Speculation Shai Bolton [OOC 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Like i mentioned Freo have selected extremely well but would doubt many teams would be hitting 83% with 50% projecting elite level.

Bolton would have 6-7 years of football min and could do a sonny walters and play until 35 being light framed
He is a goal kicking mid that could kick 40+ goals a year playing as a full time foward

I would not be interested in a trade unless its overs
Freo probably do have the currency to get the picks required but doubt they would want to cough it all up and Richmond have no rush to trade him with so many years left in shai.

Unless Eagles & Freo get into bed and work out a deal that gets Shai to Freo and Baker to Eagles
I'd consider getting into bed with them, but I'd be straight into a disinfectant bath afterwards.

Ashcroft, Lombard and who else? Have you tried the ladder predictor (wouldnt blame you if not), where do you have Port finishing? Pretty brutal run home for where their form is at. I was very upset Saints whiffed on that game on the weekend, could have locked them for bottom 10 dropping that.
Ashcroft, Hotton, Lombard, Camporeale all a chance to be bid on before Port take their first pick.

I’m tipping Ports first natural pick will be between 13-15. Ashcroft and Lombard will take this out to 15-17, and by then I’d expect the other three to be either taken or in the range. There’s a chance that pick could be as high as 20 if other clubs rate these players.
And I haven’t paid any thought to any FA compo in this either that could push it out even further.

Now, if you could tell me that we could draft a Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw type player for that pick, I’d be keen to talk turkey. But I highly doubt it. And on the flip, I’d highly doubt you’d flip any of those players for two of these picks. And that pretty much tells you the value of the port pick in relation to the player.

Ashcroft, Hotton, Lombard, Camporeale all a chance to be bid on before Port take their first pick.

I’m tipping Ports first natural pick will be between 13-15. Ashcroft and Lombard will take this out to 15-17, and by then I’d expect the other three to be either taken or in the range. There’s a chance that pick could be as high as 20 if other clubs rate these players.
And I haven’t paid any thought to any FA compo in this either that could push it out even further.

Now, if you could tell me that we could draft a Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw type player for that pick, I’d be keen to talk turkey. But I highly doubt it. And on the flip, I’d highly doubt you’d flip any of those players for two of these picks. And that pretty much tells you the value of the port pick in relation to the player.
Hotton isn't academy unless I've missed something. Campo a very outside chance I'd argue. If Port finish that high with their run home, GC run home and the form of Dogs, Brisbane and Hawks then I'll eat a hat. There's a fair bit of mayo on those projections.

Still, definitely Ashcroft and Lombard means it will be hard to have a proper top 10 pick so that's fair.

Last edited:
Hotton isn't academy unless I've missed something. Campo a very outside chance I'd argue. If Port finish that high with their run home, GC run home and the form of Dogs, Brisbane and Hawks then I'll eat a hat. There's a fair bit of mayo on those projections.

Still, definitely Ashcroft and Lombard means it will be hard to have a proper top 10 pick so that's fair.
Port are every chance to finish 4-6.
I’ll hold you to your hat eating if they do.

But for the pick to be a genuine pick 10, Port would have to finish 11th for that to an occur (after Ashcroft and Lombard picks are accounted for.

That ain’t even close to happening, even with your wild prediction on port free falling.

Pick will end up being closer to 20 than 10.
Your other first round picks will be even further out.

2 picks in the teens would get it done I think, especially if we're taking on his salary. He's a nice player for sure but he's not a top 20 in the league player.

Port are every chance to finish 4-6.
I’ll hold you to your hat eating if they do.

But for the pick to be a genuine pick 10, Port would have to finish 11th for that to an occur (after Ashcroft and Lombard picks are accounted for.

That ain’t even close to happening, even with your wild prediction on port free falling.

Pick will end up being closer to 20 than 10.
Your other first round picks will be even further out.
Wild prediction? Two teams I've watched as closely as Freo this year are Port and Pies. Port have won like 5 games under 10 points, have won 1 of their last 4 with that one being just about the ugliest game of the year against a bottom 4 side (if they had lost that they were completely cooked).

Dogs (H) - Dogs comfortably on form
Suns (A) - Suns havent lost at home yet, Suns
Tigers (H) - Easy win (sorry)
Carlton (A) - Easy Blues win, though it is a favourite past time of theirs to screw us so maybe they'll tank it
Swans (H) - Swans
Dees (A) - 50/50
Crows (H) - Showdown, 50/50
Freo (A) - Freo

Take your point it's unlikely to be top 10, but my hats are safe on them finishing 4-6

Wild prediction? Two teams I've watched as closely as Freo this year are Port and Pies. Port have won like 5 games under 10 points, have won 1 of their last 4 with that one being just about the ugliest game of the year against a bottom 4 side (if they had lost that they were completely cooked).

