2nds SANFL Mini Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I got a little bit excited when North passed on Crouch. I was really hoping he would go to Glenelg. Tom Lynch is a good get for us. Should play more in SANFL, and he was super for Sandringham I think in the VFL.

Sturt did well getting Jenkins and Kerridge. Crouch to West Adelaide is interesting. They have hardly any Crows listed players playing on a regular basis.

Compared to a few years ago you're right West have only the two regular players who are originally from the club. Porplyzia and Rutten and a rookie player Laird. Not counting Tippett or Dangerfield (ring ins!)
Three in total.... second most in the squad I believe after Woodville/Torrens. Sturt also have three.

Five in squad,four regulars....remind me again how many originating or regulars come from Glenelg?

:)

Perfect result for the Crows:thumbsu:

Happy Crouch is at West ...Andy Collins is a great development coach and there is plenty of ex-AFL players for him to learn off. West should be around the mark in 2012.

Happy Dowdell is with South who after losing Cockshell are probably one tall short but have plenty of midfielders...

Orval at Centrals will give him a great environment to thrive in.

Why did Kerridge slip so low??? Why the hell did Bass not swoop:confused:
Whilst not wishing to create a argument here not too sure Andy Collins is thought of as a good developement coach and my feedback a lot of effort gone in to get him a good team and has to get results to stay there.
Bassett --laird -- Fuller maybe only ones who could brag that currently although Godden might be next .

Yeah, a versatile tall goes to Glenelg. This'll be good for his development :(

Crouch is a good fit for Westies I reckon - especially with Morris off to Richmond. Happy with that one.

Whilst not wishing to create a argument here not too sure Andy Collins is thought of as a good developement coach and my feedback a lot of effort gone in to get him a good team and has to get results to stay there.
Bassett --laird -- Fuller maybe only ones who could brag that currently although Godden might be next .

I think this development coach idea is a stretch too far in some instances.
Couldn't believe the praise Bassett was getting as the man for 'Crouch', Norwood is the club etc.

Crouch is an import who will play on game day with his allocated team.
All his training and development will be through the Crows, he's their man.
Trains with them,weights are done there, game style or plans are taught to him there,rehab, boxing etc all at the Crows.

Sure he will play at West but I'm not sure what development Collins can actually impart on Crouch in 2 hours.
"Have a run in the centre and when you're tired take yourself off for 5 minutes or have a rest in the forward pocket."

Actually playing football, he will be fine at West.He will get a run on ball and they will protect him if that's needed, both in game time and physically.
He will be played in the position he is suited to.
He will learn just by playing in the SANFL,its actually up to him to perform... the cream rises!

Not putting Bassett,Laird or Fuller down but their development skills are more to do with their own players who train full time with their particular squad and are not tied to an AFL team.

They do a good job but once a player leaves that environment it is surely the mission of the AFL head coach and assistants to bring on a players progress.

Crouch was never going to be a candidate for that type of player development.

Will he be available for the whole season? I think he might have slid because he might be eased into League footy and only be available for half the games or so. Could just be a rumour though...

Its what Gold Coast are doing with Jaeger O'Meara, we've come out and said Crouch will play as many games as possible in the SANFL against the bigger bodies to prepare him for 2013. It heaps that Crouch is already a physical beast, where O'Meara has a little work to do and Gold Coast want to use the year to put some meat on his bones.

Will he be available for the whole season? I think he might have slid because he might be eased into League footy and only be available for half the games or so. Could just be a rumour though...

throw him in i reckon. if adelaide want to give him afl in 2013 he needs to play as much as he can in 2012. he'll be protected in the midfield, guys like ezard, schmidt, etc, and he'll be more than able to hold his own.

plus i want to see us get some mileage out of a mini draft selection for once :eek:

Who's spot would he take. Douglas?
sigh_gonqxvsdrwbq.jpg

Why was that comment a facepalm. Douglas was the only player i could think of that would make way for Kerridge.

Kerridge isn't a small forward, so he wouldn't displace Wright or Petrenko or Porps. He isn't going to push out any of the midfielders yet. And I don't think he's ever played down back.

The only player I could think of in the "starting 22" at the moment that might be replaced for Kerridge was Douglas. A midfielder who can have stints up forward. And Douglas is very much on the edge of being in the best 22.

