Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone told me the Saints win 65% of their games when Max King doesn't play and only 47% when he does play.

Can anyone confirm this?

Someone told me the Saints win 65% of their games when Max King doesn't play and only 47% when he does play.

Can anyone confirm this?

This feels like a bait comment.

Probably best to look that up yourself.

Even if true, correlation does not equal causation and you wouldn't be able to base an argument on that stat alone.

This feels like a bait comment.

Probably best to look that up yourself.

Even if true, correlation does not equal causation and you wouldn't be able to base an argument on that stat alone.
I just want to know the stat.

Leave others to decide how they want to interpret it.

I don't think it's a Max issue. i think its a coaching issue.. different game plan when he plays and that game plan doesn't work.

I don't think it's a Max issue. i think its a coaching issue.. different game plan when he plays and that game plan doesn't work.

Yeah I'm not sure, but it feels right % wise.

It could also be coincidence, to me our midfield has lifted significantly in the back half of this year and likewise last year our slump came when our mids and pressure game dropped off and that just happened at around the time Max came back. (However Max was playing pretty well last year even when we were not)

Max needs to work on his leading and second efforts I'll give you that. Its nice having Sharman fill his role and always be hitting up the ball carrier and kicking straight.

I did the numbers a couple of weeks ago as I thought it was actually higher than 65%, but we lost a few games early this year when he wasn’t playing (amongst many others) and that dropped it down to 60%.

I think it’s now 61.5%, to 47% when he’s been there.

The really fascinating thing I found though was that of the 14 games we’d won from the 23 he’s missed since the start of his career, we’d won 5 of them by 50 points or more.

So a whopping 35% of our wins when he’s been missing have been by 50 points or more.

The percentage of games we’ve won by 50 points or more when he’s played… 12%.

So we win big almost 3 times more often when he’s not there than when he is.

And it’s not as if all of those 50 or more point wins when he wasn’t there were against terrible teams, as 3 of them were against teams in or around the 8.

And two weeks ago we won by 48 points, so it was almost a 6th 50 or more point win from just 16 wins.

By far our two best/most dominant periods since Lyon has returned have been when Max wasn’t playing.

This last period where we’ve won 5 of 7 since he’s gone out, and the start of last year, when we won our first 4, and 6 of our first 8 (with the two losses being 6 and 7 point losses to eventual top 3 teams, Collingwood and Port).

We are soooooooooo much less predictable when it’s Caminiti, Sharman, Membrey, Owens and sometimes Wood as the main marking targets up there.

Last edited:
I did the numbers a couple of weeks ago as I thought it was actually higher than 65%, but we lost a few games early this year when he wasn’t playing (amongst many others) and that dropped it down to 60%.

I think it’s now 61.5%, to 47% when he’s been there.

The really fascinating thing I found though was that of the 14 games we’d won from the 23 he’s missed since the start of his career, we’d won 5 of them by 50 points or more.

So a whopping 35% of our wins when he’s been missing have been by 50 points or more.

The percentage of games we’ve won by 50 points or more when he’s played… 12%.

So we win big almost 3 times more often when he’s not there than when he is.

And it’s not as if all of those 50 or more point wins when he wasn’t there were against terrible teams, as 3 of them were against teams in or around the 8.

And two weeks ago we won by 48 points, so it was almost a 6th 50 or more point win from just 16 wins.

By far our two best/most dominant periods since Lyon has returned have been when Max wasn’t playing.

This last period where we’ve won 5 of 7 since he’s gone out, and the start of last year, when we won our first 4, and 6 of our first 8 (with the two losses being 6 and 7 point losses to eventual top 3 teams, Collingwood and Port).

We are soooooooooo much less predictable when it’s Caminiti, Sharman, Membrey, Owens and sometimes Wood as the main marking targets up there.
Agree with this analysis.
When Max plays they tend to go for deep entries. Let max compete one against three in the air. Then try and lock it in to the fwd line. This makes it very hard to score even if you have the ball locked inside 50 for longer periods. It leads to lots of points and rushed points or shots under pressure in congestion.

