-run case. But I agree that it can be a good idea to take a look at new counsel from time to time.
Agree, but they do tend to command a higher level of respect from the judiciary. Probably more about supporting the hierarchy of the boys' club rather than ability though

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back