SANFL Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently he got some nice possessions using his speed and reading of the play and kicked well, so that's good. But not a huge possession game, apparently.

Edit: The commentators just gave him a nice wrap, saying he had been "very good today" and that "the Adelaide heirachy would be impressed with his effort today especially considering he just landed back from Brisbane this morning."

They also said that he had "shown enough to show that Adelaide's picking of him at (the Crows') number 1 was warranted".

Just got home from the West Adelaide vs Port Adelaide game from Richmond and both Patrick Dangerfield and Brad Moran play pretty well

Firstly Dangerfield had about 21 possessions by my calculations playing on the half back flank for the majority of the game and close to a quarter across the half forward line. He looked a lot better across half back when he could run in straight lines. His first quarter he was excellent, he had 7 possessions and most of the posessions hit the targets. Second quarter he only had the two possesions and drifted a bit out of the game. Third quarter he had 5 possessions and in the last quarter he had 6 possessions. He took one really good contested mark in the last quarter as well. Once again he showed his pace and appears very good at stoppages. I thought his diposal was pretty good. On one ocassion he started behind the Port player and when their was a race for the ball Dangerfield easily burnt off the Port player and delivered the ball down the ground. He is lighning quick and closing speed is sensational.

I still think Dangerfield has to work on his workrate because at times he doesnt present himself enough but then again he is playing in a team which he most probably knows no one. But in closing I think he is ready to play AFL already and i think he is going to be a great player for us (better than Ebert)

I was very impressed with Moran today. He had quite a few possessions and took quite a few marks as well. He was moved on to Hargraves after Hargraves had kicked four goals and he did a brilliant job. Hargraves only kicked one goal on Moran (that was only coz Moran ran off Hargraves but the ball was turned over by the bloods resulting in the ball being marked by Hargraves). Moran continually provided run from the backlines including on one occasion taking a few bounces down the wing.

I also think Moran is going to be a good player for us and from what i saw today i would be more than happy to see him playing for us in a few weeks.

Went down to Broadspectrum this afternoon as saw an insipid game of football, but I really wasn’t there for any reason other than to watch #59 in action.

Patrick started on the bench and came on after about 3 or 4 minutes and then he headed for virtually full back, on the Power’s Nathan Krakouer. He checked him very closely and made sure his opponent didn’t get much space. While they went head to head, Krakouer failed to register a possession. He had about 2 touches while in defence, one from a mark after he peeled off his man and the other after he picked up the loose ball and let go of a handball, unfortunately it was chopped off and the end result was a goal. At the 15 minute mark of the term he was then shifted onto the wing and that’s where he looked really at home. Had 3 touches in about 10 minutes and two in particular were very classy. There was a big pack in the midfield and the ball was free, that’s when Danger swooped on the ball, broke free from the pack and shot off a handball. It really was a very impressive piece of play. At quarter time he had 5 possessions, 2 kicks, 3 handballs and 2 marks.

In the second quarter he started on the bench once again and when he came on, again early in the term, this time he was shifted onto the half forward flank. He was involved in a collision after going up for a mark but he failed to hang on as two players converged. Cupido was one and he went down looking very sore, but if he had stayed out of it Danger probably would’ve held onto the mark. He only had the one touch for the quarter, the ball was bouncing into the forward fifty, he picked it up, steadied and just got the kick away as his opponent chased him down and affected the kick. The ball only traveled about 20 metres and landed near the square. Yes he was chased down, but he never really had the chance to steady and run at full pace. He made a few hard leads and ended up around the wing but most times was ignored.

In the third term he again started up forward and he again struggled to get involved. He started on the HFF and from the centre bounces he would run into the midfield. From memory he had about 6 possessions for the term, some were pretty impressive. He started the term with a nice clearance after he crashed the pack, took a few steps and booted it around his body into the forward fifty. In the last quarter he was shifted once again into defence and played mainly on Krakouer. His last term was probably his best and he had another 5 possessions. After Port had kicked a point he called for the ball, they kicked it to his area and he went up and took a strong overhead mark. He dished off by hand to a running teammate. Another piece of impressive play was when Port bombed the ball out of West’s defensive fifty and the ball was bouncing towards the wing. Dangerfield and his opponent went head to head to gather the loose ball and Danger won out, easily as he read the ball well, used his amazing pace and delivered the ball into the forward fifty. Krakouer only had about 2 touches in about the 30-40 minutes they spent on each other, and he managed to goal in the dying stages of the last quarter.

