News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup agreed 👍

Give up our first in a second for him.

Got to take a risk to get a flag, we have hit the draft for years now.

Can't think of our last big hit from a first round non-Academy selection in quite a while.. Florent?

EDIT: I guess technically Logan too.

Regards Barrass, or any other high value trade (not HH who is a FA) requiring the use of picks we should note that unusually this year we have a first, two seconds, two thirds, a fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh. The last two likely passes but the rest possibly live. Not to mention next year's.
Highly unlikely we would draft 7 players. We might want as few as three, maybe four. Cleary might soak up a couple of later picks. Rookies?
It might be a good move to use some of those picks to bring in a big fish. Gold Coast might be interested in some. West Coast too.
Just saying.

Barrass turns 28 in october
Barrass misses 30% of games due to injury - he has never played a full season. The best he has done is 19 games
Injuries tend to become more frequent as players get older.

If we make finals theres a 1 in 3 chance he will be injured
No way are packaging up our 1st and 2 x 2nds (thats what it will take) for gold coasts 1st. No way he is worth a top 10 pick!

The draft capital that is being spoken of here and in the media has me feeling I Dont want him at all, not to mention the salary cap and the possibility of having to extend his already 4 year contract to get him to leave

Barrass turns 28 in october
Barrass misses 30% of games due to injury - he has never played a full season. The best he has done is 19 games
Injuries tend to become more frequent as players get older.

No way are packaging up our 1st and 2 x 2nds (thats what it will take) for gold coasts 1st. No way he is worth a top 10 pick!

The draft capital that is being spoken of here and in the media has me feeling I Dont want him at all, not to mention the salary cap and the possibility of having to extend his already 4 year contract to get him to leave
What risk would you take to push the team over the line - based off last year we are clearly able to contend with the current group

Something can simultaneously be an overpay and still be the right decision for the team.

In a vacuum, a pick in the 6-10 range is probably an overpay for Barrass. It's not a move that a club like Melbourne - who are set at the back - or Hawthorn - who are rebuilding - would make, but for a team like ours who are maybe 2 or 3 players away from being right back in the window? You have to pull the trigger.

Something can simultaneously be an overpay and still be the right decision for the team.

In a vacuum, a pick in the 6-10 range is probably an overpay for Barrass. It's not a move that a club like Melbourne - who are set at the back - or Hawthorn - who are rebuilding - would make, but for a team like ours who are maybe 2 or 3 players away from being right back in the window? You have to pull the trigger.
Let's be honest, if he helps fill in the gap to win a premiership, will we really care about what he cost?

[QUOTE="SGBeach, post: 80257281, member:

No way are packaging up our 1st and 2 x 2nds (thats what it will take) for gold coasts 1st. No way he is worth a top 10 pick
[/QUOTE]
Gold Coast want points not picks. As long as the points are more than their first round pick they will swap.

25JUL23: Swans Daily Media

There'll more than a few comments on this one...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad some people here are not in charge of the Swans list management. Paying top dollar for a player who only has another 2 or 3 years at his best feels like a dumb decision.
The conventional wisdom across the league is that we'll give our first and then some, not just here.

Perth radio reporting that:

(a) West Coast has asked Sydney about Logan, Chad and Gus. But are resigned to none of them being on the table. First rounder is being mooted as the most likely option. West Coast players now saying “we hope Tom is here next year” - they’ve seen the writing on the wall.

(b) Horse’s presser today interpreted as “Buddy is really sore & his body won’t let him play on beyond this year”.

There'll more than a few comments on this one...

Worst report ever from the Mongrel. Self-indulgent rubbish from a new reporter. Nothing like HB's work.

What risk would you take to push the team over the line - based off last year we are clearly able to contend with the current group
Firstly Im not a list manager of an AFL team, so I've no idea of any contract details. So in short, I dont know (sh*t answer sorry)

But
Ive watched the Swans play without 2 x McCartins + Rampe + Logan + Reid + Amartey + Buddy + both our rucks being injured or underdone. We went from grand finalists to crap. Same thing happened a few years ago resulting in Allirr playing ruck and a bottom 4 finish.
Ive watched Reids career show so much at times but never really contribute to success due to injury,, same goes with Amartey who has huge upside but is yet to complete a pre-season and hasn't come close to completing a season. Injured players are useless.. Injured talls that our team structure is built around are worse.
A big reason for the Swans defence being so good in the past was Grundy and Smith (+ others) never getting injured. A back 6 has to play together every game to understand each other and play as One
If T Mac and Melican played every game without injury next year, we would be better than good.
Himmelberg doesn't get injured.. Arnold looks good and seems to not be injury prone.. How far away is Will Edwards? Maybe more interceptors rather than lock down defenders but I think those roles overlap more and more..

Of course Barrass will make our team better (when fit) for the next 3 maybe 4 years. I question how much hes worth?
If a late 1st - early 2nd,, then yep trade him in.

PS. just to be a smart ass - We weren't able to contend the moment Reid got injured. Would Barrass be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back