Autopsy Should have Could have - but didn't. Down by 2 against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

our pressure, our ball movement and our defense all stand up against most teams. Its the last kick into our forward line. At times we look unstoppable, but all too often we bomb it in and dont get near it. Its great when Amartey is clunking them, but thats not gonna happen against good teams with quality defenders. 22 more inside fifties last night and 2 shots less than Port? All 3 talls barely touched it and were well beaten by their opponents. Heeney and Will didn't do much. Papley kicked 1.3. Harry Cunningham had 1 kick and 2 handballs! But he was still more useful than Buddy who gave away 4 free kicks. Plus we miss too many set shots.
Considering the ball lived in our forward line, these are damning stats.

He got a boot in the face from Marshall
That would at least make sense, but when did that happen? All I saw was him laying his head down gently on the grass and acting like he got shot. It made no sense at all. I'm not convinced it was a physical problem at all. It's like he expected to get a knock to the head and then acted as though he did. Maybe headgear would help him psychologically if nothing else.

I don't like to be super negative but * last night's kick in the pants still hurts

I am being very dramatic but I just don't see how we come back from this

I'm not generally super negative, but at the back of my mind I do wonder what effect the GF belting had. After a couple of losses the doubts can start creeping in. The next couple of weeks will be critical

Harry has to go that’s 1 change

I can see the midfield getting spanked by the tigers to be honest
A tall also needs to go. The forward is line far too congested with the 3 up forward. It just leads to bigger packs and sucks players into boming high.

I believe this is having am impact on heeneys game. There's less opportunity for him to exploit 1 v 1's which is his greatest strength

A tall also needs to go. The forward is line far too congested with the 3 up forward. It just leads to bigger packs and sucks players into boming high.

I believe this is having am impact on heeneys game. There's less opportunity for him to exploit 1 v 1's which is his greatest strength
Been saying that for a while now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not generally super negative, but at the back of my mind I do wonder what effect the GF belting had. After a couple of losses the doubts can start creeping in. The next couple of weeks will be critical

Just like any other profession or aspect in life when you do a bad job or have a bad experience in a field confidence and self belief takes a hammering.

Its just being human.

I rather we lost the prelim by a kick than lose 15 goals in a GF.

Got this text from my old South mate in Melbourne, reckon he's summed it up pretty well:

Morning Boys,

Happy Easter, left with so many emotions from last night's footy, proud of the attack on the ball, frustrated at some of the dumb decisions made by our boys, like lobbing the ball on Bud's head when playing on Allir allir, annoyed at the crucial incorrect decisions paid in that last quarter, but mostly, concerned for Paddy
They say that losses like that are strengthening, all I know is they hurt!!!

Longmire wasn’t to concerned about the ball use or the high ball , more so we need to bring it to ground

We must be told to bomb amd get it in there maybe

move it quick at all costs and win the inside 50s?

Longmire doesn't really give much away at a presser I guess

I rather we lost the prelim by a kick than lose 15 goals in a GF.

This sounds ridiculous to me. It's always better to make the gf than not make it. Losing to Collingwood by a kick after playing so well for most of the game would have left its own scars.

I think this belief that getting thrashed in the grand final ruins the next season is a bit of nonsense anyway. The players are professionals who get 6 months to recover from the disappointment. I refuse to believe we are so mentally weak that we allow one bad game at the end of a fantastic season to ruin our confidence and skills.

Longmire wasn’t to concerned about the ball use or the high ball , more so we need to bring it to ground

We must be told to bomb amd get it in there maybe
But who is our crumbing forward if we do bring it to ground?

It’s not Papley - he’s more a lead up player.

It’s not Cunningham.

It’s not Heeney or Hayward.

It’s nobody.

Which is why our scores last night were mainly long shots from the mids, or via frees.

We can’t take pack marks, we can’t lock it in, we can’t crumb goals - so why on earth would be continue to bomb it in?!?!

The answer - we are addicted to Buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Should have Could have - but didn't. Down by 2 against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back