Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (10) released 20/8

Season (10) :
• Noah Long (Knee)
• Elijah Hewett (Foot)
• Tyler Brockman (Ankle)
• Callum Jamieson (Ankle/Knee)
• Dom Sheed (Foot/Hamstring)
• Luke Edwards (Concussion)
• Josh Rotham (Abdominal)
• Tom Barrass (Back/Hamstring) - Was 1-2 weeks
• Jeremy McGovern (Thumb) - New
• Jamaine Jones (Concussion) - New

It’s the last game of the season so all players are now listed as out for the season

Chesser and Burgiel have both been removed from the list after recovering from their respective injuries

Andrew Gaff has retired and won’t be available to play

Guess we have to wait to see if he's named round 1 to play against Charlie Cameron

At this stage are there any players with confirmed injuries that rules them out of round one next year?

Long has started running again hasn't he? Hopefully he should be able to have a full re season. Or at least only slightly modified.

At this stage are there any players with confirmed injuries that rules them out of round one next year?

Long has started running again hasn't he? Hopefully he should be able to have a full re season. Or at least only slightly modified.

Preseason starts in about 3 months (mid to late November) but this is what we know :

• Sheed has had an operation on his foot injury that has been troubling him for the last two seasons. Remains to be seen if that solves the issue and when he can resume training
• Hewett continues to have ongoing foot problems, the nature and extent of which haven’t really been explained. At this stage, a return can only be considered hopeful rather than expected
• Brockman had a syndesmosis injury that ruled him out for the year but doubt that stops him from being ready for preseason
• Long has been able to start running again after his knee injury earlier in the year so should be also be good for preseason
• Luke Edwards has to go through a medical assessment for his concussion symptoms but may be delisted anyway
• McGovern has had or about to have thumb surgery but can’t see that keeping out of preseason
• Jamieson has had knee and ankle surgery so is likely to face a delayed or at least modified start to preseason

Hough we don’t know the severity of his knee injury yet so he’s an unknown

Other players like Kelly (grumbly knee) and Cripps (hand) have both pushed through to get to the end of the season and may require surgery that may or may not delay a return to full training. There may be others we haven’t heard about yet

Overall, we’re not in bad shape with Hewett being the main concern due to his importance to the side going forward and the complicated nature of his injury. Hough as well pending what the scans reveal

Preseason starts in about 3 months (mid to late November) but this is what we know :

• Sheed has had an operation on his foot injury that has been troubling him for the last two seasons. Remains to be seen if that solves the issue and when he can resume training
• Hewett continues to have ongoing foot problems, the nature and extent of which haven’t really been explained. At this stage, a return can only be considered hopeful rather than expected
• Brockman had a syndesmosis injury that ruled him out for the year but doubt that stops him from being ready for preseason
• Long has been able to start running again after his knee injury earlier in the year so should be also be good for preseason
• Luke Edwards has to go through a medical assessment for his concussion symptoms but may be delisted anyway
• McGovern has had or about to have thumb surgery but can’t see that keeping out of preseason
• Jamieson has had knee and ankle surgery so is likely to face a delayed or at least modified start to preseason

Other players like Kelly (grumbly knee) and Cripps (hand) have both pushed through to get to the end of the season and may require surgery that may or may not delay a return to full training. There may be others we haven’t heard about yet

Overall, we’re not in bad shape with Hewett being the main concern due to his importance to the side going forward and the complicated nature of his injury. Hough as well pending what the scans reveal
I would have thought 4-6 weeks off at the most would be 'professional'

I would have thought 4-6 weeks off at the most would be 'professional'

Take it up with the AFLPA

Return to train dates are set by them in conjunction with the AFL as part of the collective bargaining agreement

The club is unable to force the players to return any earlier, however, it is expected the players come back for the start of preseason in good shape. They are also allowed to use the club facilities whilst they’re on their break

Last year many of the players trained in small groups together and overall they presented well for the start of preseason which was the best one we had for some time

Take it up with the AFLPA

Return to train dates are set by them in conjunction with the AFL as part of the collective bargaining agreement

The club is unable to force the players to return any earlier, however, it is expected the players come back for the start of preseason in good shape. They are also allowed to use the club facilities whilst they’re on their break

Last year many of the players trained in small groups together and overall they presented well for the start of preseason which was the best one we had for some time
Well understood by all I would think but it doesn't = a committed, elite professional athletes commitment. Our last few seasons are tabled as evidence.

You know the rules are the same for every club, right?

Yeah but f*ck the soft cap, what's the point in having all this money if we don't use it to our advantage?!

Hang on, am I in the right thread?

Yeah but f*ck the soft cap, what's the point in having all this money if we don't use it to our advantage?!

Hang on, am I in the right thread?

Can’t believe Pyke hasn’t changed it already, what’s he been doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley probably to undergo finger surgery - he seemed bothered by it in a few games towards the end of the year.

Also...why tf does it take so long for scans in Perth?

Could just be waiting for swelling to go down

This is a large part of the problem with interstate travel and games. Unless you are on a Charter flight at 10000 feet post injury everything swells up.

All precautions were taken and while I know for a fact he was expected to have a scan today and he didn't have a drink post match or during our catch up flying all the way back to WA with an injury on a normal flight the chances of increased swelling are incredibly high.

When I hurt my knee they still did the scan even tho my knee was swelled up to twice the size of my leg. That said mine wasn’t ligament or bone damage they still found what was wrong

Praise Jebus.

Wrestlemania Vii Crying GIF by WWE

Barrass is a smart guy and a deep thinker. I doubt he's throwing a tantrum. It wouldn't surprise me if the club has done him dirty a bit with all of this. He's paid significantly lower than some of our other pea hearted stars.
Perfect time to trade. Looking at our previous high paid stars from 2018 era they all got injured got fat or both except Gaff who just got useless .

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back