Compared to a few years ago you're right West have only the two regular players who are originally from the club. Porplyzia and Rutten and a rookie player Laird. Not counting Tippett or Dangerfield (ring ins!)
Three in total.... second most in the squad I believe after Woodville/Torrens. Sturt also have three.

Five in squad,four regulars....remind me again how many originating or regulars come from Glenelg?

:)

I wasn't talking about how many Westies players have been drafted to Adelaide. I was meaning that there are no Crows listed players I could think of playing for West week in, week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was that comment a facepalm. Douglas was the only player i could think of that would make way for Kerridge.

Kerridge isn't a small forward, so he wouldn't displace Wright or Petrenko or Porps. He isn't going to push out any of the midfielders yet. And I don't think he's ever played down back.

The only player I could think of in the "starting 22" at the moment that might be replaced for Kerridge was Douglas. A midfielder who can have stints up forward. And Douglas is very much on the edge of being in the best 22.

Given the fact Douglas has only had one decent season, he is exactly the player that should be in the gun if we are to progress. Otherwise why did we recruit so many mids? To replace Rutten?

I think this development coach idea is a stretch too far in some instances.
Couldn't believe the praise Bassett was getting as the man for 'Crouch', Norwood is the club etc.

Crouch is an import who will play on game day with his allocated team.
All his training and development will be through the Crows, he's their man.
Trains with them,weights are done there, game style or plans are taught to him there,rehab, boxing etc all at the Crows.

Sure he will play at West but I'm not sure what development Collins can actually impart on Crouch in 2 hours.
"Have a run in the centre and when you're tired take yourself off for 5 minutes or have a rest in the forward pocket."

Actually playing football, he will be fine at West.He will get a run on ball and they will protect him if that's needed, both in game time and physically.
He will be played in the position he is suited to.
He will learn just by playing in the SANFL,its actually up to him to perform... the cream rises!

Not putting Bassett,Laird or Fuller down but their development skills are more to do with their own players who train full time with their particular squad and are not tied to an AFL team.

They do a good job but once a player leaves that environment it is surely the mission of the AFL head coach and assistants to bring on a players progress.

Crouch was never going to be a candidate for that type of player development.

Not sure I agree. Collins is going to be his 1st coach in senior football. It is a big step and a tough competition. He will be targeted. I think Collins will play a big part in his development. He will train with him between 25-50 times this year, be involved in team meetings and will be his gameday coach. The Crows do not determine where he plays, they do not speak to him during the game.

All the Crows will be doing with Crouch is theory in 2012. Collins will be holding his hand in the drivers seat

Will be going to some Sturt games next year.... They are now the Crows reserves.... Tambling, Reilly, Riley, Kerridge, Jenkins, Jaensch, Martin....

They will all get games aswell you would think ( hopefully not Jaensch )...

Double Blues :)

Long way from when it all started. We had only Jason Bastian and Scott Field in the expanded training squad but neither made the cut.

A total of zero Sturt players on the inaugural list. In fact I remember thinking at the time screw these guys, I'm going to barrack for someone else. Until I was fortunate enough to attend Rnd 1 1991 though. Then I was sold.

Sturt were in the midst of a 7 spoon run at the time.

Not sure I agree. Collins is going to be his 1st coach in senior football. It is a big step and a tough competition. He will be targeted. I think Collins will play a big part in his development. He will train with him between 25-50 times this year, be involved in team meetings and will be his gameday coach. The Crows do not determine where he plays, they do not speak to him during the game.

All the Crows will be doing with Crouch is theory in 2012. Collins will be holding his hand in the drivers seat

Freddy why would he train with them between 25-50 times. Over a 22 week season that means he trains at West at least once or twice a week as well as his Crows training. Busy lad!

I'll stand corrected but I reckon Sanderson and Packer were recruited under our "SA Players" rule. Whatever that was a year or two down the track.

Can't remember how it worked but it was how we were able to snap up Ricciuto.

I'm not sure Carl, but here is a seven year old thread in which Mad Dog claims Sanderson was in our inaugural squad. No sight of Packer though.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148598

I thought the inaugural squad had to have at least two representatives from each club? I vaguely recall Bickley listing that as the reason he was given a go at all. Or was that only on the full squad but not the trimmed down version?

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds SANFL Mini Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back