Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

we have been far from going well this year, unless you live under a rock we got smacked by the swampies
Smacked with 40 secs to go? Even then where were we on the ladder?

We’ve now dropped out the 8 and you are back?

Any supporter that takes joy out of us losing so in some twisted way he uses that to vindicate his hatred of a young player needs help and should go support the swampies.

I think we’re all overlooking one key thing in all of this.

Given the swell of backlash is growing to a point that the drums almost can’t be ignored, do you honestly believe that Burton, Hass and co. wont mismanage and rush top tier players back if they fear their cushy jobs are at stake?

I can see us playing nobbled top tier players that have been pushed back into the starting lineup underdone in an effort to keep these clowns in jobs.

Aint that the truth

images

Can’t believe Americans didn’t see the Russian interference sooner. That’s deadset Putin in drag.

Love your thread

But when will you realise we are in this position because we haven’t replenished our team properly we don’t know how to draft a team that will be elite only competitive back pocket players and outside runners with your first picks is a waste but let Hamish dig a bigger hole for the club than we are already in. Then we ignore SA talent although first year in and fog signs for two years do you think that may have made the penny drop for our recruiting team that it’s easier and cheaper to hold on to home grown talent, probably not

We need a clean out of staff and unfortunately Roo, is all piss and wind, along with the recruitment staff who have failed at their recruiting to suggest they haven’t then make a thread like this is just plain hypocritical

Some hard decisions need to be made on who has failed in their jobs and it’s pretty obvious we don’t have a list that will win a flag in the next 5 years with the players we have about to finish their careers and the type of player we have drafted to replace them. Then we have the issue of cap room from players holding a gun to our head because it’s so easy for them to play the Go home card

As I said love your thread but don’t be soft and say our list has been replenished right it clearly hasn’t or the thread wouldn’t exist

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Bwahahahahahahaha

hes recruited Back pocket players and outside mids with a few that have disgusting skills
So that’s a “If I list them, I’ll have to admit there are so few of them that my position that our current form is Hamish’s fault will be exposed and I’ll look like a bigger idiot, so I’ll continue to deflect”

That’s ok Marty, we know what you mean.

Our list is good enough to win a premiership and we have a coaching group good enough. We've had a litany of soft tissue injuries and we're 6-5. I'm actually surprised we're 6-5, and I think if it weren't for the coaching group we'd be completely screwed. This is a game where you must capitalise on opportunities, and we didn't, we've completely f$#%ed it. It takes years to assemble a list, open a premiership window, and get the right coaching staff. We do all of that and then our fitness staff, who are supposed to experts, go and injure everyone.

I'm the CEO of a $150m company with 1000 employees. I know how to find problems in organisations and I can smell them a mile off. Those soft tissue injuries are not a statistical anomaly, which makes them human error. The human(s) that made that error have resulted in our season going down the toilet after years of hard work and strategy building the organisation to a capacity where we can achieve what we exist to achieve. This isn't a "we'll learn from it" moment because this person (or persons) have been hired to provide expertise in fitness, and they have messed that up. They are now being allowed to demonstrate that they are not incompetent and can be trusted with our fitness regime. This comes with a large risk because we're rolling the dice assuming that they're competent and can fix it (even though they've already screwed up), and at the same time rolling the dice on our players fitness and everything we exist to achieve. Without sacking someone, which shouldn't be off the table, an external review is the only way to mitigate the risk. If they haven't got a tonne of internal heat on them, and if there hasn't been an external review, then there's a problem.

Season can't be abandoned at this point. The jury is well and truly out on the necessity of a top 4 position to succeed.

Need to get to the bye 8-5 if we can, last night would have eased that pressure. We now need 2/2 the next fortnight.

I think we can beat Freo, but Hawks unlikely. Even if we get to the bye 7-6, it's where Richmond was last year.

We are in an unusual position of having key players currently in cotton wool being prepared for the second half of the season.

You cannot write the season off when a top 6 finish is achievable, and there is another bye before finals. We may end up starting finals at home with a fully fit side, coming into form and with key players only having played half a season.

Now of course the wheels could fall off prior to this and we maybe even miss the 8 altogether. We will know soon enough.

But right now everything is still on the table and a second half of the season assault can't be ruled out
We are not winning for a while unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pyke has a multi year contract and should get shrewd while his job isn't on the line...the OP is 100% spot on and anyone with any ruthlessness in aiming for a flag should totally endorse this direction.
This trade period will be a good test for Pyke. Is he committed to having the best squad possible and the best off-field team possible, or is this year just a whoopsie blamed on injuries that will right itself once we can "play our way" again.

