SANFL Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinge was from the mighty Mundulla Tigers (in the South East).

Went to SHC with Danny Meyer (richmond senior list), Brad Sugars (was ADL rookie listed), Jack Juniper (was Freo rookie listed), Tom Redden (same as Sugars)

Pretty good year level but no one quite made it (Danny still could if he gets over his injury)

I think it's fantastic that we're getting some video highlights... will this be an ongoing thing, afccomau? Incidently I think it's fantastic that the club has a presence here on BF :)

My impression of the videos...

Dangerfield looks like he has class written all over him. Quite a few times now (in various video packages etc) I've seen him fiddling with the ball in the middle of a pack and then he somehow gets it out and uses his core strength to wrench away from a pack and keep going. If he can transfer this into the AFL he could become the ultimate gun - a solid-bodied clearance player with legitimate, explosive speed.

I love the way Otten's highlights showed him clearing the ball from the centre bounce and hitting a forward target. I didn't get ot see Otten in flight in the one game he played for the Crows but he really seems to stride along the field - perhaps glide is a better term for it. Looks to be a real natural footballer.

Petrenko has absolute lightning pace! Anyone know what his engine is like? Because if he can maintain that sort of pace (even in bursts) throughout a game he going to be a quality player even before his other attributes. Looks to be a real good reader of the flow of play as well.

Moran has some zip too for a big guy! We have some real pace in the wings at the Crows! :) I like the way he was always close to his man. It'll be interesting to see how Moran develops - a ruckman-sized defender, as opposed to a ruckman that we stick in defence and hope he can fill a gap.

And Hentschel... what can I say. The sight of him running around again brought a dumb grin to my face that still hasn't subsided. I dearly hope we see him again in two weeks.

For those who can't be bothered looking up the Crows website, here are the stats of all the Crows-listed SANFL players. (Great to finally get access to Rookie stats!!)

Some random thoughts on the stats below:

Good to see Otten bounce back from what was sure to be a confidence-sapping AFL debut to star again. A goalkicking midfielder who reliably racks up big numbers. This kid will be the Chris Knights of last year, next year. Mackay continues to impress us showing he's too good for SANFL, and Armstrong puts forward a nice performance to help show us why he was drafted. It's amazing that Ken McGregor can continually do well in the SANFL and yet look so hopelessly lost in the AFL - it shows that even though the SANFL is a strong comp, just how far below AFL level it actually is. Massie is obviously absolutely ready to return, 31 disposals as a defender is elite, SANFL or not. Jahhran Jacky continues to disappoint - was he in the reserves side again? I forget. Finally, Brodie Martin - did he end up playing in the league? 21 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals... where on earth did this come from? I swear if he ends up being an AFL player it will be the greatest testament to the ability of our talent scouts because you could have gotten 100-1 odds from me of him not ever making it a few months ago, and I consider myself a fairly optimistic guy.

Andy Otten
Kicks: 19
Handballs: 18
Marks: 8
Goals: 2

Brad Symes
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 9
Marks: 4

David Mackay
Kicks: 18
Handballs: 11