Dogs (H) - Dogs comfortably on form
Suns (A) - Suns havent lost at home yet, Suns
Tigers (H) - Easy win (sorry)
Carlton (A) - Easy Blues win, though it is a favourite past time of theirs to screw us so maybe they'll tank it
Swans (H) - Swans
Dees (A) - 50/50
Crows (H) - Showdown, 50/50
Freo (A) - Freo

Take your point it's unlikely to be top 10, but my hats are safe on them finishing 4-6
No way Dees or Crows are 50/50. Crows especially have their number. Reckon they are more likely to beat the Dogs.

No way Dees or Crows are 50/50. Crows especially have their number. Reckon they are more likely to beat the Dogs.
I'm factoring Dee's being half way to Cancun by then and being "fair" with Crows. Dogs will smash them. My point stands, if Port finish top 4, I'll eat a hat*

*(made of nacho chips)

2 picks in the teens would get it done I think, especially if we're taking on his salary. He's a nice player for sure but he's not a top 20 in the league player.
Well he was named on the field in the all Australian team a couple of seasons ago so that suggests he can be.

2 picks in the teens would not get it done IMO. One would need to be top 10.

Well he was named on the field in the all Australian team a couple of seasons ago so that suggests he can be.

2 picks in the teens would not get it done IMO. One would need to be top 10.
Bolton divisive on the Freo board (mainly because everyone is so hung up on Warner) but I do think this is a clear example of all parties being able to get a win if it has proper legs.

How much cap space would the Tiges pay if we gave our first 2 picks this year?

Surely you're happy to purchase the higher picks for some cap space (looks like you're shedding a shit tonne off your books this year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton divisive on the Freo board (mainly because everyone is so hung up on Warner) but I do think this is a clear example of all parties being able to get a win if it has proper legs.
I'd hate to lose him but I do think he'd be a perfect fit for Freo. Your midfield is already one of the best and they are all defensively sound. We know Bolton isn't great defensively but there are not many better attacking players in the league. He'd have a field day roving to Amiss, Treacy and Jackson forward too. It'd be a seamless transition from Walters.

If he does end up at Freo I'd have them starting flag favorites next year. He is 25 and contracted for 5 years though, so the trade would need to be a big one. I'd expect all 3 of your 1st round picks to be involved if you can't source at least one top 10 pick, plus another in the teens. In which case Id expect we'd give something later back. Eg as it stands now - 12, 13 and 16 for Bolton and 22. There is the option of us paying some of his contract to get it over the line.

I'd hate to lose him but I do think he'd be a perfect fit for Freo. Your midfield is already one of the best and they are all defensively sound. We know Bolton isn't great defensively but there are not many better attacking players in the league. He'd have a field day roving to Amiss, Treacy and Jackson forward too. It'd be a seamless transition from Walters.

If he does end up at Freo I'd have them starting flag favorites next year. He is 25 and contracted for 5 years though, so the trade would need to be a big one. I'd expect all 3 of your 1st round picks to be involved if you can't source at least one top 10 pick. In which case Id expect we'd give something later back. Eg as it stands now - 12, 13 and 16 for Bolton and 22.
Tigers fans are welcome to join the Freo deathride thread. Lets get dem Port and Pies picks as low as we can go.

How much cap space would the Tiges pay if we gave our first 2 picks this year?

Surely you're happy to purchase the higher picks for some cap space (looks like you're shedding a shit tonne off your books this year)
Those are junk first rounders in the teens.
Package them up for a legitimate top 5 pick (when it’s on the board) and it would be worth talking about.

Those are junk first rounders in the teens.
Package them up for a legitimate top 5 pick (when it’s on the board) and it would be worth talking about.
Not the draft to be doing that, looks an even crop this year according to Twomey

Either way, our first pick is probably going to be a top 10, so not junk at all

Unless Eagles & Freo get into bed and work out a deal that gets Shai to Freo and Baker to Eagles
I don’t want Baker but for arguments sake let’s value Bolton as pick 3 and Baker at pick 24:

RICH OUT: Bolton, Baker
RICH IN: 3, 24

WCE IN: 12, 13, Baker
WCE OUT: 3

FREO OUT: 12, 13, 24
FREO IN: Bolton

Anyone not pissed off with that?

I don’t want Baker but for arguments sake let’s value Bolton as pick 3 and Baker at pick 24:

Good effort but i would want 12 or 13 rather than 24

bolton is worth pick 3 easily and baker is a mid 1st rounder

RICH IN: 3, 12

WCE IN: 12, 24, Baker

Baker is going to cost more. Feels like it's not structured right where WC arent dropping down without keeping a top 10 pick (but are under paying) but then we are doing this on non-final draft positions. Going off my totally unbias ladder predictor

RICH IN: 3, 15

WCE IN: 8, Baker

FREO OUT: 8, 15

I think that's an overpay for Bolton personally and would hope Freo get some salary paid for this much, think WC shouldnt be moving down the order and think if Richmond are open to losing Bolton, they should pay Baker more and try to keep him. But that's just me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back