If we get 3-4 top SA juniors in the draft, surely the club could market that big time and sell plenty of hope for 2019 and the future.
They can't go too hard at that angle in their public messaging ... what do they do when we don't have the picks to get high SA talent in other years? They can't risk the draft the best we can from anywhere policy being unpopular.

In this unique set of circumstances with a bumper SA draft crop and plenty of high picks in our hand, I don't think it will hurt one bit if we drop out of finals this year.

If we get 3-4 top SA juniors in the draft, surely the club could market that big time and sell plenty of hope for 2019 and the future.
You would think so. But remember this club has been ultra paranoid about missing the 8 its entire existence and has no faith in youth.

I think the supporters would be on board if it was packaged with a coaching/fitness clean out, but the club is detached from the members and has a mind of its own.

Our list is good enough to win a premiership and we have a coaching group good enough. We've had a litany of soft tissue injuries and we're 6-5. I'm actually surprised we're 6-5, and I think if it weren't for the coaching group we'd be completely screwed. This is a game where you must capitalise on opportunities, and we didn't, we've completely f$#%ed it. It takes years to assemble a list, open a premiership window, and get the right coaching staff. We do all of that and then our fitness staff, who are supposed to experts, go and injure everyone.

I'm the CEO of a $150m company with 1000 employees. I know how to find problems in organisations and I can smell them a mile off. Those soft tissue injuries are not a statistical anomaly, which makes them human error. The human(s) that made that error have resulted in our season going down the toilet after years of hard work and strategy building the organisation to a capacity where we can achieve what we exist to achieve. This isn't a "we'll learn from it" moment because this person (or persons) have been hired to provide expertise in fitness, and they have messed that up. They are now being allowed to demonstrate that they are not incompetent and can be trusted with our fitness regime. This comes with a large risk because we're rolling the dice assuming that they're competent and can fix it (even though they've already screwed up), and at the same time rolling the dice on our players fitness and everything we exist to achieve. Without sacking someone, which shouldn't be off the table, an external review is the only way to mitigate the risk. If they haven't got a tonne of internal heat on them, and if there hasn't been an external review, then there's a problem.

You would think with Pyke's business ventures outside of the AFL bubble that he would be acutely aware of this. I wonder which side will take over, the footy club man, or the businessman. Hopefully it's the latter, because I feel as though he's carrying a couple of people in that coaching group.

PS - I like Pyke as a coach, but how sad is it to look at this squad and think what it could have achieved with Walsh. He was cut from a different cloth wasn't he :-(

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Walsh stuff is a myth. Walsh had a great personality and talked to the media like a boss, which made fans warm to him.

But he wasn't the messiah. He too was a big proponent of the gold pass culture. He had an unhealthy obsession with ground ball as if he had cracked the code. His win - loss wasn't amazing.

Pyke is the better coach by any measure. Walsh would be getting his arse handed to him with such a decimated squad. But he would be more entertaining and relatable to the average footy fan in pressers.

You would think so. But remember this club has been ultra paranoid about missing the 8 its entire existence and has no faith in youth.

I think the supporters would be on board if it was packaged with a coaching/fitness clean out, but the club is detached from the members and has a mind of its own.

The Big Footy supporters would be. The masses would probably be appalled at the thought of turfing club legends, or "our boys".

So that’s a “If I list them, I’ll have to admit there are so few of them that my position that our current form is Hamish’s fault will be exposed and I’ll look like a bigger idiot, so I’ll continue to deflect”

That’s ok Marty, we know what you mean.

Ceebs listing them

It’s damn obvious we are on the decline because we have t turned the players over correctly

We will not win a premiership in the next 5 years maybe even 10 the way we are looking

Major factor is the list who is responsible

Ceebs listing them

It’s damn obvious we are on the decline because we have t turned the players over correctly

We will not win a premiership in the next 5 years maybe even 10 the way we are looking

Major factor is the list who is responsible

186111.gif

You were a young thread, an interesting thread, you had potential, but alas you were unlucky. We could have shared some good times together discussing the immediate future of our club and how to make the most of this season to set our 2019 campaign up for success, but it wasn't meant to be. For now the scourge of threads has returned and you shall fall victim to derailment so that one man's agenda against Ogilvy and Doedee can fester.

The Walsh stuff is a myth. Walsh had a great personality and talked to the media like a boss, which made fans warm to him.

But he wasn't the messiah. He too was a big proponent of the gold pass culture. He had an unhealthy obsession with ground ball as if he had cracked the code. His win - loss wasn't amazing.

Pyke is the better coach by any measure. Walsh would be getting his arse handed to him with such a decimated squad. But he would be more entertaining and relatable to the average footy fan in pressers.
Sadly he didn’t get long enough to prove what sort of a coach he was, the pear seemed to think he was a big loss when he left them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back