When Max isn't there they look for shallow entries and try and score from further out and using fast ball movement to get the defence caught out. It seems to work much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did really well when the pressure was off them to make finals, which is probably the key to their club.

Don’t expect much and they won’t disappoint.
When there is nothing to play for they will give their fans some joy.
This will be the mantra of these Ross Lyon years.

Season overall disappointing but finished strongly with Rossy getting them playing a more cohesive and fluent brand of footy.

Encouraging for next season.
It always seems that the teams who don’t make finals but finish strongly take some momentum into next season and do better. Stuff draft picks, well done Saints.

They did really well when the pressure was off them to make finals, which is probably the key to their club.

Don’t expect much and they won’t disappoint.
When there is nothing to play for they will give their fans some joy.
This will be the mantra of these Ross Lyon years.
We won when it mattered when finals were on the line at the end of both last season and the 2020 season. Won crucial games against good teams to make the 8 each time.

This year, while there was virtually no mention of it in the media, we were smashed by injuries in the first half of the year (missing 8 of our best 22 from R1 and a similar number each week until about R8 or 10, and our midfield in particular was decimated).

Yet we were still ultra-competitive most weeks (losing 5 games by 10 points or less), despite playing interstate/Geelong every 2nd week, and not having our first genuine home-ground-advantage game until we played Freo at Marvel in R10!

First 9 weeks without a genuine home ground advantage, while missing 7-8 of our best 22 pretty much that whole time, our midfield decimated, and playing 5 of our first 9 games interstate or in Geelong.

No surprise we started 3-7.

So all-in-all I think we did about as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

11 wins, and 6 losses by 10 points or less (including 1 point to GWS in Canberra, 5 points to Hawthorn in Tassie, 8 points to Geelong in Geelong and 10 points to Port in Adelaide).

Last edited:
It always seems that the teams who don’t make finals but finish strongly take some momentum into next season and do better. Stuff draft picks, well done Saints.

Adelaide, Freo and North didn't make finals but finished "strongly" last season.

How'd that work out for them this year?

With the greatest respect, the thread is about the saints finishing mid table and again they've finished mid table.

They have some good players and Ross is finally implementing some systems that are clicking.

Not sure it'll be enough to improve next year as it stands, trade week will give a lot more answers
We’re pretty much in a rebuilding mode (have had a focus of hitting the draft the last two years, and will do so again this year), yet unlike most of the other rebuilding teams, we’ve stayed ultra-competitive for a number of years on end now (11 wins this year, 13 last year, 11 in 2022, 10 in 2021, 10 from 17 in 2020, 9 in 2019), but that means that you don’t get to pick from the pointy-end of the draft, unlike the teams that become a basket case.

So you essentially get penalised for not becoming an uncompetitive rabble. While the teams that do, basically get “rewarded”. While really good players don’t want to come play for you, as you’re not quite in serious contention.

It’s a very difficult place to get out of.

We’re pretty much in a rebuilding mode (have had a focus of hitting the draft the last two years, and will do so again this year), yet unlike most of the other rebuilding teams, we’ve stayed ultra-competitive for a number of years on end now (11 wins this year, 13 last year, 11 in 2022, 10 in 2021, 10 from 17 in 2020, 9 in 2019), but that means that you don’t get to pick from the pointy-end of the draft, unlike the teams that become a basket case.

So you essentially get penalised for not becoming an uncompetitive rabble. While the teams that do, basically get “rewarded”. While really good players don’t want to come play for you, as you’re not quite in serious contention.

It’s a very difficult place to get out of.
Pretty much where I was going.

One thing SOS is good at is manufacturing picks so draft and trade should be exciting at least!

Pretty much where I was going.

One thing SOS is good at is manufacturing picks so draft and trade should be exciting at least!

Jack Martin is available if SOS wants another of his now rejects...

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back