So all up I had him down for 10 kicks, 7 handballs and 4 marks in a pretty good showing. He played deep in defence, across half forward and on the wing. While up forward he didn’t work hard enough and although he made a few strong leads he didn’t really demand the ball. He would often stand around even though the ball was about to go forward. He looked pretty tired in the last term and he was probably glad when the game was over. I don’t think he has a great engine and that’ll be something that needs to be worked on. When in the midfield he looked his best as his ability to crash the pack, gain possession and then burn away is very impressive. His speed is really something to behold as he just takes off and leaves them in his tracks. A few times his opponent got away from him a bit but before you know it he’s right back with him. He is very, very quick and he glides across the ground.

Went down to Broadspectrum this afternoon as saw an insipid game of football, but I really wasn’t there for any reason other than to watch #59 in action.

Patrick started on the bench and came on after about 3 or 4 minutes and then he headed for virtually full back, on the Power’s Nathan Krakouer. He checked him very closely and made sure his opponent didn’t get much space. While they went head to head, Krakouer failed to register a possession. He had about 2 touches while in defence, one from a mark after he peeled off his man and the other after he picked up the loose ball and let go of a handball, unfortunately it was chopped off and the end result was a goal. At the 15 minute mark of the term he was then shifted onto the wing and that’s where he looked really at home. Had 3 touches in about 10 minutes and two in particular were very classy. There was a big pack in the midfield and the ball was free, that’s when Danger swooped on the ball, broke free from the pack and shot off a handball. It really was a very impressive piece of play. At quarter time he had 5 possessions, 2 kicks, 3 handballs and 2 marks.

In the second quarter he started on the bench once again and when he came on, again early in the term, this time he was shifted onto the half forward flank. He was involved in a collision after going up for a mark but he failed to hang on as two players converged. Cupido was one and he went down looking very sore, but if he had stayed out of it Danger probably would’ve held onto the mark. He only had the one touch for the quarter, the ball was bouncing into the forward fifty, he picked it up, steadied and just got the kick away as his opponent chased him down and affected the kick. The ball only traveled about 20 metres and landed near the square. Yes he was chased down, but he never really had the chance to steady and run at full pace. He made a few hard leads and ended up around the wing but most times was ignored.

In the third term he again started up forward and he again struggled to get involved. He started on the HFF and from the centre bounces he would run into the midfield. From memory he had about 6 possessions for the term, some were pretty impressive. He started the term with a nice clearance after he crashed the pack, took a few steps and booted it around his body into the forward fifty. In the last quarter he was shifted once again into defence and played mainly on Krakouer. His last term was probably his best and he had another 5 possessions. After Port had kicked a point he called for the ball, they kicked it to his area and he went up and took a strong overhead mark. He dished off by hand to a running teammate. Another piece of impressive play was when Port bombed the ball out of West’s defensive fifty and the ball was bouncing towards the wing. Dangerfield and his opponent went head to head to gather the loose ball and Danger won out, easily as he read the ball well, used his amazing pace and delivered the ball into the forward fifty. Krakouer only had about 2 touches in about the 30-40 minutes they spent on each other, and he managed to goal in the dying stages of the last quarter.

So all up I had him down for 10 kicks, 7 handballs and 4 marks in a pretty good showing. He played deep in defence, across half forward and on the wing. While up forward he didn’t work hard enough and although he made a few strong leads he didn’t really demand the ball. He would often stand around even though the ball was about to go forward. He looked pretty tired in the last term and he was probably glad when the game was over. I don’t think he has a great engine and that’ll be something that needs to be worked on. When in the midfield he looked his best as his ability to crash the pack, gain possession and then burn away is very impressive. His speed is really something to behold as he just takes off and leaves them in his tracks. A few times his opponent got away from him a bit but before you know it he’s right back with him. He is very, very quick and he glides across the ground.

Hey Drummond, always enjoy your reports on the games. I agree it was a very insipid game of footy. Just one point about Dangerfield though, he didnt start on the bench. He started in the backlines on Krakouer right in the goalsquare and he did start the second quarter as well. I think he only was on the bench in the second quarter for about 3 or 4 minutes and then returned to the forward line of the bloods.

Hey Drummond, always enjoy your reports on the games. I agree it was a very insipid game of footy. Just one point about Dangerfield though, he didnt start on the bench. He started in the backlines on Krakouer right in the goalsquare and he did start the second quarter as well. I think he only was on the bench in the second quarter for about 3 or 4 minutes and then returned to the forward line of the bloods.
I thought for sure he started the game on the bench. As for the second quarter, I was 99% convinced Dangerfield got a handball out of a pack early in the second term, but then I saw him down in the forward line about a second later so I thought maybe it wasn't him. But I guess it must have been, he just covers that much ground that quickly! :p

Drumm, you may have mistaken Dangerfield for Ben Fisher (#19). Fisher played forward quite a bit and on a few occasions I had to double check who it was. Danger started the game in the goal square with Krakouer. I thought he played well across half back, but had a few good clearances also. One memorable passage of play was on the outer wing, a 50/50 ball against Rugolo and Danger took the shallow angle to the ball, blitzed him and delivered inside 50.

Agree that he has to work on his engine. Second time I have seen him struggle to run out a game.

Moran was good in the second half in particular. Hargreaves could have been more efficient in front of goal, but I thought Moran used the football well and was strong in the air.

Drumm, you may have mistaken Dangerfield for Ben Fisher (#19). Fisher played forward quite a bit and on a few occasions I had to double check who it was. Danger started the game in the goal square with Krakouer. I thought he played well across half back, but had a few good clearances also. One memorable passage of play was on the outer wing, a 50/50 ball against Rugolo and Danger took the shallow angle to the ball, blitzed him and delivered inside 50.

Agree that he has to work on his engine. Second time I have seen him struggle to run out a game.

Moran was good in the second half in particular. Hargreaves could have been more efficient in front of goal, but I thought Moran used the football well and was strong in the air.
Yeh Dangerfield had that little strapping around his wrist, there was another one who had the same thing, I take it that was Fisher?

But Danger spent a fair bit of time up forward in the second and third quarters. He had Surjan on him at one point.

As for Moran, his first quarter was pretty average but he certainly got better as the game wore on. Spoiled very well and provided a bit of rebound. That one passage of play where he took 3 or 4 bounces was all well and good but he stuffed up the kick and the end result was a goal at the other end. Moran’s tackling and ability to get a fist on the ball was good. He was a little loose on his opponent at first but didn’t allow his man to have much of impact after the first term. But what happened to him late in the game, did he even play in the last term? Me might have started but I don't think he finished on the ground.

Great reporting by you blokes and thanks. :thumbsu: Sounds as though Danger, Moran and Otten will getsome gametime later in the year, that's if the hierarchy decide to let Danger loose this year rather than next. Look forward to seeing the kid in the colours.

Yeah he did have spells up forward during the 2nd and early 3rd. His periods forward were his least effectual but I thought it wasn't his fault to some extent. West's delivery forward was bomb it deep to Cupido at that stage, completely bypassing a lot of the half forward line (Willits, Dangerfield). I wasn't sure if it was either Fisher or Dangerfield that cleaned up Cupido in the 2nd.

Just wish I could catch him in action next week. :mad:

Yeah he did have spells up forward during the 2nd and early 3rd. His periods forward were his least effectual but I thought it wasn't his fault to some extent. West's delivery forward was bomb it deep to Cupido at that stage, completely bypassing a lot of the half forward line (Willits, Dangerfield). I wasn't sure if it was either Fisher or Dangerfield that cleaned up Cupido in the 2nd.

Just wish I could catch him in action next week. :mad:
Was definitely Dangerfield. Cupido went down and was pretty sore for a few minutes. After half time Dangerfield had a bit of strapping on his knee, not sure if it was because of the incident. He had a bit of tape on his left knee, as well as his right after half time, and a bit on his wrist.

BTW, how good was his left foot pass in the last term? He collected the ball, stopped and waited for about 3 seconds, ran a bit then drilled a pass to his teammate on the left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW, how good was his left foot pass in the last term? He collected the ball, stopped and waited for about 3 seconds, ran a bit then drilled a pass to his teammate on the left.

Yep. The game was still to be won and a lot of West players were burning the football. He should poise and composure that I am sure the Adelaide hierarchy in attendance (Reid, Noble, Jonas, Rendell) would have loved. Its something you can't teach.

Interestingly, both games he has played for West - Reid, Jonas and Co. have all been in attendance. I think it obviously demonstrates they value the opportunity to see him play live but I also think it also shows how much they recognise his talent.

Yep. The game was still to be won and a lot of West players were burning the football. He should poise and composure that I am sure the Adelaide hierarchy in attendance (Reid, Noble, Jonas, Rendell) would have loved. Its something you can't teach.

Interestingly, both games he has played for West - Reid, Jonas and Co. have all been in attendance. I think it obviously demonstrates they value the opportunity to see him play live but I also think it also shows how much they recognise his talent.
And Craigy, was there against Norwood and the people next to me said he was there again today.

It shows how strong Dangerfield is because the collision between Cupido and him was pretty hard and Cupido was down for quite a while where as Dangerfield got straight back up and run off. On the radio after the game Dangerfield was interviewed and he said he has put on 5-6kg and grown 2cm in the last year. He went on to say he loves Adelaide and would play anywhere to fulfill his dream of playing AFL. Staight after the game he was catching a taxi to the airport and flying home to Victoria but he will be returning next week.

Dangerfield said he is now 188cm tall.

Thanks for the report Drum :thumbsu:

Saw a bit of footage on the news (i forget which channel) and he's an absolute tank, and ridiculously fast.

Looks a gun.

WestPort004.jpg
WestPort006.jpg
WestPort012.jpg

Strapping much more significant after half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back